main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hero by Tan Dun

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Has anyone heard this score by the composer of CTHD? Is it good?

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Are you referring to Hero starring Jet Li or different movie?

3. GreenWrinklyYoda

GreenWrinklyYoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Oh, I am extremely excited to see Hero with Jet Li, assuming that is what you are talking about. I bet you could find an import of the soundtrack somewhere on the internet, definately try eBay.

4. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I just saw the film and it was very good. The score was good as well, with a strong main theme that was used quite often.

The music was very simliar to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, with similar percussion work and string solos. One major difference I noticed was the use of male war chants within the score, which I thought were a nice touch.

Overall, the music works well in the film although it may be too similar to CTHD and may rely on the main theme a little too often. I bet the score works better on album, though.

5. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Agreed with the above.

The score is wonderful, especially the main theme.

6. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I basically concur with those above. Tan also uses a female vocal solo occassionally, which does not stand out as a sore thumb like some recent American scores did.

Additionally, the film score is featured quite prominently in the sound mix unlike, say, Die Another Day or HPPOA. So you can actually hear the score and enjoy it during the movie. Some of the percuassion is thunderous during the movie.

7. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    The score was awesome, it went along excellent with the settings and situations. I can't seem to find the soundtrack in the stores around here though..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.