main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 'Heroes' sequel miniseries coming to NBC in 2015

Discussion in 'Community' started by WhiteAndBlue, Sep 2, 2009.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Given how badly the show apparently went downhill after the first season, is there any way the miniseries could possibly be good? Seems there's quite alot of baggage to deal with.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want to punch Kring in the face for saying that the show will be veiled in secrecy as if that's a huge thing. No one cares Tim. Your show sucked. It was even horrible during season 1. Seriously, who the hell wants this to come back besides glue sniffing Neanderthals?

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I tried to rewatch Season 1 a few months ago. It was unbearable. I can't figure out what I ever saw in this show.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Veils of secrecy are pretty bad in general (see Star Trek Into Darkness).

Volderon likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "Save the cheerleader, save the world" is honestly the stupidest most unintentionally hilarious tagline of a show I have ever seen.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    And you still can recall it 6 or 7 years later. Stupid, but it worked.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    "Any press is good press!"
    "Yeah, but if all the press is mocking you, is that still good?"

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Ouch:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11209621

9. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Well. It's not too wrong.

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    This, I am excited for. Season 1 was some of the best TV ever. The show tanked for me with the writer's strike and I quit watching shortly after the pretty Mexican gal who would cry people to death entered the show. I hope that this miniseries brings back that season 1 vibe. Especially Hiro. Hiro (present and future Hiro) was the man.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The whole thing will be based around another pretty Mexican gal who can cry people to death.

soitscometothis likes this.
  12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I think the criticism most hits the mark with the comparisons to Arrow or Agents of S.H.O.U.L.D -- you can do long-running stories in the hour-long format, but you can't do it by basically promising major development after major development each week, each major development of which turns out to have been a ****-tease at just about every turn. Lost was probably the apotheosis of this concept, having managed to string out not letting on just what the hell was going on with the Island for the entirety of the show's run, but I regard the earliest symptom of this approach as coming from the "mythology" of The X-Files. (Or indeed Twin Peaks might be Patient Zero.)

With The X-Files, Chris Carter kept showing a little bit of the story here, a little bit there, and routinely promising that there was a big, overall, overarching story which explained it all and which you'd understand totally when it all unfolded. The truth of it was they were largely improvising the story as they went, and by the end of the show it was clear as day that they really had no idea how the hell to finish it out satisfactorily for the fans. I really believe the fandom of my rough generation has never forgiven Chris Carter for that or for failing to resolve the story; aside from being a really crappy movie, there's a reason the second TXF film tanked.

As a famous coach once said: "Eventually we're gonna have to start selling them some steak to go with all this sizzle."

soitscometothis, yankee8255 and jp-30 like this.
  14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Pretty good AV Club article on old NBC shows they wish would get rebooted before Heroes. And yes, the list includes Little House on the Prarie and The Father Dowling Mysteries. Their idea for LHotP is actually quite good.

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. I like their idea for Little House on the Praire.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I am rather meh on this. I'd rather see Zach Levi stuffing a bunch of subway sandwiches down and continuing Chuck than jumping onto Heroes. I never actually watched the rest of the last season. I watched the first half but it was so terrible I just stopped watching. The problem with this show is where does it go? SHIELD has hit the every day people thing. And with their foray into Inhumans, it's basically Heroes. Skye= Claire, Coulson = Bennet. And they even have Nathan Petrelli on the show. :p The difference of course is the focus, but SHIELD is doing this better than Kring ever did. And then you look at The Flash and they can already run rings around the entire series of Heroes. At least when 24 returned, there was still some sort of void that it could fill. But here, it feels like NBC wants their own superhero show again and is hoping this will do it. It won't. They waited too long and superior shows have filled this void. Heroes was popular for its time because there were no superhero shows aside from Smallville. And even then, it was that none were on the big 4 networks. But that changed with SHIELD, then Gotham and soon Supergirl while CW has really upped the stakes with Arrow and Flash as well. For me to watch this show would require an excellent plot and a timeslot where it is not up against anything of value. Air it against any other superhero show or decent drama and watch the ratings plummet.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So that's a no from you?

19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    The one thing that I always see missing in any discussion about Heroes and how it went off the rails in Season 2 is any mention about the impact that the Writer's Strike had on it. Kring and others had said very publicly that the plan for Season 2 was completely redone after they had filmed the first couple of episodes so that they wouldn't be left in a limbo state at the back end of the season (as Friday Night Lights was in it's second season). They turned it from a single 22 episode season story into an 11 episode one and had to drop some of the major arcs, or shorten them considerably.

20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    If S1 actually sucks I do not want to re-watch it and ruin the memory I have of it.

The rest was certainly terrible.
    This just reeks of desperation on NBC's part. Did anyone see the commercials for the 100% ripoff of The Americans they tried to float? It got cancelled in record time. I know Hollywood likes to copycat but sheesh. I felt embarrassed for them.

21. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I hate dbl posts

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope the new mini series is about that girl they left behind in an alternate future and then never mentioned again. I bet she'd want vengeance. Against the writers, at least.

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Comic book tv has crowded everything but cooking shows and Downton Abbey off the air. Why would anyone think that there's room, even miniseries length room, for more of this?

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    WHY THE **** ARE THEY BRINGING THIS AWFUL *****Y SHOW BACK

25. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    If that future is prevented, won't she simply cease to exist?