main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD "Heroes"

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Magnus_Darcrider, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    REALLY enjoyed the episode.

Was NOT expecting it to be Sylar on the ground. How'd he get there??
    Matt's Dad?? WTF So much for Parkman not being as interesting a character as I'd always wanted him to be. Agreeing with BBN on his mental powers. Well oviously if he can do whatever he's been doing and has done to Molly.

Oh and Molly..obviusly her parents had power..well her Dad did. Her mum had the nailed to the stairs ending didn't she? Who were her parents..and why hasn't matt or Mohinder gone back to find out more about that?

Want to know MUCH more about what happened to Nathan between flying Peter into orbit and bearded guy. Burnt face? I figured it was him, Goobs thinks he's seeing Peter's face before he healed. And didn't he heal pretty. Scene with his sons at the school was the little stuff I like about this show. Them struggling to live normally whilst finding answers.

Micah's cousins story I liked. Interesting that she's only just realised her power. Physical learning from memory?? or some such. Anyway, I found her character really likeable and obviously wondering how her Grandmother fits into the older generation...and how much Uhura knows. Kid playing Micah is growing up fast too..just struck me as less the cute little innocent, which he never has been really.

Woww..so much to think about.

An episode without Hero, Ando, Nikki and others I'm probably forgetting, but I didn't even mind.

And didn't DL die of bullet poisoning?

Liked the path Mrs Petrelli is taking too. Nice to see some selfless acts from her. Goobs has a more intricate theory of why she's taking the rap, but it seems like protection for others to me

ANYWAY, that's about all I can remember for now.
    My night was blessed by an episode of Battlestar after on Fox, which reminded me of the wo shows I very much LOVE these past couple of years

til next week!

2. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    We don't know how DL died. He was alive at the end of last season. Would seem to me that if he was alive then there would be a good chance that he would have survived (the bullet)- hell Sylar survived and he got skewered by a sword.

But we DO know that Mohinder helped DL after he'd finished transfusing Molly - not more than an hour I'd say. When dealing with blood products you can never be too careful, also it could have been passed directly by Molly she ran straight to DL to help when she saw him. Now assuming it is passed only by blood, DL and Nikki would almost certainly have it. From memory Molly really never managed to get all that close to Matt after he was shot to pass it on. As for Sylar... Slightly loose point, but presumably Nikki had DL's blood on her and she did get close enough to Sylar to pass it on.

3. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    ?Heroes? 2.04 - Volume 2, Chapter 4: "The Kindness of Strangers"

Oh Mohinder, what happened to your opening philosophical banter?

Pretty much the next morning from where we left off, Mr. Bennet is looking at the painting of his death again. It would mesmerize, I suppose. Sandra and Mr. Muggles come in after their power walk, and Team Parents discuss the possibility that Claire is dating, and how problematic that could be. When Claire comes down and she is asked, she naturally denies it (and alludes to the painful "sex talk" from last time :p).

In the Odd Couple apartment, Molly wakes up screaming again. She's getting worse; now having two nightmares a night; and the resident Team Schlub International members Matt and Mohinder are at their wit's end how to help her.

In Washington DC (which lets face it, is only a short flight from New York), Nathan Petrelli has made an unscheduled stop at his sons' (Simon and Monty. Yes, Monty) school to say hello, tell them their grandmother is sick, and that he misses them. They tell him to lose the beard :p

Somewhere in Mexico, Maya, Alejandro and Derek (the frat boy guy from gaol last episode, and who I didn't note sorry, is in possession of Claire's stolen car!) are driving along, and Derek hints that he's a shady sort (lives in Jersey, "picked up" a car in California) before beginning to discuss their plans for when they get to the border.

The conversation's cut short by the body in the road. They stop to get out and have a look (BAD idea in Mexico. You want to be jumped by banditos??). He ain't dead, he's Sylar, and he looks like Hell. Astute viewers will note his clothes are different. Did he have a comic book adventure? I must check. I think it was Number 53 or 54...

After the titles (Chapter Titles on the louvre), Micah is woken up via a glass of water to the face in K-Ville by his little snot of a cousin Damon Dawson. Yeah, you talk like Mr. T, but he'd kick your punk ass, fool.

I am sooooo white :p

In the kitchen, Nana Uhura is cooking when the boys come in. Damon wants $65 to watch the wrestling on Pay-Per-View. Monica, Damon's brother, comes in all bubbly and confident cos she's certain she'll get a management position at the fast food joint she works at. Observing the host of the cooking show Nana Uhura is watching make a tomato rosette onscreen, Monica then leaves, promising to bring dinner home.

As she does, Micah, learning that he'll have to win his punk cousin over, offers to help him with his Pay-Per-View problems.

In a New York Hospital, Angela Petrelli is confessing to Matt and Fuller for the murder of Kaito Yagamoto. We learn in the course of the confession that when she was "attacked", hr wounds were self inflicted.

Hmmm, a perception alterer like Candace?

Matt doesn't believe a word of it, and through his mindreading, learns that Angella's taking one for the Hero community here, as well as protecting herself. If the police keep investigating, they'll learn about the Heroes. Better to sweep it all away quietly.

In Costa Verde, nameless cute cheerleader hands Claire a Cheerleading Application Form; seems the squad were impressed she stood up to Debbie, Queen of Cheerleaders. Claire says she'll think about it.

Stalker-Boy-Not-Zach West turns up and Claire tries to break the "not quite dating yet" off. West convinces Claire to go on one date that night, anywhere she wants to go, and then he'll leave her alone if she wants. She begrudgingly agrees.

Back in the New Yourk Hospital, clean shaven Nathan is getting his lawyer on while Matt tries to explain the situation to him in a powers context. Matt wants to continue the investigation, and wants Nathan to help. Nathan recognises the fragments of photographs Matt shows him, then demands five minutes alone with his mother.

Angella explains her motives again; protection of the Heroes including Nathan, and also penance. After insisting on Nathan getting into a rehab program and getting his family back, she allow

4. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Well then you'll be happy about this, Magnus: Bell talks Elle.

There's very little in there that we didn't already know about Elle, but we get a slightly clearer picture of her. She debuts in episode 5, but then won't be seen again till ep 8. She's signed for 13 episodes, which seems to mean that her main role will actually be in Volume 3. Why? Because the biggest news, oddly enough, is Tim Kring's statement that Volume 2 will conclude with episode 11, which presumably will be the mid-season break, with a cliffhanger for Volume 3. Got to say, that ending is sooner than I was expecting, but I'm down with it. Volume 1, great as it was, felt a little padded out in places. If this one can be kept short and sweet, that'll be great. And since they're part of the same season, presumably Volume 3 will share an arc with it, at least somewhat. But since we now know that we're halfway through this volume, we can expect the pace to ratchet up, which is great, because episode 4 was excellent, and if they can keep that momentum going till mid-season, I'll be very happy.

5. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Volume one had the disadvantage of having to introduce all the characters, and when you think about it, a bomb going off is a BIG event. They (the group) seemed to have spent years planning that moment, so taking a whole season slowly and steadly moving towards inevitability doesn't really bother me. The pacing made sense, and I didn't see anything as filler possibly partially because I'm waiting for Potter'esque moments where something small becomes something big and it all makes a ridiculous amount of sense.

6. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Oh, likewise. Volume 1 needed to be a full season to introduce the characters and the world. I like the idea of later volumes being shorter, though, or at least of variable length, it gives freedom and flexibility to not be tied to the 1-arc-per-season format, and thereby negate the need to have any filler of any sort. We all know that season 3 of Battlestar suffered from that problem.

7. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    That was my big fear; given how slow burn the last few episodes have been, I was worried they weren't giving themselves enough time to start up and stop Volume 2 before Volume 3 started, which I assumed was going to be mid season. Nice that it's been confirmed.

Oooh, does that mean we'll get a "Volume 2" DVD release during the mid season break? Rather doubt it, but it's a nice thought.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

8. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    It is a good question. How are the box sets going to be organised? By season or by 'volume'? My season 1 box is labelled as just that: season 1. Guess we'll wait and see. I'd be surprised if they split them up into anything other than seasons (down here, at least; in the States, half-season boxes seem to be relatively common).

9. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Taking some time out from giving The People's Elbow to The Combine to recap the following.

?Heroes? 2.05 - Volume 2, Chapter 5: "Fight or Flight"

First, let's just everybody welcome back Mohinder's dulcet tones as he gives us an opening narration:

When confronted by our worst nightmares, the choices are few: fight, or flight. We hope to find the strength to stand against our fears but sometimes, despite ourselves, we run. What if the nightmare gives chase? Where can we hide then?

The apartment of Suresh, Parkman, Walker ? Brooklyn, and Molly stills lies in a coma, but now she has a fever too. Matt is reluctant to track his father down, but Mohinder is insistent. Matt caves but before leaving for Philadelphia, decides to double-check some facts with Angela Petrelli. He kisses Molly and leaves.

In K-Ville, Monica is sweeping up glass from the botched robbery the previous night as a policeman questions her. Monica keeps it vague, and the policeman gets frustrated that she won?t give a positive ID on the guy who tried to rob the place.

At the Wandering Rock Pub, Caitlin and Peter smooch and rehash the ?open the box/don?t open the box? discussion. Caitlin is worried that someone will come looking for Peter; friends, family, or even a girlfriend. Peter?s response is ?Let them look? before he carries Caitlin off.

At the docks where Peter was found, Kristen Bell is looking for him.

Lucky bastard.

She?s chatting to Will, the scumbag that tried to kill Peter and take the sports club haul. She claims to work for a company that?s looking for Peter. Will tells the mystery girl that Peter?s at the Wandering Rock Pub, and wonders how mystery girl is going to deal with such a dangerous guy. As she walks away and gets out of sight, she runs her hands along a metal container, and electricity arcs between her fingers and the metal.

Electro Girl/Lightning Lass (Urgh, forget I said that) can take care of herself. Incidentally, do all The Company Women have that attitude when they join, or is it picked up as part of the training??

After the titles (this week the Chapter Title?s on a divider in Parkman?s Manhattan Police Station. Matt?s just finished questioning Angela Petrelli (no appearance by her this week) and Nathan has turned up, pissed off that a lawyer wasn?t present. Matt tells Nathan about the plan to go to Philadelphia and track down his father, and Nathan wants in. Matt doesn?t want him along, but Nathan insists.

Angry ex-Special Forces trained guy who can fly? I?d want him on my team too.

Matt eventually agrees, and comments that it?ll make life easier as Nathan can fly them there.

Nathan?s priceless response, ?I?m not a cargo jet, Parkman!?

Back in Cork, Ricky?s brought a guy up from the docks to see Peter, who tells them some girl is looking for Peter. Ricky, wanting to protect Peter and his sister Caitlin, tells Peter to hide out at Caitlin?s place and not to tell Caitlin why. He?ll take care of ?the little blonde girl?.

Yeah, this?ll all end in tears.

Back in K-Ville, Camille finally chats to Monica about what?s going on with her. Monica tries to explain what?s going on, but still isn?t really sure herself. All she knows is she thought she had a destiny, but that got stalled. She goes home to sleep it off.

Either they did use Petrelli Transport, or they took the fastest plane to Philly, as Matt and Nathan are outside Maury Parkman?s door. Matt?s frozen up; understandable despite everything, it?s been a long time; so Nathan eventually knocks, telling Matt to get his gun out.

Eventually they storm the apartment, and find a scared older man with a shotgun. They eventually disarm and cuff him and start asking questions. The reason he?s freaked out, he got a death notice photo as well.

The questioning continues, and Maury Parkman rehashes the old story that aback in the day a bunch of people with powers found each other and tried to save the world. Considering Matt?s claimed his dad was a conman, I find this dubious on his part.

Nathan get

10. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Really great episode. The pacing of this season suddenly got turned up from 4-ish to about 12, which I'm happy about. Some big revelations, too.

Maury Parkman is a nasty piece of work, that's for sure. Thing is: there's got to be more than one killer. The spry little hooded fella who pushed Kaito off the roof sure wasn't paunchy, overweight Parkman Snr. Note also that Maury said "they" would come and get him next. Not "he", "they." Significant? Also, having rewatched the requisite parts of the first and second episodes, I'm convinced Mr Hoodie is flesh and blood. Ando definitely saw him, and told the police as much. So who is it?

Speaking of sociopaths, Elle (Lightning Lass) is off her rocker. Her little "Oh, okay, fine, I killed someone. No, come on, it was just some guy. Come onnnnn!" was more than a little creepy, as was the "daddy" remark. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like she's going to be back till right near the end of Volume 2, but word on the street is that she'll be featuring heavily in Volume 3, so woot.

11. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    It's Odessa. No... not Odessa, Texas. The other one. In The Ukraine.

And... based on what we saw in Fight or Flight, Ando saw what Maury wanted him to see. I think the reason Kaito seemed to recognise him is that he knew exactly what Pere Parkman is capable of.

12. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah, I guess that's possible. It all hinges on whether he knew Ando was there and was able to affect them both so deliberately from a distance. The thing is, with Matt, Nathan and presumably Molly and Angella, Maury didn't seem to be dictating what they saw, the 'nightmares' seem purely in their own head and of their own invention. It's like he just pushed a button and their heads filled in the rest. We've seen no actual solid evidence that he can plant specific, controlled images into people's minds. It wouldn't be surprising, and we've seen no evidence that he can't, but still, we'll have to wait and see on that.

13. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    gah..didn't get to see the last episode yet. SO.. TEMPTED.. TO.. READ.. THE.. BLACK BITS!!

14. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    DON'T DO IT! Be strong, K.

15. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Youtube's back up, so here are some promos for next week:

US Teaser

Canadian Teaser

Actually, the US one is the better this time around.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

16. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Woah, the US one is good. Me = very excited.

17. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Speaking of Ando, given that Ando kind of knew that someone was out to get his boss, wouldn't it have been HIS fear that someone might push Kaito off the roof while he was watching. In many ways they both shared the same fear. It was just odd that Parkman Snr. had a pic of both himself AND Mr. Midas. Did he have a visitor from earlier? Parkman is aware his father is a con, but pulling from hollywoood/tv drama stereotypes here, conmen aren't generally murders.

Having said that of course, Miss 'lectricity seems a bit... unbalanced. Maybe her daddy is the bad guy.

Random thought:
    ... no one said the bad guy was Molly's nemesis, it's just been an assumption. Though certainly at this stage all the evidence points to it.

What I really want to know is what the motivation for the killings are... Revenge? Knocking off competition?

18. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    *sits on hands. Metaphorically speaking

19. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Since whoever this "Mask Killer" is is only targeting Company Higher-Ups and the "Golden Age" Heroes, it could be that someone got jack of them all after Linderman attempted to blow up New York, and thought that they might "Save the World" if they wiped all these horrible people out.
    Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

20. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    That thought had occurred to me. But I've also been musing about the company. What if Linderman wasn't the company? From all accounts he has a stack of other businesses to run. The company obviously isn't/wasn't being funded by Linderman. What if he merely had access to the company, or was a board/founding member?

It seems to me that the bomb was a much more recent plan than I first though. That perhaps the fall out from the older generation was because of the bomb - not everyone liked the idea. Kaito's attonement was for all the killings done to make the world a safer place, I'm pretty sure of that - not for the bomb. Thus far it seems the only ones convinced by the need for the bomb were Linderman and Angela - maybe Petrelli Snr. depending on whether he was murdered by the current killer or not, which is possible.

Thus far our friend Senor Goldfinger doesn't seem troubled by anything that is going on, which is interesting. His picture with Parkman Snr. suggests 2 things: either he'd been to visit, or Matty's papa really is the killer.

21. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Well The Company wasn't just Mr. Linderman. According to the Heroes: The Mobile Game, six of the founding members of The Company are Daniel Linderman, Arthur and Angela Petrelli, Maury Parkman, Kaito Nakamura, and Adam Monroe. Now a phone based game isn't the best source of information, but it is the first place Mr. Parkman Snr.'s first name was mentioned, and it seems to have stuck.

The Company was founded by The Twelve obviously for some purpose involving people with powers. One suggestion was that it was formed to track non-Twelve Family Member Heroes. Linderman's fascination with bloodlines lends some credence to that theory. When it all went pear shaped, for whatever reason, Linderman continued to use the resources of The Company for his own ends along with Angela Petrelli, while Kaito pretty much disavowed himself of the whole thing.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

22. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Woah!
    Kahlan and I first to see Ep6, or first to post?

- Paintings!!
    - - Mohinder (broken nose) shooting someone.
    - - Nikki banging a wall.
    - - HRG dead, Clare kissing somoene.
    - - Hiro vs Kensei!
    - - Peter+Biohazard (+ Adam Monroe?); and
    - - Kaito dead (not pictured).

Hiro stuffing up time - can't wait to see where this goes! Ooo, the father is that guy! (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa - Mortal Kombat, Memoirs of a Giesha, The Phantom)...

Kahlan and I have been thinking - Does Sylar have a version of the Company's "Treatment"? Not the disease, and not Mohinder's blood, but the stuff Bob wanted Mohinder the use on CopyCat girl..?

23. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    First to post, I think. Watched it last night with Loz. Wow.

Some BIG developments this one.

Firstly: We have a name - Adam Monroe. One of the founders of the Company, and therefore one of The Twelve. Which means he is either this guy, or this guy. We also know that in the four months between the end of Volume 1 and the start of Volume 2, he has been working with Peter on some sort of project, presumably involving the Company, and that sometime just prior to Peter's memory loss, he decided that they had to be taken down. The picture is still fuzzy, but it's getting interesting.

Secondly: In less than a year's time, some terrible calamity will strike New York, causing it to be evacuated. Smart money is on an outbreak of the Shanti Virus, having mutated and crossed over into the general population.

And thirdly: We've seen the paintings. The entire series of eight. (I'm so excited that Isaac is continuing to play a part in the series from beyond the grave, whether it's through paintings left undiscovered, or Peter's inheritance of his powers. I love the paintings as a narrative device, and had been really disappointed to think that they wouldn't play a part in season 2. It's awesome to be wrong :D)

So let's go through them, huh?

1/8: The death of Kaito Nakamura.
    2/8: Claire lying on the staircase after being dropped by West.
    3/8: A vial of something, presumably the virus.
    4/8: Niki (Jessica?) pounding on something, likely a door.
    5/8: Peter standing next to a biohazard symbol.
    6/8: Hiro and Kensei crossing swords.
    7/8: Mohinder (looking worse for wear, check out the bandage on his nose) immediately after shooting a gun.
    8/8: Noah Bennett lying dead on the ground, shot, while Claire and an unknown figure stand nearby.

Some thoughts:

- Not really important in the grand scheme, but who identified these as all part of the same series? Was it Isaac? Did he somehow know that they were all related? Or did someone else have some sort of special insight?

- The biohazard symbol in the painting of Peter seems to definitely confirm the theory that the disaster that befalls New York is the virus.

- Does anyone else find it ominous that 7 and 8 are on opposite ends of the barrel of a gun? The question is: Is it the same gun?

Oh, and fourthly: Hiro? This time you really HAVE fraked up history. This is not going to go well...

Very, very excited by all this. This show remains completely fantastic.

24. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Bad, bad news. The Writers' Guild of America is about to begin a much publicised strike, which is going to cause the TV industry to grind to a screeching halt.

And here's the worst part: Season 2 of Heroes may END with episode 11 because of this. Unless some kind of 11th hour settlement is reached, this is how it's going down. I'm extremely unhappy about this, needless to say.

25. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    And the tragic thing about it is that the studios know they can survive without the Writers Guild. They'll just pump out more reality tv - after all, the last time the WGA went on strike was just before the upsurge in reality shows. Since that format has proven so popular with the lowest common denominator, we're not likely to see capitulation on the part of the studios any time soon.

EDIT:

Even worse, it's not just the Writer's Guild going out on strike - the Screen Actors Guild and the Director's Guild are planning a strike early next year over many of the same issues, though that will predominantly affect the motion picture side of Hollywood rather than television. Time to invest in watching quality British programming, methinks. Spooks has just started up again with an interesting adjustment to the format... I wonder if I should get into Torchwood and Dr Who as well? Maybe pick up a taste for Bollywood productions? Or maybe foreign films from Canada?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.