main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Here We Go, Steelers, Here We Go

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 5, 2007.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    ... Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl!

I can't believe we're on the eve of another NFL season and I still hadn't gotten around to making a thread dedicated to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I'm excited for this season. I think the team was complacent last year, took plays (and games) off too often, and was hurt by distractions off the field (bike accident, Cowher's last season, etc). Now, we have a healthy Ben Roethlisberger, a rejuvenated defense, and an offense that looks like it should click.

I see no reason to not expect the Stillers to win (at least) the AFC North this season. The Ravens are a year old (and McNair's legs are a year older), the Bungles haven't solved their defensive problems (how many points did they give up in the second half to the Chargers last year?), and the Clowns are still the Clowns (they do worry me as an upset in the second meeting, though). This isn't to say the Stillers don't have their problems, because they do (Ike Taylor especially worries me), but I don't see why they shouldn't at least win the division.

So come on, Steelers fans. Let's get amped up for this season and start the ring collection on hand number 2!

2. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    How are you a fan of every Cleveland team but the Browns?

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I credit my dad. He grew up in Youngstown, and his dad basically worked in Pennsylvania thanks to working on the railroads. He instilled my love of sports in me, and he's a diehard Steelers fan.

But it was tough growing up in Cleveland in the '80's and cheering on the Stillers. Those were rough years.

4. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Heh, I can imagine. :p

The Steelers are capable of winning the division, but I imagine the Bengals will have some pretty big chips on their shoulders after their own letdown season last year.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I'm not feeling too optimistic for the Steelers this season. :p

6. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm an Eagles fan so while I can't really root for the Steelers, I do hope they achieve some success as Big Ben is my QB for fantasy football.

7. Tim_In_CT

Tim_In_CT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Unfortunately I feel they are in a rebuilding phase, and might take some time to work together as a "Steel Curtain".

And if you are curious, I'm born and raised in the Smokey City, and waited a long time for "One For The Thumb".

I'm slightly displaced now, but occasionly I get the game on TV or run out to the bar that shows all the games.

8. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    http://steelers12thman.ytmnd.com/

http://seahawksgotraped.ytmnd.com/

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    either add to the discussion, or don't post in the thread. Antagonizing/baiting/fishing posts are not welcome.

10. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Says the Steelers superfan! :p

Come on Inty, it's just a little playful trashtalking, I'm sure he wasn't trying to offend anyone.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd make the same statement if someone went to a Cowboys thread and posted nothing but the Romo fumble from last year.

Defense looks good, offense looked good early. Need to learn how to hold onto the ball, and I'll be happy. Of course, much like Ohio State, it'll be interesting to see what they do against a real team.

12. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Oh, I know, I'm just saying it's just a little playful ribbing is all. :p

The Steelers are beating the snot out of the Browns, Ben's looked pretty good, so that must have made you relax a little bit. :

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah. He's only made one really bad decision so far. Three touchdowns, no picks. I'm happy about that. And, anyone watching the game can see that his completion % should be higher.

14. Tim_In_CT

Tim_In_CT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Ok, one down.. [face_dancing]

"The Steelers took an early lead over the Cleveland Browns and never looked back as they got the Mike Tomlin era started with a 34-7 win on the road."

Just a few more to go.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I have got to find a YouTube (or at least a .gif) of Santonio striking the O-H in either yesterday's game (after the long TD) or last season's game-winning, season-ending TD against Cincy. Best. Touchdown. Celebration. (at least that combines with crowd-specific smak-talk)

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Another solid win today for the Steelers. Would like to see them do better with catching catchable passes, but beyond that there's little to complain about. Couple that with the Bengals Defense making last week's win look just a little more impressive, and you have a good day in my books.

17. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    It's playoff time baby! I know everybody is picking Jacksonville to annihlate us on Saturday and rightfully so, But I think Dick Lebeau has something up his sleeve and think it's gonna be alot closer than the experts think. Besides, I'd take Ben Roethlisberger over David Garrard any day of the week. Let's hear ya Steeler Nation! =D=

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    unlocking and upping on request

19. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    You didn't request it of yourself Inty? :p

20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    No, he didn't. [face_whistling]

Anyway, since the NFL thread seems to be all about Ben and has a general anti-Steelers vibe, I thought it might be nice to bring this thread up from the archives for Steelers fans.

21. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    ... all three of you. lol

Just messin'. :p I'll be cheering for the Steelers, too, though I'm not really a fan of the team or anything.

I do love Hines Ward, however. [face_love]

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_talk_hand] :p

I mean, it won't be that different than the Landon Donovan Mancrush thread, and Inty and I have a good time posting there. :p

23. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    But you have me in the Landon Donovan crush thread!

24. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Had my heart in my chest against Baltimore and the Jets; we're waaaaaaaay too good at finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, and the Packers should be a hell of a game.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That is true, 'sey. The MLS Cup Final was probably the best non-WC night of the thread's life. :D

To win the Super Bowl, we've gotta play two great halves. The game against the Jets was a bit different, with a 24-point cushion, but I don't think that that'll be the case against the Packers.