main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA Heroes for Heroes

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by TaintedJedi, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedidoria

Jedidoria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2006
    Ah, dear Tionne, I wish that were true, but I am just getting to my computer, so indeed there is more to be said...and I am really cheesed...

Whether you "agree" with the war or not is not the point. Many of the men and women fighting may not "agree" with it either. However (as has been alluded to) many of them come from homes that couldn't afford to send them to a lovely UC school. Many of them come from broken homes and see the military as way to a better life -- a future. This is what the military has done for me...it has taken ME -- an 18 year old at the time -- with two parents with no college education and has PAID FOR my bachelors degree. All I had to do was get trained in a lucrative medical profession (for free) and I had to put on my uniform and go to work PROUDLY each day for 4 years. Did I always "agree" with what I was being ordered to do? No, but I am quite certain that many of us don't agree with our bosses in our civilian jobs, either. It has afforded my husband -- another 18 year old when he enlisted -- both his bachelors and his master's degree. His parents picked fruit when they were growing up. Hmmm, so did the military provide him with a better life? Yes, I'd say that it did, in the opportunities it has afforded him. My children have played in the snow in the German Alps, smiled for pictures on the top of the Eiffel Tower, swam in the Mediterranean Sea, enjoyed the Smithsonian, seen Mt. St. Helens, eaten fresh pineapple cut from the ground in the Philippines, and marveled at Stonehenge. You know why they've had those opportunities? Because the Air Force gave them to us.

I have friends who have lost LIMBS in this war. I have friends who are overseas RIGHT NOW scared out of their minds. Give me a break, JDN. It is so easy for people to protest and scream about the injustices...how about the injustice that after 18 years my husband makes a whopping $46,288 a year for a family of 5? (And he's an Officer) But you think that some kid in a third world country will appreciate the package more? Tell that to the poor Senior Airman making $20,750 a year. I believe that he would love to get that package -- 'cause it's a small thank you. That's all our soliders are looking for -- just a simple acknowledgement that the same freedoms you are invoking by protesting the war are being defended by that poor kid that just wanted a better life for him or herself. You speak of the innocent lives being lost in Iraq...do you know how many of their own people they blow up every day??? Our friend that is there now is medical personnel. She treats every local that come through like own of her own -- CAUSE THATS WHAT AMERICANS DO. We know from seeing our soliders being drug through cheering town centers that the rest of the world isn't so kind. I say to the protesters -- go back to Starbucks and drink your latte and discuss philosophy ad nauseam. Just remember to say a small thank you to the soliders of WWII that your aren't speaking and reading in German. Hopefully, one day my grandkids can live in a country without fear of terrorism -- and they'll have a solider to thank for that, too.

I, for one, will remember to give an extra kiss to my Lieutenant when he walks through the door today. I'll pass on all of your kind words of support and encouragement for the military -- I know he'll appreciate it.

(And a loud AMEN to the idea that support of the troops is not support of the war. Let's get our troops home!!!)

2. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
  3. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Well said, Doria....very well said. =D= [:D]
    Give the Lt. an extra hug from me.

I support the troops, not the war itself and I want them to come home safe and sound.
    Every time I visit the AFB to troop with the 501st I make a point to thank at least one serviceman/woman there for doing what I can not.

4. AuntBeruLars

AuntBeruLars Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2006
    Jedidoria, give the LT a kiss for me. And, tell him to give you and all the kids a kiss back. I know what the families must endure......the sacrifices that they too make.

You speak very well for our service men and women. It actually brought tears to my eyes.

Signed,
    Proud to be an American veteran
    and a member of the American Legion [face_flag]

5. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    Oh please, Aunt Beru. It's me sending kisses YOUR way. Let's talk about serving during an unpopular time, eh? Thank YOU for your service and your continued support of our guys and gals in uniform.

I got the addresses for some of the deployed troops as well as some info on the Fisher House (the base equivalent to the Ronald McD house). I'll be bringing it to the next meeting.

6. JediDarkNight

JediDarkNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2005
    All right, all right! [face_frustrated]

I can understand those of you coming from military and law enforcement backgrounds. My father too came from a military background (served in Vietnam) and my grandfater, my dad's father, before him also served in a war (WWII). Becuase of my beliefs, as you have already seen what they are, I did not follow in their footsteps (I followed in my father's hippy sister's footsteps instead, and proud of it LOL). I understand people's desparate situations to feel that they have to join the military and as LDV put it, it's a gamble of whether they will be called to serve in a war, a gamble just so they can get money for college and make a decent income. Believe me, I know what's it's like to be dirt poor.

But you all seem to miss the point. When you involve an issue so contraversial as this damn war, no matter what aspect you take of it, you are reflecting politics in a fandom group, a group that should be fun for everyone and not a vehicle for a political belief, whether those beliefs are intended or not. I don't have anything necessarily against the troops themselves, keeping in mind that many of the soldiers are out there without choice. But As I said, I don't feel that it's fair for some of us in the group that this group gets involved with a cause, even though it's a charitable cause, so close to the war.

And TJ, (I believe it was you who brought this up, and if not, forgive me) I spoke my political beliefs because a bunch of you people brought up this idea of charity so closelly connected to this war, and so closely connected to a political matter. So as long as other people have to put things in us members faces concerning anything so closely politically I will speak out my beliefs as I please.

Enough for now. More on this later.

--Jedi Dark Night

P.S.

And any of you other rogues out there that are against such a cause that gets too close to this war issue, SPEAK UP! It's your right as rogue members. And I know there's others of you out there that agree with me on this. We've talked before.

7. AuntBeruLars

AuntBeruLars Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2006
    No, JDN, it is you who "miss the point." We are NOT involving a contraversial issue of war, as you put it. We are supporting the young men and women who are maintaining your right to speak up with your beliefs, however misguided they may be. This is NOT about politics. This is NOT about a war. This is about caring for the men, women, families, who make sacrifices for you and I...men and women who are stationed AROUND THE WORLD, and ON SHIPS, and IN REMOTE LOCATIONS OF THE GLOBE, as well as those stationed in the "hot" spots of this planet.

You can go on and on about your "right" to disagree. It is our military members who protect for you that right. We, as a group, will vote on this issue, and it is also your right to fail to participate. But, it is not your right to tell this group that they cannot choose this cause because you have misguided feelings against it. Majority rules, buddy. Take it or leave it.

8. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    JDN, I'm really sorry you feel that this is so very political.

You seem to have fixated on one particular facet of military operations rather then the fact this charity sends goods to ALL SOLDIERS that are DEPLOYED AROUND THE GLOBE. This isn't about "the war". You've chosen to focus on it. As for you opinion, I'm glad you enjoy your right to free speech. But you better be prepared to 'enjoy' ours right back. A right to speech isn't a right to popularity, support, or freedom from criticism.

-TJ

P.S. It was never really my intention to "force" anything onto the group's agenda. I was bored, found a website through a podcast, and checked it out. I thought it was cool... so I shared it with the group here. Everyone else just sort of ran with it.

9. Nasus_Sivad

Nasus_Sivad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2006
    Well said, Aunt Beru! I couldn't have said it better. The group is going to vote on this issue and as you said, those who choose not to participate can do so. There are many events that not everyone chooses to participate in for various reasons and if JDN chooses to be a conciencious objector, who are we to stop him from his little moment in the spotlight. I agree he has missed the point but I think this group has spoken and is showing to be a group that will make the right decisions for the group rather than the "right" decision for one member or even two.

Once again, TJ! Thanks for bringing this cause to our groups attention and thank you for all the footwork you have done Jedidoria. There is alot more to being in a group then just attending meetings and throwing out objections.

10. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    But you all seem to miss the point.

I am sorry JDN, but I don?t believe you have made a valid point for objecting to this cause.

When you involve an issue so contraversial as this damn war, no matter what aspect you take of it, you are reflecting politics in a fandom group, a group that should be fun for everyone and not a vehicle for a political belief, whether those beliefs are intended or not.

Again, I don?t see your argument. We are supporting the Military of this great nation, not the war! The situation is just a double edged sword at the moment. Not once have we mentioned the war being a part of this cause. You are the one that has escolated this into a Poiltical platform. And in a time of crises that this country is going through, particularly the military families, not knowing if their loved ones will ever return home alive, we have a chance to give these soldiers and their families smiles and comfort. I am 100% for it.

I don't have anything necessarily against the troops themselves, keeping in mind that many of the soldiers are out there without choice.

That is an invalid statement. You have already made it perfectly clear you don?t support anything that attaches itself to this war, including the military, its troops, and its families.

But As I said, I don't feel that it's fair for some of us in the group that this group gets involved with a cause, even though it's a charitable cause, so close to the war.

Be thankful this group is a Democracy and not an actual Dictatorship. If it was and there was an ?actual? Supreme Chancellor this would be a definite go and you and whoever else who does not support such a worthy cause would be asked, to participate or leave the group. That simple.

But since this group is a democracy, it will be left to a vote. Be thankful it is, and that we live in a country that allows all kinds of opinions. So many in military history have died to give you and I that right/priveledge.

One more thing ? Star Wars and Lucasfilm support and do charity work for the Red Cross which has supported war after war. Do you mean to tell me, you don?t support Lucasfilm or the Red Cross either?

Just my observations and being straight forward with a topic that has opened a big can of emotions.

If this motion passes, those who do not wish to participate in this, are welcomed to not participate, and there will be no hard feelings in not participating in this mission. Not all of us can. With that said, all are welcome and expected to participate in upcoming events.

11. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    This is slightly off subject but I recommend everyone to watch (or rewatch) Born On The Fourth of July starring Tom Cruise.

The similarity between the Vietnam era depicted in the film and the present is chilling.

How soon we forget our past.

Also its a great showcase for Tom Cruise the actor as opposed to Tom Cruise the couch hopping, Dawson's Creek pillaging goofball he's become.

12. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    -brings out the duct tape-

Time for some censorship! ;)

-TJ

13. TheFandomMenace

TheFandomMenace Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2006
    Come seesa da violences inhairy-ent in da systems! Oh noes!

14. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Oh youuuuuuuu

15. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    ZOMG WHO LET THAT GUNGAN IN HERE?! -kicks jar jar in the teeth, has security throw him out-

-TJ

16. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    **whine** But he was ugly in that movie! **whine some more** I'd rather put on Top Gun. (Tom: "You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips..." **swoon**)

17. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
  18. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Tom Cruise's Career = [face_beatup]

19. Avalyn07

Avalyn07 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    I am right there with you. No matter what Tom has become or what girl you know, pop in "Top Gun" and straight to the volleyball scene. That's Hot![face_batting]

As for the rest of this thread my second cousin was the 27th Commandant of the United States Marine Corps (USMC) from 1979-1983. Need I say more......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Barrow

20. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    OT: mmm...Top Gun...volleyball... *Hawkie is lost to the world for a good 15 minutes* [face_blush]

Okay, I'm back. Two of my cousins and both grandfathers served.

21. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    anyone have a life preserver to wade through all the female drool in here? :p

but then again, Tommy Boy did get to work with AND date Penélope Cruz =P~ =P~

22. Marric_Korde

Marric_Korde Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 16, 2006
    Short Shanks best movie to me will always be TAPS, he will never do any better, though Risky Business was a rather close one, Legend too.

I personally have nothing for Penelope.

23. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    There's always Salma Hayek ... see my pattern? ;)

24. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Legend is awesome!! If I ever find it on DVD (preferably WalMart $5 bin) I am SO getting it.
    Wow...doesn't take much for us to go completely Off Topic, does it? :p

OOH SHINY!!

25. Marric_Korde

Marric_Korde Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 16, 2006
    SHINY!? Where? is it BIG? Does it make sound? vroooom vroooom, that's what cars sound like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.