main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO HEY EXPERTS. I need Tie Fighter advice. (And a little XWA too).

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Apr 11, 2016.

1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Hi 10005, I miss you.

I've been trying to get back into XWA, Tie Fighter and the like, but I'm struggling with control set ups, and working out which edition of the game I should be playing. Apparently I've read the 1998 re-releases have serious balancing issues in the missions when they updated it to the new engine? The beautiful iMuse stuff is missing.
    Truth be told, I'm a bit lost.

I bought one of those fancy Saitek x52 Pro sticks, hoping that I'd just be able to plug it in, turn it on, all good - but I was wondering if anyone still perusing these boards had any reasonable tips for running the best optimized version of the game (or at least, the best optimized in their opinion).

(also, if anyone has any tips with an issue I have with XWA, my joystick, when centered, doesn't respond to tiny movements - on the offchance anyone else has struggled with that too)

Much love,
    Richard

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    As far as editions are concerned, GOG has all three for TIE Fighter (original, '95 Collectors, and '98). You probably wanna go with '95 as that's regarded as the definitive edition.

I'm not much help with the joystick issues, though. Honestly, the GOG forums are probably your best bet for any technical stuff.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The best you'll get here is someone telling you TIE Fighter is redundant because there's BATTELFONT 2

heels1785 likes this.
  4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Also, addendum to this that I'd love to play some XvT or the like with people on here again at some point, I know Sesfan is around for those shinanegans too.

wow. how [h]ecking dare you.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Don't shoot the messenger!

6. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I'd be down for trying multiplayer at some point...assuming I can remember how to fly. I've got XWA and XvT via Steam.

I've got the 94 and 98 versions of TIE Fighter on GOG, but I'm not seeing the 95 version. Is that listed under a separate title?

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Nope, it should be in your library along with those two:

[​IMG]