main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Heres a theory for you: Who ever said Anakin fell into a pit of lava?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by The_Jedi_Man, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    What if this happens?

Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader are fighting near a lava pit, therefor confirming the lava thing in your mind at the time, but Anakin doesn't fall in, and later another explination is given for his injuries... that would be the ultimate "bait & switch"!

2. DarthBooger

DarthBooger Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    that Obi-Wan will push Anakin into the pit, I think that Anakin will miss a step and fall in. Then Obi-Wan will go to grab Anakin and all he can hold onto is Anakin's lightsaber. So anakin >>>

What if Padme is there too, she almost falls and he saves her but falls or gets almost toasted for good.
    Does not fit with Obe running off though.

3. KCLundin

KCLundin Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    In the annotated screenplays, I remember the author talking about a rejected idea in ESB where Vader goes home to his cave on a lava planet with gargoyles flying about and whatnot. I think it's the scene where the Emporer first contacts Vader.

If I remember correctly, I think Kershner or Kasden, or Joe Johnson mentions that Lucas rejected the idea of Vader's lava home for ESB to use later. This is perhaps the start of the idea for the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel that came out later around ROTJ and that we might see in Episode III. I know I've seen pre-production art for the lava home in some book somewhere, but I'm at a loss to remember where. Maybe in Episode III the idea of the lava home will appear again. (Anakin sets up a nice home for himself and Padme surrounded by molten rock. Nice and romantic if you ask me).

I have to admit it is a pretty silly idea for Anakin to fall into the lava, but then again, carbon freezing and lightsabers are pretty silly too when you think about it. It is all a matter of Lucas being able to suspend the viewer's belief well enough to pull it off. That being said, I'm only about 40% sure that he will be able to pull it off well.

4. JediJovo2366

JediJovo2366 Jedi Master

May 12, 2002
    MonsterO made a reference to an early Star Wars treatment for Episode III...well what he was talking about was a story treatment by John L. Flynn called Fall of the Republic published on Jan 20, 1982. It is simply fan fiction nothing more.

Check this out....from the Annotated Screenplays...

George Lucas: "I didn't have a very specific idea about what Vader might look like underneath the mask. I knew that he had been in a lot of battles, and at one point I thought that he had had a confrontation with Ben and Ben had sent him into a volcano. But he was all but dead, and basically he was manufactured back together even though there was very little left of him. So he is kind of this three-quarter mechanical man and one-quarter human, and the suit he wears is like a walking iron lung."

JoVo

5. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    A little eye candy for the Had Abbadon idea :) :

[image=http://starwars.rossiters.com/images/rotj_art-had-abbadon_480.jpg]

6. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
  7. KCLundin

KCLundin Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    More from the annotated screenplay (pages 174-175) that I just dug out:

Joe Johnston:

"When we were doing Star Wars, I remember I had done a series of sketches of Vader's home, and there was a sea of lava that his house looked out on. I remeber having trouble drawing it because everything was either orange or a shadow; it was very intense. But before we got too far, George said we would use this for somewhere doen the line, and I stopped working on it."

Although the quote is in the ESB section, Johnston refers to the idea starting around A New Hope, so perhaps the lava idea is even older than ESB.

8. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

The first public mention of Vader's fall into lava was in a question and answer interview with George Lucas published
    by ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE in
    August of 1977.

The name of the article was THE FORCE WITHIN GEORGE LUCAS.

Lucas said that Vader and Kenobi had a light saber battle over a volcanic lava pit and that Vader fell in.

9. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Had Abbadon? I remember reading somewhere that "Had Abbadon" was the original name George Lucas was going to use for the Imperial Capital planet. Mind you, this was WAY the heck back in the day on draft 1 of ANH.

Regardless...

I'm of the mind that Kenobi vs. Vader is going to be the lynchpin that makes or breaks E3. The PT has yet to have a strong lightsaber battle. The Maul vs. Jedi battle was visually and technically spectacular, but visuals alone can't substitute for the emotional power between Vader and Luke that made their battles so compelling (the way the two of them taunted back and forth during their fights...especially in RotJ when Vader is deliberately trying to bait Luke the entire time. Compare that to the silence of Maul vs. Kenobi...there was no real basis for combat. No hatred or history. Just three people 'going to work' for the day.)

I think that whoever said it needs to happen around technology is absolutely right. I'd love for it to happen that way, maybe at a mining station, where there's drilling and potentially tremors and lava welling.

I also think Kenobi will end up cleaving Anakin in two...setting up the 'more machine then man' bit.

10. Assassin

Assassin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    ANAKIN IS THE FREAKING CHOSEN ONE!!! I'm pretty sure the Force would partially protect him from the lava.

In ESB Vader deflected laser blasts like they were spitwads.....let's use our imagination people!!

11. NORTHSTAR

NORTHSTAR Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    Your right on

If it didn't happen in the movie then it doesn't count.

...and Obi-Wan doesn't have a brother named Owen either (cut from the film becasue it was too long)

12. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    No, but **SPOILERS** does. ;)

You'll find out on May 16.

Anyway, whatever GL decides to do it's a perfectly good reason to stay unspoiled. Personally I think a molten pit would be alright, but it seems too bright. I know, weird line of thinking, but I want something dark for the end of the trilogy, like ROTJ was. Speculating's fun, ain't it? ;)

13. The_Jedi_Man

The_Jedi_Man Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2002
    wow some good stuff.
    But none the less, lucas has changed his mind about things before, but im picking something other then a lava pit, even though he may have talked about it, but it was a long time ago.
    I like the idea of the Industrial fight, but what i would love to see is them two going at it ontop of some buildings on Coruscant that would be spectacular!

Lol a spaceship falling on Anakin, kinda Monty pythonish isnt it?

14. EwoksBecomeGremlins

EwoksBecomeGremlins Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    Doesn't anybody else realize that this entire thread has been full of MAJOR ep3 spoilers. and no it is not much of a discussion, what started off saving those of us who try to reamin unspoiled, has turned into everybody admitting something about lava or molten pits(not the same but too damn close) BASTARDS, allow us to stay spoiler free

15. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Um...everything we said here has been pure speculation based on EU sources, which isn't considered spoilers. If you want to know ABSOLUTELY nothing about Ep3, you shouldn't even watch Ep2, because you'll learn more about it there than you will here. Honest. :D

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Um...everything we said here has been pure speculation based on EU sources<<

Actually, EU sources, scripts and quotes/interviews from Lucas

>>EU sources, which isn't considered spoilers.<<

Actually, there are quite a bit of EU sources that could be considered spoilers, since many sources over the past year or so were written with access to the AOTC script.

17. The_Jedi_Man

May 12, 2002
    just possiblities nothing more, it could all turn out to be untrue, anakin could slip on soap in the shower or somthing to cause him to wear the suit

18. joykiller

joykiller Jedi Youngling

May 27, 1999
    As far as Anakin never meeting Yoda...
    In Empire, when Luke meets Yoda, Yoda asks Luke why he wants to be a jedi. Luke says because of his father and Yoda says "Powerful jedi was he."
    Yoda also says "Much anger in him, like his father" referring to Luke so it is pretty much established that they had met.

19. The_Jedi_Man

May 12, 2002
    true

also i thought Had Abadon was supposed to be Coruscant? i was told that was the orginal name

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> also i thought Had Abadon was supposed to be Coruscant? i was told that was the orginal name<<

Correct, originally we would have seen Imperial Center early in ROTJ (or, in even earlier versions of the film, instead of an Endor/Death Star 2 attack, it was actually an Imperial Center/Imperial Center's moon attack).

21. theharri

theharri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    I think Obi Wan and Anakin will duel in Coruscant. I think majority of episode III will take place on Coruscant. Whether he falls in lava or something else I don't know but when you watch AOTC you certainly see someting that looks like lava on Coruscant.

22. Smooth_Jedi

Smooth_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Just more food for thought if you guys aren't sure that the lava is even going to be in episode2 is it even concrete that obi is the one that will inflict vaders injuries? Or that Obi and ani will even fight at all. the truth is we really wont know until 2005. With the introduction of all these new jedi there leaves alot openings for how anakin could recieve injuries personally I would like to see Mace be the cause for most of ani's discomfort that would be a more fitting way to end Mace as well

Just speculating though and trying to keep an open mind that just cause Lucas said it doesnt mean it will happen.

23. The_Jedi_Man

May 12, 2002
    Hmm after seeing AOTC i may have an idea where those injuries could be inflicted

24. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    The answer you seek is also mentioned in the STARLOG: 25 YEARS OF SCI-FI MOVIES (on stands now :D ).
    In it, Mark Hamill says he was asked about that Vader/lava thing and he says:
    "I remember early on asking who my parents were and being told that my father and Obi-Wan met Vader on the edge of a volcano and they had a duel. My father and Darth Vader fell into the crater and my father was instantly killed. Vader crawled out horribly scarred, and at that point the Emperor landed and Obi-Wan ran into the forest, never to be seen again."
    It's on page 20, about the 5th paragraph down on the right hand column.

It has lots of older interviews from the past concerning SW. All of it was reprinted from older issues, but it's easier to buy this than to track those old books down.

This ought to help add to the sources such as the Annotated Screenplays and the novelizations.

25. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    Folks, it's ALL right here:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-vi/classic/2001/08/classic20010813.html
    (and click on the pic)

Unless ol' George changes his mind (again), this is it. Or something like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.