main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD "Heroes"

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Magnus_Darcrider, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    I heard about the strike, and that it was coming up soon when I was at Armageddon in Melbourne last month. Peter Woodward mentioned it. I'm seriously concerned about the effect this will have on our fave shows.

Regarding Heroes, I am really enjoying this season so far. Curious to see where it will go from here!!!

2. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the other bad news of the strike: Origins has apparently been shelved.

This doesn't necessarily mean the end. The very nature of the show (viewers vote which character joins the series) means the outcome was always going to be a wildcard. It wouldn't really affect season three plans, and the idea could easily be revived later. Still. Bummer.

As for season two, now I'm back and Brisbane and done with study, I can't wait to catch up on the last three episodes with a marathon effort tonight. The non-spoiler comments in the thread sound very promising.

3. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    Episode 7: Out of Time

Crapxorz!11!!i!1I1! I sure as hell didn't see this one coming.
    Certainly a lot happens in this episode...

Peter and Caitlin end up lost and seperated in time. Future New York is one scary place. The city (and, as we soon find out, the world) has been decimated by the Shanti Virus. Surviving federal forces are rounding up and decontaminating anyone they find in New York, and deporting foreigners. Peter learns that he is literally a dead man walking, believed to have been one of the first victims of the plague - we know he's just been shacking up with Caitlin and jumping through time. A quick meet'n'greet with Mama Petrelli unlocks a few memories about who he is, and we get some confirmation that Mama does in fact have a power. What it is, is anyone's guess at this stage, though. A reunion with Caitlin through some chicken wire tears them apart, with Caitlin being dumped on the next plane back to Ireland, and Peter materialising in the Montreal office where they started a year before...

Matt and Nathan team up to warn Bob about Papa Parkman. Bob in turn eventually suggests that Adam Munroe is using Maury to get some revenge on the old crowd. However, Bob ain't telling the truth - he implies that Adam has been locked up for years, and only escaped a couple of weeks ago. A note in a Montreal office implies otherwise...

Maury finally arrives, and starts causing havoc. He locks Nicki in a nightmare and uses her to go after Bob and Nathan, who's busy learning some of what happened to Peter over the previous four months. Nicki beats up on Mohinder, setting the scene partway for one of the final eight paintings to come true. She takes a syringe full of the Shanti virus to go after Bob, but she fights off the nightmare long enough to inject herself with the virus. Meanwhile, Matt learns that he has the potential to be exactly like his father, in a nice friendly neighbourhood cop sort of way, trapping his father in a nightmare while rescuing Molly from her own nightmare. The aftermath sees some revelation about the nature of the Shanti virus - the little bug has been engineered into something Mohinder's blood can't cure. Bob gives Mohinder a Company gun, while persuading him that bringing in Claire might be the only thing that can save Nicki...

Hiro goes some way toward correcting his mistakes, but can't quite do enough. Last seen being clubbed over the head by Kensei, he's next seen tied to a board chasing dragons while Yakeo and the swordsmith watch Kensei torment him. Later, a quick getaway sees Hiro and Yaeko looking down at the camp, plotting to correct things. Hiro leaves to destroy White Beard's armoury, getting caught in the act by Kensei. Another of Isaac's final eight paintings comes true, with a sword fight in a tent filled with kegs of black powder and guns knocking over a lantern Hiro intended to use as a fuse to blow that popstand and not look back. The powder gets touched off, Hiro teleports away, leaving Kensei to be blowed to bits. He later returns, sees a charred corpse, claims Kensei's helmet as a souvenir, and says his farewells to Yaeko, telling her the story of Kensei and the dragon - a metaphor perhaps for his own experiences? His return to the 21st century sees him dropping in on Ando, surprising him with Kensei's helmet as a souvenir of his adventures.

Peter returns to Montreal without Caitlin, and tries to teleport back to the future, but something disturbs him, and he shoots a bolt of lightning off at a hand that... heals itself.

And finally... say hello to Mr Adam "the Hero formerly known as Takezo Kensei" Munroe, who claims that together, he and Peter are going to change history.

A fair bit more happens, I've left the Claire arc all alone.

To be honest, I sure as heck did not expect Adam Munroe to be Kensei. I fully expected him to turn up, but I was leaning toward him being the Irish gangster that Caitlin's brother pays off with the armoured car heist. I'll put a hundred on him being Elle's father at this stage. Dunno what he

4. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Sorry just had to quote myself :)

By the end of this most recent episode it was sheer instinct that Kensei was Adam. I just expected him to appear when Peter hopped back to the future, don't know why. And when he did I knew he was going to say "Hello Peter, my name is Adam." That is the mark of BRILLIANT writing.

I don't think that Adam has any other power other than his self-regen. I think that his being 400 years old givens him the confidence and the charisma and simply the basic knowledge of HOW and WHY people work to allow him to influence power men like Maury to do his bidding. The snow storm was Adam's idea but he didn't provide the muscle.

This further suggests something that I raised earlier - Linderman wasn't technically the company. He had access to it, to the resources and had a lot of influence, but he wasn't actually the company. A divide happened somewhere along the way, and Linderman and Adam ended up on one side. Angela presumably joined them and Kaito and Charles appear to have gone the other way. Bob was probably sitting in the middle - he didn't agree but an opportunist never disagrees with either side when either side has an equal chance of winning a bet. This is just going by what he said to Nathan in this episode. Adam seems to have been a loose cannon for a little while - wouldn't surprise me if this is what started "the divide".

As for Sylar... Sylar could have been Adam's original plan. Candice was directly under Linderman's orders so it would make sense that she would probably follow Adam's orders too.
    The other side is that she could be company pure and simple and she administered the virus to Sylar... I don't think that is the case however it would make sense that if the company has engineered the virus to be incurable (presumably to use on Peter), they could also engineer the virus to be non-fatal.

Anyhow the big cause for concern though is Maya, with her virus spreading powers if either Sylar gets them or Sylar offs Alejandro then the future Peter saw is a certainty.

5. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Wow, what an amazing episode.

I don't really have any more to add than what Cargin and Loz said about the revelations of the ep, but I feel compelled to update my list...

The Twelve, their status, and their powers.

- Arthur Petrelli. Deceased. Power unknown.
    - Angela Petrelli. Power unknown, likely some kind of mental ability, perhaps influence over people's thoughts.
    - Daniel Linderman. Deceased. Healing.
    - Kaito Nakamura. Deceased. Power Unknown.
    - Bob. Aurification (the ability to turn objects to gold. He may or may not be able to convert to other metals).
    - Maury Parkman. Large-scale mental manipulation.
    - Charles Deveaux. Deceased. Power unknown.
    - Adam Monroe, AKA Takezo Kensei. Spontaneous regeneration.
    - Unidentified Man (Pratt?) Deceased? Power unknown.
    - Unidentified Woman #1 Deceased? Power unknown.
    - Unidentified Woman #2 Deceased? Power unknown.
    - Unidentified Woman #3 Deceased? Power unknown.

Note: The name Pratt comes from Nathan, talking to Bob about the family names he knows from the group. We don't know if it's a he or a she, I just put the name with Unidentified Male because he was first on the list.

Next week's episode is called '4 Months Ago', which means I am extremely excited. The flashback episode last season was brilliant, and going by the preview, this one ain't going to disappoint. But I'm still holding out for a flashback episode taking us to the heyday of The Twelve, when they first joined forces. I'm sure we'll get one someday.

6. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    Okay... it does appear Bob has been honest - from a certain point of view. That introduction between Adam and Peter does seem to be in a cell of some sort. The real question now is how long was Peter locked in a shipping container in Cork harbour, and precisely how did he get there?

My initial suspicion was that Nathan dropped him just before going nuclear, and that he fell to Earth, hitting the container, healing and morphing his way through. Nice simple and lazy story-writing. But that didn't really add up when Ricky showed off the box with Peter's personal effects.

The preview is confirmation of a feeling that Peter got his lightning fingers from Elle - Ted's ability was more great balls of nuclear fire rather than controlled electro-kinesis.

Another good question is whether Adam is manipulating Peter or whether he's genuinely horrified at what the Company is doing. I suspect though, it's a fairly safe bet that he killed Kaito (possibly using Maury as the blunt instrument) based on his promise to cause Hiro as personal pain as possible.

Oh... and I'm revising my bet on Elle. She's Bob's daughter - I'm almost certain of it. But I'm known to be wrong.

7. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I forgot to mention this: I don't think Maury killed Kaito at all, Cargin. Look at what Peter's wearing in that final scene. A white, long-sleeved top with a hood.

Could be circumstantial, sure, but I doubt it. We have no reason to believe that Peter arrived at the same moment he left, as opposed to days, weeks or even months earlier. Until I see evidence to the contrary, my working assumption is that Peter is at some point in the past (more than a week, less than four months) and that he will, at some point soon, go to the roof of the Devaux building and kill Kaito Nakamura. The killer vanished, remember? Flight, invisibility, teleportation...

8. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    True dat. It's occurred to me that when extrapolating Heroes, you have to think laterally - the simple explanation on initial inquiry is usually not the one that turns out to be right. You definitely can't subscribe to Occam's Razor when thinking about it, though when viewed in hindsight, we end up thinking "Now why the hell didn't I think of that?!?!?"

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Just to re-iterate, though, Loz called it. :p Yeah, it was almost a completely random "what if" statement, but she called it. :p

Loz gets 1 point. I hope you're all keeping score at home.

10. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    OUCH!

11. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Here's a short but interesting article in which Tim Kring acknowledges season two's missteps.

For what it's worth, I don't think the slow buildup comes close to the creative trainwreck many are claiming it to be, but it certainly could have been done better, especially in light of the arc's half-season length. It's promising to see those behind the show willingly accept that.

12. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Apart from the length of Hiro and Kensei and the Princess in Japan, I haven't noticed the "problems" in the article.

Looks like the Trek fan syndrome. I get what I'm given and enjoy it. Some fans are insatiable and kill it off with demands.

I'm undecided on Peter being the tool of Adam Kensei-Monroe in "the past"...

13. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Really enjoyed the last episode.

Eager to find out what did happen to Peter in those 3 months. Would be cool/scary if he did have some/lots of contact with Elle and Adam. Who is actually doing harm and who is trying to help is so blurry right now, it's not so difficult to believe Peter was talked into doing things he really shouldn't have been. Still, Peter killing Hiro's Dad...hmmmmmm? Not sure.

Liked Mr Parkmans manipulation of Niki through DL.
    Felt good when Matt worked out how to save Molly, although their Dad and kid relationship still feels forced to me.
    But Mohinder....WOH..don't be trusting Bob!

Loved the Peter in the future aspect. A little freaked that so many dead bodies are being kept so close to where the last remaining humans live in New York.. Cheered inwardly just a little when he remembered his Mum, although not the bad bits. And yeah Mrs Petrelli does have mind manipulation powers. She talked to Matt that time. But yeah, Peter is the character I seem to connect with the most, and feel his joys and frustration. I know Goobs has that with Hiro, although me I got kind of bored with the ancient Japan scenes. Head kept screaming..OH JUST STAY THERE!! you can travel back to whenever you want whenever you want!

Don't care particularly about Claire but still seem to enjoy those storylines. Liked watching her challenge her Dad.

My brain don't tick quite as fast as some of you..LOL, but I enjoy reading your thoughts and it does make me enjoy the show on a different level to what I normally would.

Bring on the rest of the season :)

14. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I get what I'm given and enjoy it. Some fans are insatiable and kill it off with demands.

QFT.

The season started a little slowly, and could have been plotted a little tighter in places, but I'm mystified by the people throwing their arms up and declaring that it's been horrible. I mean, what the hell, guys?

I love the internet, but I hate the people who use it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

15. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    So does this mean that Adam saved Sylar as well as Nathan? And was he a part of the Company plot to wipe out NY last time?

Goob's bet:
    ...it was Adam IMO who killed Kaito. Maury was used on Angela Petrelli.

Kaito said to:
    - Ando: "...Could be any of them...[and]...all of them are very powerful."
    - his killer: "Of all of them, I never expected it would be you."

Of course, now we know that Peter was locked in the container one month ago and went to Ireland with Haitian-delivered amnesia. Adam wanted to use Peter, but hasn't so far.

16. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    I've finally caught up. Between assignments and tech problems yesterday, took me a while. I'll post the grand-daddy of all recaps later tonight after the Anime Double Feature.

Episodes 6 & 7 still suffered from some of the pacing problems Tim Kring has apologised for, but they were improvements over the first 5 episodes.

Episode 8 knocked it out of the park.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

17. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Downloaded latest episode during the night and got up at 530 am this morning to watch it before work. That's commitment! :)

This morning after watching, and during the molar section of teeth brushing I decided that Claire and her boyfriend were killing the company "men". If all Claire's stuff with hanging with your neck probed boy and her getting really angry about her Dad and what was going on was actually in the four months ago time frame, this'd make a sort of sense to me. Doesn't matter if she falls off a building either. She's angry..how do we stop this..ahh death and destruction. In the cold halflight of evening it makes much less sense. But meh. Also..be cool if she wasn't Nathan's daughter but Adams.

WAS SO excited to see what had happened immediately after end of last season. That should have been the first episode. OF course..waiting for it was cooler. Nathan wasn't pretty; was still very emotional watching him save New York; but still didn't fill in enough gaps as to why he let go of his family. Would his wife give up so quickly on his Mum's say so?

And of course Elle being all "fun" with Peter in lock up. She's such a cutie ain't she.

As mehish as i am with Maya's story, it was still a very large WOH moment when she wiped out the wedding celebrations. I think I said WOH.

Goobs said DL's death was cheap and it was, although since I already figured he was dead, it wasn't of huge impact, although explains Nikki leaving Micah. And micah, just make a happy show where he smiles through all of it. Could brighten up a dead fish that boy's smile.

Anyway..as always...woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot.

18. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Adam+Maury+Peter = devestation.
    Could Adam control Peter without having a controlling power - hell yeah.
    At this stage the only two people who would be able to survive the "fall" are Adam and Peter - Claire seems too far removed from the story line at this point in time.

Interesting point about Sylar, and yes I do believe it is possible, but here's the interesting thing, would seem to me that Sylar got feed the same drugs as Peter. So how many days has it been now?

19. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    So...does Sylar have 'the illness' or was he on the Company 'power-supressors'?

20. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    That is the question Goobs, that very much is the question.

21. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Previous questions answered!

Kaito killed by Adam.

HRG was killed by Mohineder! Sort of...
    ...this story arc in this ep gave me 3 heart attacks! Elle zapping West & Clare, MOHINDER SHOOTING HRG, and HRG LIVES!!!

And...
    Hiro allowing history to take its course - tear jerker. He's becoming a super hero.

Matt's path to the dark side has begun.

Does this make every painting complete?
    - Clare on stairs.
    - HRG 'Dead'.
    - Mohinder with gun.
    - Peter in biohazard future.
    - Nikki tearing door down (to get to Mohinder/Bob).
    - Hiro vs Kensi.
    - Kaito Dead.
    - The 'treatment' or virus...

Seems so!

This show is awesome!

22. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Continuing the bright colours...

Adam just seems out for revenge at this point in time. Only 3 founders remain.

Did anyone see the look on Angela's face as she said "400 years". Yeah Adam is probably a little crazy, but methinks they locked him up because of the "400 years" rather than because of the "CRAZY". I mean Linderman was crazy and Angela was happy to go along with it... *shrug*

What will Matt do...

23. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Channel Seven were doing so well. They were airing Heroes one week after the US broadcast in a timeslot both decent and consistent. It was never going to discourage most of us from certain "descriptive" alternatives, but my I was happy to see them finally getting their act together.

Now they're billing tonight's episode (last week's) as the "season finale".

I really hope this is simple miscommunication; that in all the chaos and confusion of the writer's strike, the network programmers picked this as an ideal point to place things on hold, unaware the current arc was so close to wrapping up.

Whatever the reason, withholding episodes from Australian viewers is utter stupidity, and falsely calling episode nine a finale is disrespectful of the viewers and show creators alike. It's a major step backwards after such a promising leap forwards. I want to believe it's a simple error, but Channel 7's past actions in such matters suggest otherwise. Pity.

Not that this directly affects any of us. Now I'm off to watch 210, and mark my words, I am positively giddy.

24. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Yeah also noted they said it was the season finale when I watched it last weeek. I hadn't realised til then that they were only an episode behind and enjoyed my first tv watching this season. i wondered if they were going to do a double episode last night and take it right from America two days after it was aired there. Don't know. Didn't stay up last night to see.

Agreed though Happy Bob, if they decided to end the season on last weeks episode, then... CRAZY!..although didn't we just go out of ratings period. Seems a networky enough reason to just STOP wherever a show was up to. MAybe in the off season they'll replay last seasons Heroes. Or not. Silly suggestion.

25. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    If nine was a cliffhanger, I have no words to describe how ten was left!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.