main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Heres a theory for you: Who ever said Anakin fell into a pit of lava?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by The_Jedi_Man, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Jedi_Man

The_Jedi_Man Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2002
    from what i can gather Anakin falling into a pit of lava is just EU speculation, and as GL says EU aint cannon, so i wont be surprised if ANAkin doesnt fall into a pit of lava.
    Maybe he was zapped really bad by Palpy, to make him join the dark side like Paply did to lUke, maybe thats why Vader throws him down the sharft, cos of bad memories, or Anakin had something fall on him

What you reckon?

2. JediCulture

JediCulture Jedi Master

May 4, 2002
    Good question.

I always wondered where this story came from actually.

I remember years and years and years ago, during the time when the OT was running, I read one story which said that Anakin was arrogant enough to believe he could take on and defeat Palpatine. Anakin was beaten in the subsequent battle, sustained horrific injuries and was re-born as Vader.

This theory could be supported by Yoda's warning to Luke in ROTJ - "Do not under estimate the power of the Emporer, or suffer your father's fate you will".

3. EwoksBecomeGremlins

EwoksBecomeGremlins Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    Two great points and I hope it's not true....I've been testing the strength of my shower rod

4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    The ROTJ novelization stated that Anakin got his injuries dueling Obi-Wan near a lava pit. That's where it came from. The ROTJ novelization also says that Anakin never met Yoda, and some other things that have come out as false, so take it as you will. Its a canon source, but one that can be contradicted.

5. Dayron_Fett

Dayron_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    According to the ROTJ Novelization Anakin never met Yoda? Wow...I guess doing the last 3 movies, then following with the first 3 can make it take a few loops... heh.

6. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Did it say that Anakin never met Yoda or Vader never met Yoda?

The latter could be possible...from [all together now] a certain point of view...

--Joey

7. snailwalker_DK

snailwalker_DK Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Well some good posts. But I was wondering if Anikan falls into the pit of lava, who would rescue him from it? Palp?

8. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...most of us here on this board have conceded that no humanoid would be able to survive a fall in lava...it immediately burns off your limbs...and even it you were to somehow get out, you would still be covered in it...leading to death...

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>The ROTJ novelization also says that Anakin never met Yoda...<<

Actually, what it says is that Vader/Anakin "would have liked to have met Yoda, to thank him for training Luke" or something along those lines. Which means Vader/Anakin would have had to have met Yoda after he trained Luke in order for that to be false, which we all know didn't happen. So there's no contradiction there. The only thing contradicted in the ROTJ novelization (according to the OS) is the Obi-Wan/Owen being brothers thing- and thats only because Lucas changed his mind during the past 15 years[face_batting]

(and even that can can be explained away in a couple different ways without resorting to a convulted family tree...)

Time will tell if Lucas sticks to his original plan or not.

10. Monster0

Monster0 Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2002
    I have this thing. I wish it was in front of me right now.

It was handed to me this weekend by my brother.

It is called "The Fall of the Republic. -The Adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi" And it looks like a script treatment for the Episode 1. Accordind to the cover sheet it was copyrighted in 1983. Don't remeber the Author.

Anyway, why am I telling you this?

Well in the first few pages it has Anikin and Kenobi fighting over a powerful Crystal on a volcanic planet. And Anikin takes the lava plung.

I don't know if this thing is real or not but it was in there.

When I get home I will give you more info.

11. Monster0

Monster0 Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2002
    Sorry I ment to say " I had this thing in front of me this morning."

I am at work now and the script is at home.

12. waynehead

waynehead Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 1998
    In addition to the rotj novelization there's a famous picture floating around showing the hypothetical lava-planet...it's a drawing GL asked someone to do based on his plans for episode 3, I think.

13. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    IIRC, the ROTJ novelization says that Anakin falls into a molten pit. A molten pit does not necessarily involve lava. Personally, I?m hoping that he falls into a pit of molten metal, in a foundry. I?d like the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel to be in an area surround by technology, very much like the carbon chamber duel of ESB. I want lots of hissing valves and dangerous mechanical stuff. Throw in a few extra catwalks over fiery molten pits, and you?ve got yourself a duel that is in my mind better than a mouth-of-a-Volcano duel.

14. KRISTEN

KRISTEN Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2001
    I don't think that Obi-Wan will push Anakin into the pit, I think that Anakin will miss a step and fall in. Then Obi-Wan will go to grab Anakin and all he can hold onto is Anakin's lightsaber. So anakin has one end and Obi-wan has the other, but anakin can't hold on anymore and he falls and then Obi-Wan is left alone holding Anakin's lightsaber. This is how Obi-Wan gets it to get to Luke.

15. Joey-WanKenobi

Joey-WanKenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jan 7, 2002
    I have said it before and I'll say it again. Anakin falling into a pit of lava is a TERRIBLE idea. I hope you are right cbjedi, near a lava pit would work, but falling into it...no way. Lava isnt something you can just fall into, have a quick swim and hop back out again. I don't really have any other bright ideas as to how he can get his injuries, that's why I don't write movies, but falling into lava is out of the question for me.

16. Gorion

Gorion Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2002
    It's a molten pit, not lava

17. opinion

May 14, 2001
    ...i like the sound of the gandalf the grey technology fight...

18. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    i think the awnser to the molten pit is in one of the trailers. not going to mention it cause it may be a spoiler but look closely.

19. Castor_Troy

Castor_Troy Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    you can all check out the treatment for SW ep 4 here-http://home.golden.net/~kmitchell/scripts/swtreatm.txt its all bout anakin

20. Castor_Troy

Castor_Troy Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    you can all check out the treatment for SW ep 4 here-http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/swd1.shtml its all bout anakin

21. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I didn't read all the post cuz i want to hurry and tell you what i think of the lava pit. but if someone said somethign like this sorry. yesturday i was talking with someone about star wars. and i told them about the lava pit and i said that it might not happen cuz no one can survive in lava.

now this person said somethign interesting. She said "well remember in batman when the joker fell into the acid? If joker can survive that then can't vader survive lava?" Now that might make it seem realistic. if a human can survive acid then shouldn't a powerful jedi (the chosen one too. meaning he CAN'T die until his mission is complete) survive?

if u think about it. u say no human can survive lave, but if anakin falls in lave wouldnt' that be good. because it would show the other characters the anakin is truely the chosen one because he didn't die even when he fell into lava. he is un stopable. :) hope that makes sense. peace

22. opinion

May 14, 2001
    ...the acid that joker fell into wasnt powerful enough to erode past his skin in that brief period he was in their...lava will relieve of your limbs in an instant...if your entire body is engulfed in it you will surely die...

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Me personally, i don't think lava has anything to do with Anakin's injuries. To me, they look like they're from electricity.

24. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Here we go again... ;)

I had read last year somewhere that....

**Spec Spoilers?**

...Ani and Obi have a massive fight on Naboo while there is an apocalypitc battle and a ship falls on Ani. Yikes! :)

Again, that's probably speculation.

25. Darth Kimball

Darth Kimball Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2000
    The molten pit idea in the ROTJ novelization actually came from a rough draft of ROTJ in which the final duel was not on the second Death Star, but rather on the volcanic planet of Had Abbadon. Originally, when the Emperor is zapping Luke, Vader picked him up and they both tumbled into the lava.

Lucas has used previously scrapped ideas before. In Episode III, the existence of such a duel could go either way.

As for the novelization, that doesn't really count for anything. If Lucas hasn't committed it to film, he can always change his mind about it. Hell, through the SEs, even if it is on film, he can change his mind about it. Remember, the novelization also said Owen is Ben's brother, and that's been thrown out the window too, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.