main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hey mister, can I have my balls back please?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by George_Roper, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It's good to see that the administration is willing to look back at a decision that they think they have erred on. I just hope that it was truely done so because of the basis of the issue that led to the decision, and not just because of the public outcry against it. It would be good to see the MS work on the sometime lack of looking at the big picture that has popped up every now and then.

Sorry Rhonda, but I have to disagree. Yes, everyone gets frustrated at situations at times and if they are sometimes let out in say a MS discussion, then fine. But here we are in a forum specifically for users to bring problems/issues/concerns to the administration, and sometimes the users will be frustrated at it. The role of the mods here is to be able to handle the problem, and do so while making sure cool heads are kept. This goes even moreso for those that are at the top of the food chain since they are the ones that will have more sway in any of the decision making. As another moderator already pointed out in this very thread, this isn't a format like verbal discussions where you can slip and say something before thinking. You have the time during writing up the post and having to hit the post button to be able to consider what you are saying. When you are the one in a position of responsibility and the person with the absolute authority, you don't get to take out frustrations, you are the one that has to lead via example. There will almost never be any issue on these boards that require such immediate action that you can not take half an hour to walk away and ensure that what you are going to say is what you should be saying. Even when people are clamouring for a response there are many ways in which a situation can be diffused until you are in a position to make a clear, considered and logical response to anything.

It's not always fair, but it's part and parcel of what you accept when you agree to become an administrator.

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    There's two questions: "Yes" and "No"

There is over 40 mods.

Sorry Rhonda, but I have to disagree. Yes, everyone gets frustrated at situations at times and if they are sometimes let out in say a MS discussion, then fine. But here we are in a forum specifically for users to bring problems/issues/concerns to the administration, and sometimes the users will be frustrated at it. The role of the mods here is to be able to handle the problem, and do so while making sure cool heads are kept. This goes even moreso for those that are at the top of the food chain since they are the ones that will have more sway in any of the decision making.

You might disagree, but it happens and I've seen it happen with just about every mod or admin (former and present) that I've seen, including those posting in this thread. I can see old MS threads, and anyone can read through old Comms threads. Yes, it's what we're supposed to do, but we're people and we make mistakes. Just like you are, were and did when you were head admin. I'm not trying to be harsh or disrespectful here, but it'd be hypocritical to say that's never happened on anyone else's watch.

And with that, let's move on.

3. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    One should remember that there is often a distinct difference between the way things should be and the way they are. People are people and are inclined to make mistakes. I've seen many Admirals and commanding officers screw up over the years (jobs that are way more important than any Mod/Admin position) by saying the wrong thing or making the wrong call. The good ones actually recognize the feedback, take it on board, and learn from their mistakes.

If somebody bumps into you, says he's sorry, and you believe him, do you punch him in the face or do you say "no worries"? I don't think anybody needs to get lectured by anybody here.

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    To keep everyone updated, the result of the poll on whether to remove balls/nuts/bollocks from the 'not allowed' list was an overwhelming Yes. I've asked rhonderoo to kindly update the list that resides in the Mod Squad and its twin in the Rules and Announcements Forum. All that's left, which really should not take all that long, is a statement on the context. It won't be anything sophisticated and will help to let the users of the boards know where the line is as best we can. :)

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    An excellent decision by the MS.

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It's about time that some common sense is applied to this place.

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Nice to see this settled. Moving on, how about "ass-kissing". "Ass" is allowed, as is "kissing". Yet combine the two and it's 24 hours in ban-ville.

9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I didn't know that!

//gets out whip.

10. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Word context! CONTEXT!

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i do hope that the overwhelming Yes majority of mods who participated in the MS poll were equally as vocal about their opinion before the poll was finally introduced by Sapient. having a Head Admin who is willing to listen to the opinion of others is wasted if those people themselves don't speak up.

12. GreatTarzan

GreatTarzan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I find it sad that this large and successfully run message board can be accused of not having common sense behind it before this one little issue was changed.

13. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Excellent point.

14. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree Tarzan. But there you go.

And epic, mods are always very vocal about our opinion, but this happened in two days time. Not even time for Sape to get on the second time before the thread was filled up with...stuff. That's Comms, though. But always remember that mods have real lives and may not get to weigh in on an issue or see what's going on in a day or two's time, between their forums and other things. TFN certainly would not have burned to the e-ground about the word "balls" in a few days. And in three days, the issue was done. Not bad for turnaround time.

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    edit: argh! way too much wasted typing.

not really baiting either, though. still not directed at anyone in particular.

16. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Heh, you have to watch that edit button. :) Or are you referring to the actual topic?

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    oh, just tunick's post.

18. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Super duper. Thanks. :)

We should have something out here on context within a day or two. Again, mostly waiting on input. We don't just run out here and put stuff out without getting as much input from the 40 or so mods and some Fan Force mods as is feasible. So when we feel that we're on the same page, Sape or I will let you guys know. This will be a relatively easy context to follow as most people know when they are being inappropriate with any word that isn't on the list. It's just a matter of common sense and I think everyone's pretty smart.

19. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    fair enough... guess the lesson learnt here is that it's always good for leadership to listen to others before throwing out their own opinion as gold. i think this has already been established, though.

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    We've moved on, remember? :)

21. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    second base?

22. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    No way, home run. :p

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

What did I miss? :p

For the record, my latest post in this thread (before this one, obviously) is in reference to the fact that despite the decision to remove balls from the no-no list, that this place is still a PG board, whereas the the majority of the posters (I believe, I could be wrong)would dictate/wouldn't mind a PG-13 board. Having balls still allowed is like having a smidgen of a PG-13 board.

24. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Except that the owner wants this to be a "family friendly" board. We don't go by MIAA ratings.

And if we did:

According to the filmrating system at Filmrating:

G
    General Audience. All ages admitted. This signifies that the film rated contains nothing most parents will consider offensive for even their youngest children to see or hear. Nudity, sex scenes, and scenes of drug use are absent; violence is minimal; snippets of dialogue may go beyond polite conversation but do not go beyond common everyday expressions.

PG
    Parental Guidance Suggested. Some material may not be suitable for children. This signifies that the film rated may contain some material parents might not like to expose to their young children - material that will clearly need to be examined or inquired about before children are allowed to attend the film. Explicit sex scenes and scenes of drug use are absent; nudity, if present, is seen only briefly, horror and violence do not exceed moderate levels.

PG - 13
    Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. This signifies that the film rated may be inappropriate for pre-teens. Parents should be especially careful about letting their younger children attend. Rough or persistent violence is absent; sexually-oriented nudity is generally absent; some scenes of drug use may be seen; one use of the harsher sexually derived words may be heard.

R
    Restricted-Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian (age varies in some locations). This signifies that the rating board has concluded that the film rated contains some adult material. Parents are urged to learn more about the film before taking their children to see it. An R may be assigned due to, among other things, a film's use of language, theme, violence, sex or its portrayal of drug use.

So it'd be a little hard to rate this message board, based on the system above.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I can understand the family friendly goal the owner has, but how many youngins really post on here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.