main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hey Obi-Wan, don't let your personal feelings get in the way

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by VadersOnThatShip, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Oh, so you're not the only one, huh angelicusdiablos? I've observed the same thing. And yes, I do have a right to this opinion.

And Sithrules, just what is it about Obi-Wan that causes all this bashing all the time? What is so bad about the character that you simply can't stand? The same view comes out in thread after thread in your views about Obi-Wan.

Yes, Obi-Wan is not perfect, we get the point. Raw power isn't everything - there are many other important character traits that are just as if not more important. I doubt George wrote Obi-Wan or the Jedi to be criticized constantly all over the place. So why is this always happening in thread after thread? He doesn't criticize them to any extent in any of his interviews or commentaries. I happen to agree with the others who don't understand this constant bashing as pointed out in all the posts above.

2. Jedi_Momma

Jedi_Momma Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    It sounds awful but I always thought the "kindest' thing for Obi would have been if that clone trooper had gotten him on Utapau. Just think - he would never have known what hit him. He would heve died happy - knowing he had just pretty much ended the war by finishing Grievous; his last words w/ Anakin were wonderful, including a long overdue thank you for all Obi had sacrificed for him; he'd never have seen all the death, destruction and betrayal...

To "cross threads" - that's ironic!

3. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Padme falling out of a gunship and Anakin killing countless Jedi are nowhere near on the same scale but in the same instances, doing what had to be done despite each circumstance was similar.

I suppose the trauma of being almost killed himself, his Jedi brethern dying, and Anakin turning would bring Obi-Wan to be torn between his Jedi obligations and his brotherhood to Skywalker. That's normal.

4. NocturnaLeiAyr

NocturnaLeiAyr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    This is an excellent point! Funnily enough, in _Dark Lord_, Sidious is doing much the same thing with Vader...

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think the movie would've been way better if he did let his personal feelings get in the way. Obi-Wan becomes distraught at having seen the recordings of Anakin. Yoda tells him to go to Mustafar to eliminate Darth Vader, but Obi-Wan takes it upon himself to redeem his apprentice. He finds his way to Mustafar, but upon arriving, things go bad with Anakin, and he's forced to fight. Ends up the same way...except that Obi-Wan tries to help out only to get the "I hate you" line in return.

6. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Is this really a topic for discussion?
    I mean comeon..anyone's first gut reaction would be no I can't,
    he's like my brother etc.. No one would WANT to go do what he
    had to do, but he did anyway.
    Mute point anyone!

7. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    Just kiddin'. I just thought Id create a little tension now that Sithrules is gone. Heh Heh.:p

thank you very much [face_peace] ...i had a few things to do

8. VadersOnThatShip

VadersOnThatShip Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2005
    JEDI-QUEEN posted:

Is this really a topic for discussion?
    I mean comeon..anyone's first gut reaction would be no I can't,
    he's like my brother etc.. No one would WANT to go do what he
    had to do, but he did anyway.
    Mute point anyone!

[hr]

Of course no one would want to do what Obi had to do, just as Anakin didn't want to leave Padme when she fell off the ship. The point was, Jedi are not supposed to let personal feeling get in the way. Which Obi-Wan momentarily does. In AOTC, Obi-Wan instructs Anakin not to let personal Feelings get in the way, so why does it take Yoda telling him that he must eliminate Anakin/Vader, to do what must be done.

PS. Jedi are not anyones

9. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    lol omg, streeeeetch :)

No, Jedi are not just "anyone's" but they are capable of
    having feelings which is obvious.
    I think we also have to remember that when Obi-Wan tells Ani
    to let go of his personal feelings Obi has no idea how deep
    those feelings really are now does he?
    To Obi, Ani has been a Padawan, like a son, like a brother,
    comrade etc.. which fostered a very close kinship.
    Obi has no idea how close Ani and Padme are, but he does know
    how close he and Ani are, or thought he knew and his reaction
    is based on that.

Sometimes it amazes me the need to nitpick, but whatever
    floats your boat! :)

10. VadersOnThatShip

VadersOnThatShip Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2005
    Sometimes it amazes me the need to nitpick, but whatever
    floats your boat!

Seems like you're nitpicking.
    Obi has no idea how deep
    those feelings really are now does he?

What's the difference how deep the feelings are, they're still personal feelings. Anakin loved Padme and Obi-Wan loved Anakin. Seems to be the same circumstances to me.

11. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    "they're still personal feelings. Anakin loved Padme and Obi-Wan loved Anakin. Seems to be the same circumstances to me."

It is the same to the viewer, not to Obi-Wan who had no idea
    how close Padme and Ani had become. From Obi's perspective
    Ani and Padme hadn't even seen each other in 10 yrs when EPII
    started and they were friends, but he had no idea how their
    relationship progressed so intensely and so quickly.
    We see Obi grieve over QGJ's dead body so we know he is capable
    of feelings so why is it such a shock that he didn't want to go
    kill someone he had come to love like a brother?
    Why pick at it like he did something wrong or like he's some
    huge hypocrit.
    What else was he supposed to teach Anakin? Act on your feelings
    and be an emotional decision maker? Oh wait, Ani did that on
    his own anyway ;)

12. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Hmmm. I don't think Obi-Wan seems touched at all in ANH. And I don't remember him talking to voices in thin air. He seems rather at peace with himself to me. Owen and others probably thought he was crazy wizard because he could do things they couldn't and he was buddies with the Jawas.

Perhaps Obi-Wan wished the same thing you suggest,Jed_Momma, when he first saw the recording of Anakin. From what I see in the films, he has far too much emotional and psychological strength to continue wishing he had died for twenty years after that. He seemed quite at peace (he was smiling) when he sacrificed himself to save Luke and Leia on the Deathstar. Obi-Wan went out on his own terms, giving Vader quite the hollow victory though Vader doesn't realise that.

13. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    Excellent post, honour :) =D=
    I loved the way you said how Obi-Wan went out [happily] on
    his own terms. My thoughts exactly.

14. Jedi_Momma

Nov 1, 2005
    Oh, I don't think Obi wished himself dead - not for long, if ever. I just think it would have been a kinder fate for him than the one he received. I know he died a hero and a Jedi's death but what he suffered in between Utapau and that death is almost more than mortal man should be made to bear. Especially one who had always tried to be selfless, honorable, and kind.

Everytime I think of Obi's life after the purge, the phrase, "A fate worse than death" comes to mind...

15. honour

Jul 13, 2003
    I see your point.:) I would not wish the depth of betrayal and loss that he experienced on anyone...not even Vader in my most uncharitable moments.:D

Love your sig, by the way. A sentiment shared by the Force with respect to Anakin, I think.;)

16. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    "Everytime I think of Obi's life after the purge, the phrase, "A fate worse than death" comes to mind..."

I see you point, J_M, but I prefer to see it from a glass is
    half full perspective. Maybe Obi-Wan felt it was an important
    task to watch over the son of Anakin/Padme and more so someone
    who may someday learn the ways of the Jedi and overcome the
    Sith. Maybe he felt some sense of purpose and honour in doing so.
    :)

17. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    I believe it was worth it.

[image=http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1219/60320040ao.jpg]

18. Jedi_Momma

Nov 1, 2005
    I agree about not wishing Obi's life on anyone, though - hmmm - Palps maybe?:D

I like my sig as an explanation of how I can be both a scientist and a "believer" which many see as an impossible conflict ("There is no conflict!")

I never thought of it in the context of Ani and the Force... interesting.[face_idea]

And yes, to both JQ and Dez - he was definitely a big enough man to have found some peace in his role and yes, it was worth it for the GFFA in the end but worth it for him? He'd say - yes. I say...I'm not so sure.

19. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    It's one of those times where we see that sometimes human nature overrides the Code. Obi-Wan was indeed too attached to Anakin, and it makes their falling out that much more tragic.

Too attached to Anakin oh really cause by the looks of it he was trying to take him out. Also the tragedy is Anakin was willing to sell everybody including his wife and friend up the river for power thats the tragedy

20. honour

Jul 13, 2003
    Agreed about wishing the depth of betrayal and loss experienced by Obi-Wan on Palps.

I don't see any inherent conflict between being both a scientist and a "believer" either. If I were the Force, I'd be wondering if/when Anakin was going to get back the sense and reason he'd been endowed with: "Think, boy!"

EDIT: Oops! My response got misplaced in the first attempt at this post.

21. Dezdmona

Jun 9, 2005
    It's one of those times where we see that sometimes human nature overrides the Code. Obi-Wan was indeed too attached to Anakin, and it makes their falling out that much more tragic.

A little more on Obi-Wan's feelings on the matter are found in the ROTS Novelization.

On the Tantive IV, Obi-Wan is clearly in pain sensing the deaths of all the Jedi (and also assuming the literal death of Anakin).

He says: ...we are Jedi, But what if we're the last?"

Yoda tells him: "If the last we are, unchanaged our duty is. ...resist the darkness with every breath, we must.
    ...Especially the darkenss in ourselves, young one. Of the dark side, despair is."

Slowly, very slowly, Obi-Wan Kenobi remembered what it was to be a Jedi.

He leaned back in his chair and covered his face with both hands, inhaling a thin stream of air between his palms; into himself with the air he brought pain and guilt and remorse, and as he exhaled, they trailed away and vanished in the air.

[...] Empty, he found clarity. Scrubbed clean, the Force shone through him.

Obi-Wan let go of his attachments.

22. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    For as much as Obi-Wan drilled into Anakin that he would be expelled for not upholding the Jedi principles because of the interference of personal feelings, when he makes the discovery that it was Anakin who slaughtered at the temple, the very first thing he did was tell Yoda he could not kill Anakin. Personal feelings getting in the way.

23. honour

Jul 13, 2003
    Yep. He has his own attachment to the boy he raised to deal with. Fortunately, he gets past that.

24. Dezdmona

Jun 9, 2005
    Agreed.

OBI-WAN: Send me to kill the Emperor. I will not kill Anakin.

OBI-WAN: He is like my brother ... I cannot do it.

As someone mentioned earlier. Yoda was wise to send Obi-Wan on this mission.

He had to see for himself what Anakin had become.

(And, of course, he did not kill Anakin.)

This attachment definitely gave Obi-Wan much pain.

OBI-WAN: You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you.

Obi-Wan and Yoda did ultimately help Anakin find his way from the Netherword of the Force to become a Force Ghost for Luke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.