main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Hey, I wrote a book! [this is not an ad]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Primetime_Jedi, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    It's not published yet!

I've finished the first draft of a fantasy/sci-fi adventure with mythic/magical themes. 84,000 words. I wanted to share this on TFN because this website and its people has been influential in my creative development. So in other words....thanks ya'll!

I've been a member here for 14 years (holy cow!!!). I got real involved in the lead up to AOTC. The process of analyzing spoilers and reading some fan fiction led me to try my own hand, and since I've written several SW screenplays (including my own scripts for EpVII and VIII).

I finally decided to try to write my own original stuff and over the past 10 months I wrote the first draft of my book. I'll be editing/revising over the next couple months and then trying to submit to publishers.

So if this hits it big, I'll be sure to let you know. hehehehe [face_mischief] (at the very least I will e-publish)

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Nice going. Was this part of NaNoWriMo?

(Don't be awful, people.)

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Good luck. Those are my genres.

Primetime_Jedi likes this.
  4. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    Nope. I never even heard of that until very recently. It's truly a coincidence I'm posting this on 11/30!

People here..awful? Never!

(So I hit 'reply' to quote and it's not quoting)

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Who are your influences?

6. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    This may seem obvious and cliché, but it's true. My influences are Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and good ol' Star Wars. With Tolkien, specifically The Silmarillion moreso than LOTR. In some ways, my book is "The Silmarillion in Space." Also a life-long interest in the Bible/Theology (Master's in Theology) informs my writing.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'll wait for the movie.

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Can you give us your elevator pitch?

9. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    Well, it's still "under revision," so I am still working on the best elevator pitch. I started toying around with query letters and I realized that I have to be able to nail it down perfectly in a few short sentences--much harder to do than one might think.

Basically, there's one planet in a solar system that is the last bastion of good. The other six planets have been taken over by the evil bad guy. Events in Book I (hopefully a series) swirl around a grand scheme to finally take over the final planet. This is the home world where thousands of years ago humans advanced to space travel and settled the other planets from there. The main character is a cross between Han Solo, Aragorn, and Jack Bauer (yes, I said that).

TrandoJedi and Ender Sai like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Given your background in theology and your love of sci-fi, your main competition is likely to be the bestselling works of fiction "the Book of Mormon" and anything L Ron Hubbard wrote on Scientology.

I wish you well in constructive a more plausible narrative than either of these did. Though, I suspect you won't need it, as they're dreadful.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I've heard of one dimensional characters...but one dimensional planets?

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    sounds racist

13. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Everyone knows Terrans are the only Good people. That's not racist. Martians are bad. Statistics!

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The War of Martian Aggression!

15. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    If gross generalizations are good enough for JRRT, George Lucas, Gene Roddenberry and James Cameron they're good enough for this book.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Look at what Twilight or Eragon sold.

17. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    But does it pass the Bechdel test?

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Someone was lucky enough to not be required to read Flatland for high school geometry...

19. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    If all of the characters get killed along the way and there are recipes for sister stew and barley bread then count me in.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Are you familiar with the works of Rennie Cowan?

21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm having some severe deja vu with this thread. I could have sworn I've read that exact OP before, with him listing his influences as the exact same authors before. Is this a copy/paste from the thread earlier this year? Are we making fun of it on purpose? Is this guy serious? Does he really think we're going to fall for this malarcky again?

22. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    This is not a duplicate thread. I remember awhile back somebody posted a thread similar to this, and I posted on that thread saying I had started my book. That might be what you're thinking of.

I've revealed very little about my book here, keeping it mysterious (not that anyone really cares yet ;)). The comments here are amusing.

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    This is actually a little different. The other guy had self-published his book and it was already out on e-shelves when he posted his thread. Still, finishing a first draft of a novel isn't nothing. My congratulations to you, Primetime, and unless you're some kind of experimental single-draft-only writer, I hope you know the real process begins now. Enjoy the rewriting.

I also don't think Primetime's pitch should be completely ridiculed. There's an audience for that kind of thing (maybe not most of us) and in that way, he's right on target and would be successful.

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Congrats Primetime. The plot looks interesting.

25. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    Thanks. I'm a little confused as to what is so weird about my "pitch." (it wasn't really a pitch, just a bare description of the basic setting) Put in Star Wars terms, it's as if there is one planet that hasn't yet fallen under the Empire's domination. It's still holding out against the Emperor.