main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC hey christians [a thread about aliens]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Maybe god's like Galactus where it just looks like whatever species is viewing it. So what it told us was true... from a certain point of view.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If I'm going to hell, the aliens are coming with me.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I would not want to get into an argument over religion with an intelligent species capable of interstellar space travel.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "We've been to the center of the galaxy and we're here to tell you you're wasting your time with this God stuff. Apparently God is a crappy special effect with a bad attitude who needs to bum rides from people."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

"What does god need with a messageboard?"

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Fundamentalist Religious group from third galaxy planet starts war with dominant galactic government; human race exterminated.

7. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Oh, that's easy. We just kill them all.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

"Once again, the LAPD is asking Los Angelenos not to fire their guns at the visitor spacecraft. You may inadvertently trigger an interstellar war."

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    BREAKING NEWS: Planetary Conflict imminent as LAPD accidentally shoot two unarmed alien females while chasing Dorner.

Darth Guy and Rogue_Ten like this.
  10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    lapd would deffo beat the crap out of an alien if they were at First Contact. and then plant drugs on it

or maybe the aliens dont look like us and that proves they are inferior and made to serve us. again, mormons, im looking at you

11. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i'm a christian and i think there's aliens and that god loves them too

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

maybe instead of belittling my questions with petty labels you should try honestly asking yourself all of them?

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    There's a wonderful Ray Bradbury story about a guy who is traveling around the galaxy, trying to catch up with "Jesus." Jesus, you see, is working his way through the galaxy, being born, living, dying, etc. on every single planet in the galaxy, in order to bring salvation to that particular planet. This guy wants to catch up with him and eventually be able to be on a planet at the same time as "Jesus" is.

I say Jesus, but the story is actually vague about which religious figure it is. It could be Buddha or Mohammed or whoever the reader wants it to be. I, of course, want it to be Jesus. But it's a wonderful premise for a story. Of course, at the conclusion, the guy rushes off again after barely missing "Jesus" on one particular planet. The tragedy of the guy is that he'll never realize, as one of the planet's inhabitants says at the conclusion, that "Jesus" or "God" or whoever, is, in fact, always with us. The dude's missing the spiritual truth by chasing the physical one. Wonderful little parable. And Jesus did, after all, tell the disciples when He was leaving this earth, that he had "other sheep" that needed to hear His voice. The Mormons say he was referring to the ancient Americans. Peter argues that He was talking about the souls of those good and faithful people who had died before salvation through Jesus was available. Yeah, sure, could be, I guess. Or maybe He meant something else . . . well, we'll see.

As to my personal beliefs, there are certainly passages in the Bible that could be interpreted as referring to aliens. I don't know that they exist or that they don't. I'm skeptical of things like UFOs and "alien abductions" and such; I doubt societies and cultures advanced enough to have developed the technology necessary to have traveled the massive distances required to find us would behave in such bizarre ways - cutting up cows, sticking probes up human rectums, putting on an airshow in the sky and then just leaving. If they're out there and know we're here, they'd be explicitly contacting us, probably. Or else just shunning us entirely. All these shenanigans the believers say? Eh, I doubt it. So, I don't believe aliens are behind most of the things people say they're behind. But could there be a planet, or even several, out there that contains intelligent life? The universe is mind-bogglingly huge; of course it could be. Logically, one could even say it's not just possible, but straight up probable. The Bible certainly doesn't claim they don't exist and so the discovery of aliens wouldn't damage the faith at all.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Thanos wrote the Bible.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Spiritual image.

The supermajority of Jews/Christians/Muslims believe God has no body (except when God incarnated as Jesus).

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

To woo Death...

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    No wonder she rejected him...

18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I don't like what the Catholic Church did to this guy back in the day...

19. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    The Bible doesn't really say anything conclusively one way or the other on the subject. There are things which people have interpereted as references to non-human lifeforms on other worlds, but none of them have been universally agreed upon as specifically referring to such beings.

Even then, the Bible is about the relationship between God and humans. Only He would know what, if anything, needs to be mentioned to another race on another world. The most we could do is speculate that it would be like what we have, but as you mentioned in the first post, their circumstances could be totally different from our own and have an entirely different set of needs from us.

20. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes. Especially when he meets the Mimbari and the Vulcans. :p :p

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    B5 spoilers come on

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

There's a lot more to image than appearance.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I was taught that "God made us in his image" was about our souls, not our physical body.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Well... to be fair, you do have a bit of a reputation. :p