main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD "Heroes"

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Magnus_Darcrider, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    I think I speak for all who do not have a copy of ep 13 when I say this.

GIMME! [face_mischief]

Or if you prefer:

Prithee, handeth over yon chapter with all swiftness.

2. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Ok so I finally got around to watching eps 10 and 11, so I know need the next 2 :D Then I can be up to date with you guys!!

heheh Gimme :p

3. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    It's ON!!!! :D

4. monkiee

monkiee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2007
    Tee hee. I so didn't think I was gonna watch it after the marathon, but when it started and I just couldn't help myself. And why not, it's a great show and helps bumps up the ratings. Not to mention Hiro totally rocks! YATTA!

5. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Yes, Hiro is great, but TBH the first episode belongs to Claire. When I first heard about the "indestructable" cheerleader from others I was prepared for a really annoying blonde, but the opening episode paints her in a likable light and honestly I don't think I would have liked her character nearly as much without those first two (three?) scenes she appears in and all the teen angst she has about being different.

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I've been thinking about the scene between Phoenix and Wolverine in X-men 3, the final one where he is the only one to stand against her powers. Save the cheerleader, save the world. Seems like we might see something similar between Sylar/Claire. Speaking of which, would it actually be possible for Sylar to kill Claire? If the ability rests within the DNA, Sylar just can't simply "steal" it, he is just adding to his collection and Claire would heal.

6. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Lozza:

Claire can be killed. Remember the episodes where she went to the party after the football? She ended up with a stick embedded in her (Cerebellum? Somewhere in her) brain. Until the stick was removed, she was a corpse. Cold, colourless.
    I believe that if Sylar had of done what he does (opening heads and going for the grey stuff), she would have died. One of the parts that keeps her going would no longer be there.

imo. :)

7. monkiee

Jan 14, 2007
    Yeah, I kinda see it that way too, Goobs. If Sylar does take her brain to steal her power, or at least a piece of it, then that missing piece wouldn't be able to regenerate and she would stay dead, especially when you take into account the stick in her head. Damage to the brain seems to be one of her few weakness.

8. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Ah but when the stick was removed she did regen. Which is my point. If her ability is indeed in her DNA Sylar cannot TAKE that. He could take her (whole) brain - then she wouldn't be able to function, but if she got it back she'd heal. Sounds kinda crazy I know and maybe there is a time limit on it. But how long did she have that stick in her head? How long does it take all the organs to shut down? If there is so much as a scrap of cellular material alive there, can she grow more? I mean she cut off those fingers and they grew back.

9. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Well this is one of those things I'd never really thought I'd be discussing on forums...

We now have the option: Does she regrow lost limbs/organs? Can she regrow her brain if it was taken? Or is her brain the exception (her weakness as Monkiee suggested), with it gone her powers are gone too?

I lean towards the latter. But I can see how it would work out with your approach Lozza. I don't think we'll get to find that out, with Peter having saved her. I think Sylar's going to find something else to go after.

Also (Ep 11 Spoiler), Did Sylar get enough time near Peter to learn his power?

(n.b. I haven't seen 1.13 yet.)

10. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    *ahem*

I personally lean towards the theory that if you damage her brain and leave her without the ability to regenerate the damage (such as leaving the tree branch in her skull), she's dead. There probably is a time limit for her cellular structure to become completely inert, beyond that limit and I'd say she'd be permanently dead.

Given previous evidence, we know Sylar completely removes the brain. Whether Claire can grow her brain back is subject to much conjecture. Again, I lean towards no. However, in "Ultimate X-Men" the reason for Wolverine's amnesia is that the Weapon X project removed his brain then molecularly bonded the adamantium to his skeleton. After the process, his brain grew back as a blank slate, and the Weapon X project educated the new brain as they saw fit.

Consequently, this means Wolverine will never get his old memories back.

So, maybe Claire can do it, but there may be a price.

On another note, I feel there's a slight incongruity between the Sylar we met from Chapter 10 onwards and the Sylar who wrote "I have sinned, may God forgive me" Se7en style on his apartment walls. That implies some sort of remorse, the newly born Sylar in Chapter 10 and beyond wouldn't feel that.

Just something to think about.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

11. monkiee

Jan 14, 2007
    I tend to think that from a story hints point of view the tree branch injury to Claire's brain suggests that this is her weak spot and it could ultimately lead to her death. I also think that the fact that future Hiro coming back to warn Peter about the threat to Claire life also seems to lean towards the idea that an attack from Sylar (who would attack the brain) would put her in serious danger and possibly even lead to her death.

But this does not rule out the idea of her being able to regen, however, it may have just been a ruse by FH to get Peter on the right path and prevent Sylar from gaining a power FH didn't want him to have. But with that said, the goal wasn't to 'stop sylar' it was 'save the girl, save the world'.

Personally, I think both ideas are possible, but tend to lean towards no brain = dead claire.

Also, on MD's point about Sylar, I think that even though he gives off the vibe of a cold hearted killer, he might have relaspes where he regrets doing what he did. For example, killing that family with the little girl. He may have related to child and felt bad for taking away her parents because he himself feels alone. But then again, he may have never even known she was there.

Hmmmm? Its all so complex...

12. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Just a thought: perhaps Sylar did show remorse in the beginning, but after a while became too twisted by all the things he did that he couldn't feel anything but hunger anymore.

13. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    If we go with Mohinder's comment at one point about the soul being in the brain, chances are if Claire's brain is gone, she's dead - end of story. "Save the cheerleader, save the world" I interpret as "if sylar get's Claire's powers, he'll be invincible and then it will all go to hell". But then the new development with Peter's rather combustable dream sequences seems to say that something else is going on...

Actually, I've just had a thought. What if Sylar obtained Claire's powers, and also obtained nuclear boy's powers - would he be able to regenerate after going boom? And then, could he not move from place to place until the world was big smoking crater? :eek:[face_thinking]

Sylar strikes me personality wise, as someone who doesn't deal on a level of right or wrong - He says that he 'understands how things work'.. He wants to be special, and is angry and upset when Dr Suresh is doubtful that he has any outstanding power and doesn't seem to want to accept that. I dunno - the Sylar we've met in the later episodes seems like a completely different character to the one writing Forgive Me all over the walls - or possibly one more complex than I have yet come to understand...

14. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Possible, and the easy explaination for it all and, given the number of episodes between when we see Sylar's abode and when we actually meet him in the flesh, it is possible that the producers/writers/directors decided to change their approach to the character. The sensible side of me says this is what happened.

The conspiritorial side of me says that it does have a place and that Sylar is more than we know. Perhaps he is being controlled somehow. That his crazy side only comes out in certain circumstances and when he is in his "sane" state he actually is remorseful. Afterall he seemed like a nice enough guy to begin with. Now here is a crazy thought, he only went crazy after meeting Chandra, Chandra knew Eden, Eden had power, a power that could make Sylar go crazy. A bit far-fetched considering Eden obviously didn't like Sylar or what he was doing. Obviously she wanted to kill him, thought he was a danger. Maybe she was being controlled too.

Gah, I'll stop there. I'll go with my sensible side on this one.

15. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I dunno... You say he was nice in the beginning, but from the moment we actually get introduced to his character he has seemed slightly off-kilter, even when in his sort of "nice and sane" mode... He was the nice guy with the potential of craziness swimming very close to the surface of his psyche.

16. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm thinking of that scene with Chandra, possibly one of their first real conversations. He was so polite, obviously excited that there might be something special about him. Yes, he became frustrated later but after that first killing (viewed in six months earlier) he seemed insane when he was talking to Chandra. This does not match with the remorseful, almost religious, expression of his sins that we see earlier in the season in his abode. My sensible side says that the guy who owned that flat was not the one who was apologising to Chandra in episode 10(?). Insane Sylar would not be capable of such... almost self-loathing...

17. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    You know I've never really thought of it quite like that before.

They are saving Claire from Sylar because that would give him ultimate power. MAybe that wass obvious to everyone else. Me I thought that Claire jsut had something special the world needed, like she was the missing link that could save everyone from disease or whatever.

I like the way everyone's thinking here. Not ususally into reading analysis/ideas, but amazed at what our geeky brains are coming up with.

18. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Gah!, damn all the blacked out area's... I've been downloading the series as I speek and well I've only seen up to Ep 8 so far... Yet I am so hooked... Egads but the verse knows I am loving this show. Best show ever!!! If only it didn't take two hours for each episode... Oh yes still waiting for ep 9... 1 hour 30min to go... [face_praying] Faster, faster, faster please, please, please. :p

19. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    56 min :eek: My plee was heard.... Yeah! [face_dancing]

20. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Ok ep9 is down pat, I'm catching up with you guys ;) 40min till ep10... Oh yeah, I'm so pumped :D

21. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Well, not the most exciting ep I have to say... [face_tired]

22. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    You know, I went to bed after watching ep11 leaving my puter on to get ep12 & 13 while I slept. Got up all geared to watch the final two only to discover that ep12 had no sound... At first I thought it might be just a recap thing but then I realised it wasn't. Gah! Now what was up with that?

EDIT: I feel as though I'm talking with myself here... EEEP! [face_worried]

23. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I dunno. The copy of episode 12 that I got had sound. It's possible you don't have the correct codec installed. Failing that, you'll just have to get another copy.

24. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Yeah I did that but it was screwy inparts as well, least it had sound that one. Well I'm trying for a third time to see if I can get a more stable version.

Of course now that I have seen them all, that which is availible at any rate. Kind of saw the 13th ep cliff hanger ending coming though. I just knew that was going to happen.

25. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    OMG, i was talking with a friend from the U.S and she told me about epi 14 of heroes...

I am so looking forward to see the next episode now![face_hypnotized]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.