main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hey, the Golden Globes are happening

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Jan 11, 2015.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Yes, he had to change it because obviously Michael Douglas was taken ;)

Yeah I would like to see a lot of these on the big screen but... Free screeners! :p My coworkers have all seen every movie.

And wow, Redmayne. He's great, though I haven't seen The Theory of Everything. I admit to having a bias because Cumberbatch was already so amazing in Hawking ten years ago. But still, Redmayne is about to make it big with his talents, whom I'm only just discovering as an actor.

2. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    LOL. We were just having a conversation about whether you phrased it that way because you just wanted to talk about having access to screeners. Thanks for clearing it up!

Excellent, deserved win for Boyhood. High risk, high reward.

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Trust me, I'm never trying to brag about anything. Hence why I've never actually told stories about the places I work, even though everyone else seems to think so for some reason. No, I am a loser and don't have access to screeners. I'm just saying I'm trying to con people into giving me theirs. But in LA a loooot of people have screeners. Mostly everyone in SAG even when acting is not their real profession.

Mostly I am just crossing my fingers that someone who's not, y'know, an assistant will have pity on me.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Redmayne did a very respectable Marius in Les Mis, (every time I watch his Empty Chairs at Empty Tables I like it more and more, he really moves me in his version). That's the only thing I've seen him in, but I do think he was terrific and the clips of The Theory of Everything look amazing.

I'm not shocked that Boyhood won best picture, I was hoping for The Imitation Game (though not expecting it to happen) if only for Turing to become more well known.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, I'm biased because I am a huge fan of both Turing and Cumberbatch's incredible skills, so I wanted it to win. However I'm also a huge fan of Linklater and Boyhood is something I've been looking forward to for a while. I just haven't seen it yet because poor.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He's playing a paranoid schizophrenic who ended up murdering a close friend. And worst of all, a Du Pont. *shudder*

heels1785 likes this.
  7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Thanks for the spoilers Even :p

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He was a real guy! The murder happened after the Foxcatcher stuff so I don't even know if it's in the film.

Life is spoilers!

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I came in here to see what people had to say about Margaret Cho and instead got spoiled on the Foxcatcher.

Damn North Korea.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's not exactly a well-known story. It's kind of a purposefully obscure choice of story, actually. And I'm hoping to watch it this week, and had avoided being spoiled or knowing anything about it until now.

So thanks Even :p

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Always happy to help, Rach.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Are you a fan of Curdlesmilk's incredible head too?

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Just remember I have your GoT blu rays held hostage. >-_-<

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    He looks like an alien. Or a cuttlefish (see my post in the relevant thread). But that doesn't change the fact that he's one of the greatest living actors. I mean, Daniel Day Lewis is a giant and a freak as well.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I suppose he's the best actor at playing a poncy knob, but his range is limited by virtue of his ridiculous head and name.

PRENNTACULAR and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Ooooh, I just had a delicious idea. What if he is selected to play the next James Bond?

Ender, you have to go around filming yourself 24/7 from now on, just so that when you get the news, we can see your head explode.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He wouldn't be selected; they make you do a romance scene and a fight scene. Near as I can tell he can do neither well.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It really isn't. If you actually look at his body of work, particularly the stuff he did before he got slightly typecast as the anti-social genius, you'll see that he can play idiots just as well (To the Ends of the Earth). Or smart people who are not at all confident or suave (Parade's End).

And even sometimes people who aren't uber-posh, though admittedly that's not something he's been offered much. But honestly, even his geniuses are remarkably different, and that's pretty impressive since most people just play a 'type' of character over and over instead of the specific details of an individual character.

And most of what makes a great actor over a good one us making the script even better than the filmmakers imagined, finding moments and making your character completely real every second. He genuinely excels at that to a great degree. He does the sort if things someone like Alec Guinness was able to in Star Wars. I don't care if a lot of his fans are annoying, artists keep hiring him and admiring him for good reason.

Edit:

Oh Ender. Seriously he has done those things just fine in various projects. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Having said that, it's irrelevant because the dream Bond is Idris Elba.

mavjade likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    "Just fine" is barely adequate. And Elba shan't be Bond. Shouldn't, and shan't.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes yes, and he can't be blonde either.

Darth Guy, Darth Punk , jp-30 and 2 others like this.
  22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    He'd look like a pint of Guinness

Shaken not.......

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Idris Elba shouldn't be James Bond.

He'll be 50-plus by the time a non-Craig installment will be out!

24. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    But you know what they say... black don't crack.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sigh.