main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hey mister, can I have my balls back please?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by George_Roper, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    This is NOT an "R" board unless you mean something totally different than R-rated. For the most part, a community I maintain is rated "PG-13" - there are very strict rules for posting anything above that, i.e. they can't be directly posted but only linked, with the links clearly labeled - and nearly half of the threads would simply not fly on the JC.

I was under the impression that the JC was basically PG, with occasional PG-13 conversations allowed (some serious Lit discussions, some threads in the JCC, fanfic sometimes reaching PG-13 violence if limited and treated appropriately etc.) I'm not arguing with the decision - it's not my board, it's not my rules, and I'll follow the rules while here and do my over-the-line posts elsewhere - but saying that we're really R is misleading at best.

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Anyone claiming these are "R-Rated" boards, is sorely mistaken.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    This board is nowhere near R and never will be (thank goodness) however I don't want it the become the UK equivalent of U.

The problem with a community as large as this one is quite often what the individual perceptions are. A lot of this is cultural as well.

Some people will consider some of the more edgier stuff as OK whereas other will be offended by it and on the other hand some people would get highly annoyed by having to deal with overly censored fluff all the time.

Thankfully this board is neither of them. It lets some of the edgier stuff run but it it goes too far they reel the thread in and deal with the posters likewise the mods here take any complaint that comes their way about threads seriously as well.

The posters here don't go in for spammy fluff too much as well although we do get a little every now and again.

This board definately sits in PG land but it does let the 13 years olds in every now and again.

4. GreatTarzan

GreatTarzan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I think Eleventh_Guard was referring to this:
    :)

5. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Very good to hear. There is a lot of leeway in many of the current rules regarding spamming/flaming/baiting/inappropriate material for a lot of things that are fine in small doses but not in constant or incorrect usage.

Edit: Grammar

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    We're not going to get too far off topic and into the ratings, but this board is neither G, PG, PG-13, nor R rated. We do not use MIAA movie/TV rating standards. We're not movies or TV. ;) My post there was just showing what is REALLY allowed in those ratings that people keep trying to pigeon hole us in and that in the system people are referring to, over ONE use of a "harsher sexually derived word" is gone beyond "PG-13". Kind of hard to do to measure that with a message board. :p

But we don't have to worry about that, because our rating is "family-friendly" and not anything to do with those ratings. :)

Sorry, I got a bit off topic there. Let's carry on.

7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Edit: Psst. One of those words is still on the Profanity List. I know it was a bird, but I'm not sure if it's on-topic and productive to the conversation. ;)

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This is making me squirm. Roo, it's MPAA. :p

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Sorry. That's what I meant. Yeah. [face_mischief]

10. Elana

Elana Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    On a related note - I noticed recently when I was trying to describe a male bird in a fanfiction story, that the word "c*ck" is automatically starred out by the software. I replaced it with "rooster," but that wasn't the word that conveyed exactly the sense I wanted. It's very annoying not to be able to write a sentence like:

Anakin told Padme, "I love it when you c*ck your head at that angle."

or

"Don't forget to c*ck your pistol"

or

The young ledge pigeon c*ck strutted and cooed.

without it looking like you're saying something dirty.

I have no problem with it being forbidden in the slang-body-part sense, but since there are other words on the list which have both acceptable and non-acceptable uses (bitch, bastard), would it be possible to move this word to that category, and modify the software accordingly?

11. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    You make a very good point as the word peacock has been able to be used and it is just saying a male pea fowl but because it is one word it makes it through the filter.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes, and I see that the word 'bitches' has been edited in JCC, even though used in context of the album Bitches Brew, generally considered one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

Has the decision regarding profanity in the titles of artworks been rescinded, because I thought that was about the most sensible rule the MS made while I was in there . . .

I fail to see how we're supposed to intelligently discuss one of the most controversial, challenging and intriguing albums of all time if we're having to censor our words like fourth graders. I mean, seriously, if we're discussing Miles Davis, I think we're all intelligent enough to know in what ways profanity is acceptable and in what ways it isn't.

Once again: is the Amal rule still in place or not? Because every time I ask, I'm told it is and then a few weeks later people start editing as though it isn't. So, can we get a ruling on this rule and if it is in place, please let everyone know, thanks. And if it isn't, let's start figuring out why the hell not.

Thanks.

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    The title was put back. It was an honest mistake on Mariah's part, and one that was easily remedied by editing it back in. No big deal. ;)

In fact, I believe it said that in the thread.

It's something we'll clarify to the newer mods in the Profanity thread in MS.

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Was the artwork only removed because it also had the word "bitches" on it, or was there too much skin showing on some of the bodies in the painting?

15. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm not real sure, I never saw the artwork. Unless there was blatant nudity or profanity ("bitches" notwithstanding), I'd say it would be okay. But this isn't something we always come across, so it just bears a reminder.

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    [image=http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00000J7SS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    It was probably because of the word, then. It's fine to be put back in there. I want to stress that I'm not faulting Mariah for editing something that was on the profanity list, just in a context that wasn't clear on the list. It's the MS that needs to clarify the context of artwork, etc. on the profanity list.

18. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I would imagine, that when Mariah initially edited the thread title, that she also edited the picture. She probably didn't have a link to the picture to put back in, after she edited the word back in title.

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Probably. Though it's not particularly hard to find another copy of it to link to...

20. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    A thirteen page debate, on a Star Wars message board, about the word b****. Seriously. I'm sure this event in history will be remembered for centuries to come.

You know, I'm pretty liberal when it comes to board rules. Personally, I think disallowing the word b**** is silly.

However, this is a little less important to me than work, or school, or my music, or anything else, so I think we should all calm down. The mods are doing what they think is right, and they would probably be a much happier bunch if they got a little more appreciation from the members of the board they put so much time into.

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    It's pretty calm. No one has posted here in days. ;)

22. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    The Great Testicle Revolt of 06 has been over for some time now.

EDIT: rhonderoo!

23. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Oh :(

I didn't bother to look at the post dates :p

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Cool out, babe. Thanks. :) I didn't see it in the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.