main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hey, the Golden Globes are happening

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Jan 11, 2015.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Oh, no -- I totally, totally thought the "Agony (Reprise)" number should be cut; that's just repetition-for-full-circle stuff that can only work in a stage production. I can even get behind cutting the part of The Narrator (and all that implies).

But...
    Not killing Rapunzel narratively entirely changes The Witch and how she's portrayed; as well as The Baker not even getting "No More" -- even with an image of his Dad, who he'd already been speaking to somewhat -- narratively changes his change of heart at the end.

Overall, I still liked it -- it just wasn't as awesome as it could have been.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I get that perspective, especially re: Rapunzel and how that affects the "witches can be right" line... But I also do appreciate the streamlining and focusing on the Baker, Cinderella, LRRH, and Jack a little more. Also, not having a 2.5 hour movie, which is almost always a mistake.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This is epic. Jeffrey Tambor.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I haven't seen it yet obviously, but is Transparent actually a comedy?

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I haven't seen Dear Zachary, but I'd say The Normal Heart isn't quite that. I totally ugly cried and was completely heart broken (I knew it was going to do that, though), but it was more upsetting in the "I can't believe this happened" kind of way. It's an important film and I think everyone should see it, but I think if you aren't a crier normally, you will be moved but you won't be sobbing. (I also sobbed watching The Imitation Game.)

We did have to leave immediately after watching The Normal Heart for me to catch my bus back to Boston and I was slightly afraid people were going to think I had red rimmed eyes and tear tracks because dp4m was beating me or something, but then I realized we were in NYC and no one was paying that much attention. :p

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh, I'm definitely a crier when it comes to movies and shows. I get really involved. I absolutely cried during Imitation Game, in spite of the fact that I knew a lot of specifics of things that would happen because I studied Turing when I was at Bletchley for a Technology in European Society class as well as a WWII class. I mean I knew that whole thing and yet it was still shattering. Great, great film.

Dear Zachary I think just hit me even harder than any other film about a real story because it was a documentary and made by the victim's good friend... Plus some more heartbreaking things you don't see coming.

7. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Glad that Tambor dedicated his award to the trans community and thanked them, but god it's frustrating to see men cast to play women. Kind of a complicated win there.

Really enjoyed Maggie Gyllenhaal's speech.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow, the Affair? Interesting. I have definitely been wanting to see that for the sheer Dominic West factor. But that is a huge surprise.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Eck. Wanted House of Cards to win that one.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Whoa is this really Spacey's first Golden Globe? Huzzah!

House of Cards is good but not the greatest show. Still, it's very very good and Spacey makes it. He deserves any accolade he gets. So great. So so great.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You are totally unbiased on that one... :p

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I reject the notion that Mr. Spacey's work could possibly be any better.

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That class sounds amazing!!
    I've been reading about Turing for the past few years and I think I cried harder because I knew what was coming. I do think I would have cried had I not known, but knowing made it that much more emotional for me.

In movies like The Imitation Game and The Normal Heart, I can't help but think, 'what if', I know it isn't something you should do, but I can't help it. What if Turing had lived, where would we be today? What if people had known he was a hero? What if people had paid attention to AIDS and once they did, would have done something rather than say it was people doing it to themselves, etc. And I think it's those things that really make me cry.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I know. I mean it's an oversimplification to say that Turing won WWII, but not by too much. At least it's fair to say our soldiers in the allied side couldn't have won without him... And that's not to mention the incredible impact he had on the second half of the 20th century due to the fact that he, you know, invented the thing that absolutely everything in our lives revolves around. I luckily got to see Christopher and the Colossus rebuild at Bletchely, and it was wowwing.

Yeah, I was privileged to do basically the best semester ever in college, where we had those two classes plus a class on European Narrative Arts while we went to 14 countries in Europe as well as Israel. And it was important to remember how many of those towns we visited in our WWII class were standing because of Turing.

Now... Linklater! One of the most versatile and underrated directors of our time, and one of my favorites. Well deserved.

mavjade likes this.
  15. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I thought George Clooney gave a great speech. It was funny, it was sincere, it was truthful. I was a bit moved.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I do not at all claim to know George Clooney personally, but I do know people who worked with him on ER who have said all the kindness is genuine. He did things like throwing bday parties for PAs. A truly great guy from everything I have ever heard about him. And a great actor and good director who deserves the accolades.

mavjade likes this.
  17. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    Really glad Linklater won. He's great, and I agree with the word "versatile." There are not very many Linklater films that feel the same as any of the others.

Clooney's speech was very nice. I think some of the humanitarian/white savior stuff in his reel went a bit far (I didn't need a shot of him standing over a dead body.), but I did enjoy the speech.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    So awesome to see Michael Keaton back on top.

dp4m likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Absolutely. He's great. I am dying to see Birdman. My bro worked on promo videos of it forever ago and I am trying to con a coworker out of her screener for that, among other things.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Poehler ruined that Winfrey joke. :p

21. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    I mean, it's definitely worth seeing in theaters. It was great on the big screen, and it couldn't hurt to give it a little box office support. Keaton's win was well deserved.

I really have got to see Selma.

22. Todd the Sock

Todd the Sock rawr ima mod star 1

Dec 13, 2013
    Yeah that was a great speech. Also had no idea his last name was really Douglas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Steve Carrell looks utterly terrifying in this film.

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Michael Keaton used to really creep me out with his severe features, but now that he's gray, he's seems more mellow, or at least his features do. I've always loved him as an actor, but only recently has he not put me on edge. I'm super excited to see Birdman, glad he won!

25. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't think Imitation Game was that good. Cumberbatch was amazing and the acting in general was great, and it was entertaining. But as a movie I don't think it was written very well. It was just...kinda weird.

Glad to see bird man getting the love it deserves!