main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tampa, FL Hey guys. I'm (kinda) new around here...

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by TheHorrorNerd, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHorrorNerd

TheHorrorNerd Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 18, 2002
    Okay I've been on the forums for a while now and I've recently wanted to become active in the local chapter.
    I do have a few questions.
    In order to participate in the meetings do I need a costume?
    Where do most of you live? I'm in the Riverview area.
    Also what is the average age in the group. I have a feeling I'm near the bottom rung at 21...

2. Darth_Lego_Maul

Darth_Lego_Maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2005
    Hello! Nice to see someone new here. Let me see if I can help answer your questions. No, you do not need a costume to participate in the meetings. We all wear our regular clothes to them.

The people around here live all around the Tampa Bay area. I live in Tampa and we have people in Plant City, Spring Hill, Largo, etc. We also have a range of ages. I am currently in the last couple of weeks of my 20's. (I turn 30 on January 31- we should all celebrate!) Some people here are older than me and some are younger. Most importantly, no one will care how old you are. This is a very accepting group of people.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. HippieTrooper

HippieTrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2005
    We are not a costuming group, though most of us do costume, we do that at other events (ie: Rebel Legion, 501st events), but not at meetings. When we meet it is mostly to hang out, eat, watch SW, and everyone attempts to beat some guy named Bert at Trivial Pursuit.:D
    We range from Brandon/Plant City area all the way up to Spring Hill so we usually rotate where we meet and I believe our youngest member is 18.
    So welcome aboard, dont be shy, jump right in. Are you new to the area? Do you costume? Tell us about you so we can judge you....I mean welcome you, yeah, that's the ticket!8-}
    OK, that's enough helium breathing for now, must...regain....ability.....to....type....at...a...normal....rate......
    Later

4. TheHorrorNerd

TheHorrorNerd Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 18, 2002
    I dont have a costume yet but I'm currently ordering a saber from random sabers and I'm working on a jedi costume. I'm not really good at describing myself so here is a link to my myspace account... When's the next meeting and do you have a set day of the week that it will fall on?

5. HippieTrooper

Aug 31, 2005
    Havent scheduled the next meeting yet, it is usually the 2nd Sat of every month but being the holidays its been a little quiet here lately. Check in regularly to find out as soon as we come up with something or you can always host if interested.
    Marie has an awesome Jedi costume, and Im sure she would be happy to answer any questions you may have. As for lightsabers, we have had some workshops here on those, you can build a good looking saber for under $30. Here's a couple of shots of the last one I built for around $50:
    [image=http://www.fl501st.com/photo/albums/userpics/10391/normal_P1070121.JPG] [image=http://www.fl501st.com/photo/albums/userpics/10391/normal_P1070122.JPG] [image=http://www.fl501st.com/photo/albums/userpics/10391/normal_P1070123.JPG]
    No that is not a special effect, that is the actual blade of the saber. Actually I built the hilt around the blade so the only down side is that it is permanent and you cannot wear it on your belt. I usually bring it to event for kids to have something to hold in pictures, what they dont know is that the blade is wrapped in reflective tape and when the camara flash goes off it creates that effect. So they get a nice surprise when they develop their pics. Or if they have a digital camara as soon as they look into it.
    Anyway, if you have any questions, this is the place to ask.
    Later

6. I_heart_Fetts

I_heart_Fetts Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2005
    Hi new guy! I have nothing to add really.. just wanted to say hi and that Bert is indeed the lightsaber nazi. I mean, really good at building them.

7. Darth_Lego_Maul

Jul 30, 2005
    Yeah, Bert definitely is the lightsaber nazi. He is very good at building them, but don't let him fool you into thinking he'll help you make yours.

8. HippieTrooper

Aug 31, 2005
    :_|
    Yeah, the nerve of that Bert guy, marking all the pieces off and then making you do all the cuts yourself, how dare he! Its not like the workshop was "make your own lightsaber" rather than "Bert will make your lightsaber", what nerve! Someone should tell that Bert guy a thing or two [face_laugh]
    Oh I just know Im gonna hear about this.....[face_dancing]
    Let the bombardment of hate mail begin...
    Later

9. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    Hey, dremels are fun!

10. Darth_Lego_Maul

Jul 30, 2005
    Dremels are fun! Especially if you keep your eyes open while using one.

11. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    yes and wear goggles...I have learned to use a couple of other handy tools for all this...plan to get back into this stuff soon. I am working everyday in Feb. But will have time in afternoons.

12. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    This weekend would be a good time to join in on a prop workshop. Small group, right here in Tampa. PM me if you want directions
    [face_batting]

13. Unthinkable

Unthinkable Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2006
    Im kinda new in the locals too. I live in the Tampa/Odessa/Lutz area (very close to one another). The meetings sound cool, but Im only 15.

14. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    Plant City, eh? That's where I live...I figured I was the only JCer here in this hole-in-the-wall town.:p

15. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Our chapter allows for teens, but leans heavily towards adults or entire families where under-aged persons are supervised by their own parents. You are welcomed to post here, but activities tend to be only for folks over 18 unless their parent or gardian also participates at the function.:-B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.