main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hero Defeation Theme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    During AOTC I noticed this one particular music cue that plays at two points in the film.

(1) When Anakin returns to the homestead, he walks past everyone, then we see a high shot of the homestead. This small cue of music I am referring to plays here at the high shot until it cuts to the next scene of Anakin in the garage.

(2) The next time it plays is near the end of the movie. After Dooku escapes in the his Solar Sailor, Padme rushes into the hanger, and we see the injured Anakin and Obi-Wan getting up. As we see a wideshot of the hanger, the same music cue that played during the homestead part kicks in until the scene cuts to Dooku's ship returning to Coruscant.

The thing is, if I'm not mistaken, this is the only time this cue kicks in during the movie. And both times it kicks in, it happens during a time where the heros are defeated. Anakin failed to save his mother, and the heros lose the battle against Dooku. Anyway reconize this?

ST

2. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    During my third viewing on Saturday, I noticed that too!

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    First of all, I don't know what bit you are refering too, so I can't comment on that

BUT

Has it got to the stage where every little thing HAS to be a 'theme'. It's quite possible that JW wrote a little bit of music that he liked, and just used it again later. This does not make it a theme.

I LOVE to analyse music, but you can go too far. Is this one of those times? Maybe, maybe not - but this seemed as good a place as any

peace

4. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Well apart from the title ST never refers to it as being a theme.
    But it could be a 'recurring cue' if that's possible.

Also I noticed in TPM the same cue that plays when Darth Maul (both halves of him) falls to his doom was used in the deleted waterfall scene when the bongo falls down the waterfall.
    We could consider that a 'thing falling down a big drop' cue.

5. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    "Defeation"?

LOL

6. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    Yeah, I was about to say "Is that even a word?"

But, back on topic, I have noticed that the music which played on Anakin's return to the homestead is very similar to the tune that plays when Maul is falling down the shaft. I don't think it is rehashed music, either, because this piece appears on the AOTC OST.

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I guess the "Hero Defeation Theme" can go alongside the "Happy Senators' Theme" for AOTC. :p

But in all seriousness, I agree with halibut. It can go to far sometimes. Not everything is a theme, it can just be a re-used cue.

Take TESB for example. The music that is played when Rogue 2 is searching for Han and Luke on Hoth, there's that fast, rythmic string cue that's so cool. Then it's used as the Falcon flees Cloud City later in the movie. Now, is that the "Fast Moving Vehicle Theme"? No, it's just a cue that was used again, simple as that. :)

8. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    "The music that is played when Rogue 2 is searching for Han and Luke on Hoth, there's that fast, rythmic string cue that's so cool. Then it's used as the Falcon flees Cloud City later in the movie."

True. But also bear in mind that it is the exact same track in both instances. Not something that was rescored later as a recurring musical piece. Williams had originally composed something different for the search scene, but whoever edited the music chose to bring in the Cloud City rescue instead.

In the case of the AOTC OST, I think it is a piece of completely new music; newly composed, newly scored. That's not to say that it doesn't sound very much like the piece from TPM, though.

Of course, not all recurring musical pieces are motifs. On the flip side, not all motifs reoccur, either.

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "But also bear in mind that it is the exact same track in both instances. Not something that was rescored later as a recurring musical piece."

In AOTC the pieces we're talking about sound very similar to each other too. Almost as if they're the same thing. AOTC is full of edits and this seems like just another one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.