main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA Heroes for Heroes

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by TaintedJedi, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
    So it's come to my attention that there's a really awesome organization called Heroes for Heroes. From their website:

I've been thinking about clearing out a large allotment of my things so it can be put to better use for our brave men and women who are serving our country around the world... just thought I'd throw the idea out to the group as well.

-TJ

2. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    As Rogues and Sci-fi fans in general, I think this is a great cause to work ourselves into!
    Nice find, TJ!

3. Nasus_Sivad

Nasus_Sivad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2006
    I think we can do somehing good with this one. Way to go, TJ. We need to keep our eyes out for opportunities like this. TJ, can you do the footwork or investigative part of it so we see what it entails. It sounds like you know a little more about this group. Thanks

Maybe you can be an agenda item at the next meeting. See, we always knew you were an item. :)

4. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    I've gone ahead and sent them an email... my other thought would be to see if Porkins and Jedidoria might know of a way we might be able to contribute through Travis AFB?

-TJ

5. AuntBeruLars

AuntBeruLars Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2006
    TJ, great find and great idea!!!

=D=

6. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    Highest Honors Sgt.!! This is something we need to support and get involved with!

7. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
  8. Jedidoria

Jedidoria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2006
    Hey TJ, you are a gem -- you KNOW that we can work on this from our end! I'll see what I can find out, and I'll bring the info to our meeting. I know the LT's unit is gearing up to send another batch of folks out -- and luckily, that means a whole batch is coming back safe and sound. Thanks for thinking of the military dudes and dudettes, I think they'd really appreciate something like this.[face_flag]

9. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Well, ya know... I've got lots of stuff in my room I just don't use... like, oh.... 60 issues of Spiderman and Ultimate X men or more in trade paperback form, a playstation with some classic games, some dvds... I figure, if I can give it to something worthwhile, then it's worth it.

...and if I can get a tax credit so I can get more swag next year... well, hey, I won't complain!

-TJ [face_mischief]

10. JediDarkNight

JediDarkNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2005
    I'm sorry, but I have to admit that I do not support this ugly war that has been going on for way too long. In general, I am not a supporter of war, and therefore I cannot support this cause. As far as the wars in Star Wars go, they are only metaphors for me. Too many innocent people on both sides of this war have been dying and getting hurt and so I want nothing to do with it. I have to be blunt about this because this cause totally goes against my beliefs. In supporting the troops in this way, we are ignoring the many innocent people being killed and hurt on the Iraqi side.

In addition to this, I think supporting this cause as a group is unfair to many of us other Rogues who do not support war and therefore I feel that the Rogue group would be getting far too political in supporting such a cause. The Rogue group should be for the fun of all Star Wars fans, not just a particular group of those fans who hold certain political beliefs whether they be conservative or liberal. If we want to support a good cause then we should support one that does not take a side to too contraversial of an issue (such as last weekend's March of Dimes fundraiser).

If I have any items of pop/speculative culture such as action figures, comic books or sci fi novels, etc. I am not going to put my time and effort giving them to a war that I feel is unjust. I am going to give them to people who have had more of a history of having a harder time of accessing such items, such as low income intercity youth or children in third world countries. The soldiers in Iraq get a good enough income from the U.S. military where if they want such items, they could order it themselves.

Once again, I know I am being very blunt about all this, but as I said, the cause that so many of you have proposed goes totally against this rogue's beliefs and I feel is an unfair representation of myself and other rogues who may be along the same lines as myself.

I'm sorry, but I will have to object to this cause.

--Jedi Dark Night

11. Nasus_Sivad

Jan 19, 2006
    While I understand your right to not participate in this venture, I would like to believe that you are not asking us to waive our right to support what we do believe in. While we might not all support the war or what it stands for, I do believe alot of us support the men and women who have made the decision to support our country in trying to bring change. We have many members who have been members of the military, are currently in the military, or grew up in the military and know how much support from people at home is. I do not see this effort as a support of the war but a bringing of home to some who can't have it right now. My daughter spent a year in Baghdad treating the soldiers and the Iraqi's (military and civilin) of any wounds or mdecial needs that brought them to the emergency room. Non were turned away and she said when they received letters, cards, etc from the US, it helped them to get through what they were committed to. My father retired from the military and I remember the months that he was gone that our family had to get by the best we could. We never regreted our family's sacrifice as it was for the greater good of the country. My husband is also a veteran so as you can see this is a venture that hits very close to home for myself and a I said, probably many others in this group.

And if you think they are so well paid, perhaps you should check those facts out before throwing them out. Most people are not aware that our military personel not only qualify for free food stamps due to their low income, their children also qualify for free lunch. I do not think the 24 hour a day sacrifices these brave souls go through to protect our rights to say things like this is worth what little compensation they get. Some say that teachers are our most underpaid workers......I disagree, it is our military. Unfortunately, they do not have a union to speak for them and only can rely on the people of America to do what is right.

I think we all need to be careful of not using this platform to vent our political views. You have a choice to either participate or not participate. There is no need to have to share personal beliefs, feelings, opinions, etc that could be inflammatory to the group and not in our best interest. We will never be able to pick a venture that will not conflict in someone's belief's in some way, we just need to be mindful of all of our differences and the different walks of life that we come from and make our own personal choice as to how we will or will not be involved in the group. This needs to be done without trying to foist personal opinions or views on others that might not be like minded.

12. CaeliRose

CaeliRose Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 5, 2005
    Nasus,

I have to say I agree with you. I for one am on both sides. I do not support the governments choice for war but I do support the troops. They have no choice but to be there. That is their job and as such need the help, love and support of those back home. Maybe I am biased as an Army brat and wife. But I also grew up with a civilian mother part of the time and I can see both sides of the coin.

I support this venture of donating to the soliders as my husband had served his time in Iraq as well as all of his bestfriends. Your daughter is right in saying that if it hadn't been for the letters and well wishes from home kept their spirits up.

And just one other thing...when a lot of soliders come home...they do not receive paychecks because the military financial office tends to mess things up with their casual pay from Iraq/Afghanistan. My husband went without a check for two and half months because of it and there was nothing he could do about it. As to their making lots of money...lol... Single soldiers are lucky if they get $1300.40 (E1) a month and that is with the raise they just recently received.

Ok, I'll be quiet now.
    [face_blush]

13. AuntBeruLars

Mar 5, 2006
    As a proud veteran of the US Air Force (during Vietnam), and a member of the American Legion, I am more than a bit angry that someone thinks they are supporting a war by supporting all the men and women who give large portions of their lives in service to our country (that is you and I). :mad:

I will not get into politics other than to say that I believe our men and women have died needlessly for a cause that is wrong. But, to withhold a bit of happiness and comfort from those who answered the call to duty for all of us, is...at best...misguided. And, I am trying my best to be kind.

I support this cause with all my heart. While I may not have many of the things to donate that some of you do, I will give as much as I can to help pay for postage, etc.

Signed,
    Proud to be an American Veteran [face_flag]

14. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    Your objection is duly noted JediDarkKnight. However this matter will be discussed at the officer's meeting, and if it passes discussion, it will be brought to the group for further scrutiny. If it does pass both points and it becomes a mission this group will go on, I will understand if you want to bow out of the assignment JediDarkKnight. I come from a big family who are members of the military/law enforcement.

I understand your beliefs and argument for objection JDK, and I for one, do not support this house of cards war. But with that said, I 100% support the troops who are caught in harm's way due to old men declaring war that the young adults of this great country have to fight. And that support will never waiver.

After 9-11, and if I was capable of it, I would have enlisted and fought in Afghanistan to answer the call of attack on the soil of my country. I believed in that, and so did many more who enlisted after 9-11.

But on another personal note, most of my family who answered the call, entered the armed forces with the dream of after their four year career in the military, they would be able to leave with their GI bill intact and be able to pay for college. Maybe you didn't know that JDK. College is where most of my family wanted to go in the first place. You see JDK, my family are not well off ? in fact, dirt poor. For most of them, their only option to get the education they dreamed of was to enter the military on the GI Bill plan, hoping and praying that during their tour of duty, there would not be a war declared. On the other hand, they are Americans and realized what could happen due to their decision, and would, God forbid, serve in battle if need be. You see, it?s a crap shoot when you enter the military to get money for college. But for some families, it's their only option.

I was fortunate enough to have the size and the God given talent to play football well enough to get a ride to college where I did not squander my ?ride? either. Otherwise, I am sure I would have enlisted to get money for college.

You can?t hold it against the soldiers of the military for your objections to this cause. And, as for paychecks in the military ? you do realize that a large percentage of soldiers who are serving in Iraq at the moment aren?t full time enlisted men and women? They are military reserves, and the National Guard. When they are not fighting in combat, they work at places such as Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, Raleys, and Albertsons. JDK, even you have to admit working at these places they do not make good money. Most of these people join the reserves and National Guard to supplement their total income to support their families. There is an old saying in law enforcement and the military that you don't enter the two to make lots of money. It?s not the rich or even the middle class families who make up the majority of the United States military. It?s the poorest families of this great nation who sacrifice their sons and daughters to help protect this great country. They come from the projects, the ghettos to the coal mining towns up in the mountains in the backwoods. Most just want a chance to go to college to make a better life for themselves and their families.

And I will be dammed if I don?t lend my support and argue good valid points why this great club should support this great cause of the families of the military and NOT THIS WAR.

Just being blunt like you JDK.

Move along... move along

15. AuntBeruLars

Mar 5, 2006
    Hear! Hear! =D=

16. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Personally, JDK, I'd like to say that I'm offended by your belief that this is some sort of political statement.

Service to others is one of the greatest gifts we can give, period. In any way, shape, or form. People stateside have the benefit of living at home while in service of the government, whether they be police, paramedics, disaster relief, national guard, or firefighters.

People overseas don't have the luxury of living in familiar surroundings. I can't imagine the culture shock they might receive coming back home after years in deployment. And I'm not talking simply about people deployed in Iraq, and nor do I intend to share my personal political views on that situation. I'm also thinking of sailors who spend months on board claustrophobic vessels without shore leave, and people no where near the Middle East. This isn't about whether you agree with the war, the political agenda of this government, or anything like that. I'm simply talking about giving something back to the people who serve this country.

I make it a point to NOT speak my mind in general when it comes to politics, religion, and the like in public. I save that sort of thing for college and conversations with my peers at the appropriate time. I do NOT go around, taking any opportunity to force my personal beliefs on other people, or try to make trite little statements for the hell of it. And if you think that's what this is, then JDK, you really don't know me.

How dare you, sir.

-TJ

17. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Thank you for the eloquent observations, LDV. I apologize for my own personal outburst in what is obviously a touchy subject, especially considering I'm tasked with keeping the peace, generally.

But this time, I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

-TJ

18. Nasus_Sivad

Jan 19, 2006
    I understand TJ. I too, couldn't keep mine shut. Well said on your part and LDV's.

19. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Thanks for the support, Nasus. If you couldn't tell, I was just a little upset. ;)

20. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Ok I think we've all said our two cents and its time for that group hug.

21. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    -TJ ;)

22. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Yes even you TJ although watch those hands... they're always so cold.

23. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    -breathes on them- there, that oughta warm 'em up!

-TJ

24. CaeliRose

CaeliRose Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 5, 2005
  25. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Group hug!

-The Peacekeeper, who has kept her mouth shut since everything that needed to be said has been said more eloquently than she could have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.