Hey Folks and opinions on OT changes.

Discussion in 'Lafayette, LA' started by ArtisticJedi, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArtisticJedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey Folks!

I haven't been around for ages but I decided to start coming back to fanforce Acadiana.

Anyhoo, sorry to hear I missed a meeting!

I was wondering though, what your opinions are toward the supposed "Changes" to the original trilogy that is coming out on Dvd, this steptember.

personally, I think lucas is going to do whatever he wants, regardless of how insane it may sound. It is his vision, and lord knows the man is just going to make more money off it.

I hope that the jaba/han scene will be polished, and the greedo shooting first changed to its original state. yes, some things could use tweaking, like the black lines in jedi , but over all , i think the special edition is par for par.

which brings me to another question....

if lucas continues the changes to star wars and adds on to the prequels and comes out with new shiny boxed sets of dvd's will there ever be a time when people just stop carring? a time when people just accept the movies for what they are and leave it be, or rather will george himself ever do this.

wow, that was long winded.
    see you all around!!
  2. Swampsurfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I am glad to see you back on the boards for one.

Now, the additions to the OT is cool with me. See, the thing is, I never bought STAR WARS OT in any media. I would have by now, had they been offered in DVD, but not so. The OT (un-changed) VHS I do own, were a gift, so I don't feel cheated at all :D Now, if he let's Han shoot first, polishes up scenes that could use it, and adds material - WOOOT! I am thrilled :)

I did not even know he was going to make a Director's Cut Special Extended Edition. I thought that was just speculation and hearsay. If it is not, please drop me a link to some actual proof of added material. I would appreciate it.

My final comment is, I personally would LOVE to see Uncle George insert a computer enhanced extended cantina scene where Han was mackin' with the twins prior to his conversation with old Obi'wan and Luke. That would be the BOMB. In case you don't know what I am talking about, check out the Behind The Magic PC ROMs.
  3. SSDExecutor Jedi Knight

star 1
    Don't worry... I ended up missing the meeting too. :(

I have always been of the opinion that it's Lucas' creation, if he wants to change it - he has that right. The only thing I wish is that any changes he makes are changes that are things that he wanted in his original vision of the story and continuity and not changes based on political correctness such as Greedo shooting first (like the E.T. "shotgun" debacle). I hope that they change the Emperor in ESB and maybe add a few things in ANH to show characters that would have made no since to show in '77 (i.e. Bail Organa, etc.). I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
  4. ArtisticJedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes, the extended Han scene would be a nice addition. I think it would add to his character.

I was lucky enough to get the orignal version of the ot on VHS for christmas, so I'm with you there, Swampy.

Yes, I do feel Lucas has the right to alter his creation, just not at the expence of the story.
  5. Lord_Sidious Jedi Knight

star 3
    I really liked the additional windows they added on Cloud City in ESB. I also liked the extend celebration in ROTJ.
  6. Swampsurfer Jedi Knight

star 3
    SWG Emote ": nods his head in agreement."
  7. Lord_Sidious Jedi Knight

star 3
    I read from another site some of the DVD changes that are rumored. I am not about the read that 200 page thread in the OT forum to see what they are saying here, so take it for what it is worth.

1 The Han and Jabba scene in ANH will get "cleaned up".

2 The hologram of the Emperor in ESB will look more like the Emperor in ROTJ.

3 A young Anakin force ghost (Hayden) will replace the old Anakin force ghost at the end of ROTJ.
  8. ArtisticJedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've seen that anikan picture with hayden in it and i will tell you that that is (in my opinon) a nify photoshop trick. i don't think that is actually going to be cannon. but you never know.
  9. Ubigod Jedi Knight

star 1
    Are these the same changes that were linked on this thread? click here

I still think that any changes except minor touch ups are just a fanboy's wet dream.
    Ubigod
  10. Lord_Sidious Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wow, that is a lot of changes / additions. I was expecting a few, but not this many. Most of the ideas seem good on paper, but I guess we will have to wait and see how they look.
  11. EBSaints Force Ghost

star 6
    The only changes I'd be for is to change the OT back to their original state. I own the SE VHS tapes and in anticipation of possible mistakes...I mean new changes, I have purchased the original OT VHS tapes from ebay.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.