main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Here We Go, Steelers, Here We Go

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 5, 2007.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Tomlin has a bit too much Tressel in him, in my opinion. Only it's on defense, not offense. Against the Cardinals in the Super Bowl, that game had no business being so close, but the defense backed off a bit, got soft, and the game got close. Same thing happened against the Jets last week. I really would have liked to see Tomlin stick to the guns and have that killer instinct and remove all doubt from that game.

But, then we would have been robbed of a second consecutive Roethlisberger-to-Brown heroic catch ...

But, yeah, the Packers ... should be a good game. I don't know if they can run on the Steelers, but I don't know that them not being able to run will stop some of the guessers on the Steelers' defense from biting really hard on play action (Timmons, Polomalu, Taylor, Clark among those likely to get burned by it).

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, a win is the thing that's most important. Although, there's nothing wrong with the Steelers on the good side of a blowout. :)

And you're right, Troy can be too aggressive for his own good. I'm glad that his Achilles will have some more time to heal, though.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The Cardinals-Steelers Super Bowl had no business being so close? I think you forget who the Cardinals quarterback was. Kurt Warner is one of the greatest ever to play the position, and no defense the Steelers used was going to stop him completely. Eventually, he and Todd Haley started finding weaknesses and exploited them. Remember as well that it was only James Harrison stepping into a passing lane at the last moment that kept the Cardinals from taking a lead going into the second half. They ran that same play again the next season during a game and scored easily.

If anything, it was because the Cardinals were too efficient in slicing up the Steelers' defense that they lost. Had Warner methodically gone down the field, instead of hitting Fitzgerald right from the start of their last real drive, the Cardinals probably win. The Steelers wouldn't have had enough time left on the clock to do anything.

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    No, that's no good at all. :( I don't trust Ligursky the way that I do Pouncey...but hopefully, by taking the first team snaps for all the practices, he won't have any fumble/exchange issues, like last week.

6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Update on the Pouncey injury front...he's listed as questionable on the injury report, so that's a good sign. The Post-Gazette's reporting that he wore a protective boot to practice on Friday, and not the hard cast that he had been wearing. Hopefully he'll be healthy enough to go on February 6.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm not gonna stop worry about Pouncey until he's actually lined up on the field and playing next Sunday.

And, I guess I watched a different Super Bowl than you, KW. Because the one I watched had the Cards being held to one first down in the first quarter, getting a gift INT on a tipped pass, and then getting stomach punched at the end of the first half. If the Steelers come out and play attacking defense from the start in the second half, that games is not being decided in the final moment. But, they thought the game was over, called off the dogs a bit, and had to rally for a dramatic win.

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Completely, completely disagreed. The Cardinals played the Steelers evenly, and frankly I think they were the better team, despite how it turned out.

Winning teams have started slow before, as you know. Playing heavily attacking defense plays right into Kurt Warner's hands, or did when he was active. He was merciless in exploiting blitzes, and I imagine Dick LeBeau was well aware of that. You also seem to ignore how resilient the Cardinals were in overcoming what happened at the end of the first half. They fought back, scored a touchdown, stopped the Steelers in the end zone to force a safety, and then scored moments later in real time, not just game time.

No, the Cardinals smacked the Steelers around just as much as the other way around. The Steelers also should have been without the services of James Harrison partway through the game, because he should have been kicked out.

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    True, Inty, but I do feel slightly better about the center position than I did before Friday.

I certainly give Arizona credit for playing a much better second half, but if they were truly the better team in the game, they would have found a way to win.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Perhaps, but the better overall team doesn't always win the title. You only have to be the best team for one day.

At any rate, it was a very even game, and the Steelers were very lucky to win. If Darnell Dockett keeps charging Roethslisberger at the beginning of that final drive, he ends up within spitting distance of his own end zone, and the game's over. That's the one moment that I think about perhaps more than any other. First and 20, and they had him running for his life. Roethsliberger is a big guy, but if Dockett doesn't go for the fake, he crushes Roethsliberger and the game's over.

But, that's how it goes.

11. Darth_Fred

Darth_Fred Jedi Master star 5

Mar 1, 2004
    It doesn't even have to be the better team. Get more breaks, convert an opportunity...it can come down to small stuff. I do have to say, I've not seen many view Warner quite as highly as you do, KnightWriter.

I'm rooting for the Packers, but I've always respected (for the most part) the Steelers. :)

12. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Despite being listed as questionable, it's looking less and less likely that Pouncey will play. He's a great player for sure, but he's not going to win or loose the Steelers the Super Bowl.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Without Pouncey, I don't know if we can get the run game going. Without that ... well, I know Ben can win it, I just don't know if he will.

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    The Steelers ran the ball well against the Jets in the AFC Championship Game. Then again, I'd probably say that the Packers D is better than the Jets against the run.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    BJ Raji is a lot better than anyone on the Jets line. He could be Super Bowl MVP if Legursky's off.

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I suppose that's true. Guess we'll have to see.

I can't wait fot Sunday...I just want to get this game started. :p

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah, I'm getting restless about it. Part of me hates the two week lay off, simply because of this.

Hung my Terrible Towel in my cube at work yesterday. I'll take it down Thursday, so I'll have it for the game. There have been exactly three games so far in my life where I've sat at home and waived my Terrible Towel during the game. The Steelers are 2-1 in those games. The fourth will be this Sunday.

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm not going to touch my Terrible Towel. I got a new one this year and took it to the Patriots game...that didn't go so well. :p

I also have one from Super Bowl XL and one from circa 1995, but they're at my granparents.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Peter King on Twitter is quoting Mike Tomlin and reporting that Pouncey is out.

[face_worried]

20. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    What's the third, assuming the other two are XL and XLIII?

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Not a big surprise, an really, it's not going to make or break the season.

I'm sick of all this coverage...can it be Sunday already?

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Super Bowl XXX

23. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    :oops:

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    [image=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/DarthIntegral/troycar.jpg]

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Heh, that's sweet.