main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knox, TN Hey, pretty cool there 'ole Hudgie baby............

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by humperdink, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humperdink

humperdink Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2002

Hey you can read the article that Betsy Pickle did on Fenns Fan Film on TFN's Home page. follow the link for the full details.

Pretty cool there Hudgie baby !!!!!

T K - 114, oops ! i mean

H U M P E R D I N K .

2. Padawan519

Padawan519 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    I saw this earlier. Pretty cool stuff!! One thing that I thought was odd, they didn't mention that Lowell Cunningham wrote MIB. That's pretty big street cred right there :)

3. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Well, as for Lowell, I think Betsy forgets them sometimes, or expects people to remember... when she did the article on Darth Vader's Psychic Hotline and the Atomfilm contest back in April, she pointed Lowell's credits out then....

Fenn

4. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Hey man, it was cool meeting you on Tuesday. I hope you can make it out to our next meeting in November.

5. Padawan519

May 15, 2002
    Hahahaha, something funny about Betsy Pickle. In the News-Sentinel on Wednesday, May 15th, she had a piece blasting AOTC. Of course, it didn't faze me, and I went to the advance showings at Carmike that night. So, my sister and I walk into the theater and sit down. In walks someone that looks vaguely familiar-it's Betsy Pickle!! I though it very ironic, for her to be at an advance screening of a movie she panned. To each his, I should say her, own, I suppose....

6. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Oh yeah I saw her there too and I hadn't seen her review but I knew she would trash it. As I was telling some guys I talked with outside afterwards that all she's into is french subtitled independant romantic comedies, she walks by and she hears it.

She gave me this look like she was so offended, but she didn't say anything back to me because she knew it was pretty much the truth. Ms. Pickle is a very elitest critic and everybody knows it. Oh well, what can you do?

7. Padawan519

May 15, 2002
    Yeah, a friend of mine who works at Carmike said she sees a lot of the movies she reviews there, and that she likes most of 'em, but she writes what she's told to. I'd like to believe that she has integrity, and just has differing opinions on movies, rather than that she's a paid puppet. But who knows.....I don't put much stock in movie reviews anyways.....

8. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    While I usually don't agree with Betsy's reviews, I can pretty much say that your friend at Carmike is blowing smoke out his ass about Betsy being *told* what to write...

I sat near her at the Lucasfilm press screening of AOTC a few weeks before that article appeared, and talked with her afterwards.. she genuinely didn't like the movie... she was quite vehement in her dislike for it immediately afterwards, which came through in her review... as for other reviews, she's gone counter to the "general consensus" many times... again, I don't agree with her reviews a lot, but she does have her opinions, and the Sentinel doesn't get in the way of her writing them....

As for her likes, I've gathered from the interviews she did on me and Lowell that she's a huge fan of the original trilogy... she's an SF geek like the rest of us, and something of a slasher/horror fan... it's not ALL arthouse stuff (which *can* be quite good, BTW)...

Fenn

9. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Seems I recall Betsy liking the OT. In general, she doesn't like most SF films. When I lived in K'town, I usually based my judgement on a film to the OPPOSITE of the position she took! I remember she did absolutely love Star Trek Insurrection, which made me instanly suspicious of that movie's quality. ;)

10. Padawan519

May 15, 2002
    I'm glad to hear that she's just giving her honest opinion, rather than being a hired gun/puppet :) If she really didn't like it, that's cool. There were things about it I didn't like.
    I don't really mind SW detractors, as long as they can give a *real* reason for their objection. Real meaning any objection other than "Star Wars is for dorks!", "Star Wars is commercial fluff", etc. Gimme something original! :)
    Oh, and the objection I REALLY hate: "George Lucas and Star Wars ruined cinema." First off, neither ruined movies-they forever changed the way we look at them. Second, it's a statement dripping in pretention. Third, who the hell ever calls it cinema? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.