main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Hey, Wait a Minute] What Really IS On Artoo's Mind? (TUQ Spoilers/LOTF Speculation)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wait a moment...

... Alema casually hints that Mara doesn't want Luke to know what's on Artoo's mind ...
    ... The droid-designer appears to be a red-herring (much like Communism) ...
    ... It's clearly something that would be... unseemly... were it to get out...

Of course, all this is supposing that Alema was being truthful about the hidden memories of R2D2, but the best lies are constructed around the partial truths.

Is it possible we've all seen the similarities and never bothered to add 2 and 2 to get 4?

Or, to put another way (McEwok-style), given the twin motif of Star Wars wouldn't it be interesting if Emperor Palpatine assigned twin SISTERS to the assassination of Luke Skywalker?

I mean, what would be the odds that Luke would bed them both...

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Dp4m . . . no! You're saying R2-D2 just like Del Rey formated books instead of the familiar and far more normal Artoo! Don't do this . . . And who invented the "red herring" phrase and when, and why do we sheep use it all across the world and since. This adds legitimacy to my congressor. ;)

Putting in my 2c---or I suppose you fellas call it nickels---if the cues were already out there I'd have already spotted them, don't worry. Here's a thinker 4 you: is it Skywalker who's the Marvel character's target, or perhaps the one who failed to killed him . . .

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    *headsick* :oops:

Can't wait to see where this theory goes :p

4. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Wait, you're suggesting that Luke may have another kid in the universe with Mara's (currently unknown) twin sister? Well, I suppose that COULD be viable... but why wouldn't Mara have spoken up before now? If someone was still alive to kill Luke, she would surely want him to be aware of it...

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, I'm suggesting we already know exactly who Mara's twin sister is...

6. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    *cocks ear. Waits for Genghis's 'NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!'

:p

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  8. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    By the Force....

9. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    dp: the other of which you speak is her twin sister? :p

True; but there's plenty enough room to start the nine-month affinage of a small Brie on the eighth story page of Marvel #61...

- The Imperial Ewok

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Is it a bad thing that everything you are all saying makes sense to me? (Except for the Marvel #61. Never read it.)

11. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    But if Shira is Mara's twin, wouldn't Luke have mistaken Mara for her in HttE?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Only if they were identical; fraternal twins of the same gender is very possible...

13. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    If they were twins, how exactly do you explain them being presented to the Emperor at different times: Mara when she was just a little kid and Lumiya when she was much older by Darth Vader? Why wouldn't Lumiya have been taken at the same time as Mara?

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That presumes the Emperor didn't know everything that was transpiring with Shira and Vader, now doesn't it?

After all, everything WAS proceeding as he had foreseen.

Wouldn't you want one of your most trusted agents to be spying on the one man who is as close to your power as one could be? Plus, he then didn't have to train her himself...

15. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    Only if they were identical; fraternal twins of the same gender is very possible...

Wouldn't it work better if they weren't twins at all, but simply sisters? Shira being the slightly older.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sure, but twins fits the motif... :)

17. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Maybe, maybe not..

Maybe its something so earth shattering that it will destroy lukes soul.. like... Maybe its the Emporer's private sex tapes of him and Mara....

Emporer: And Now My Pretty You will truly become the Emporer's Hand.
    Mara: Yes my Master..

Luke: NooOoOOOOOooOOooOOOo..
    Mara: I can Explain !1.

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I'll bet she can explain...

;)

19. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Rohniss: Maybe its something so earth shattering that it will destroy lukes soul..

[face_whistling] [face_laugh] [face_whistling] [face_laugh] [face_whistling]

Search your feelings, dp4m - you know it to be true!!

But seriously, let's put that to one side; let's not even mention it: I want other suggestions...

So far, what all parties are agreed on is that Mara assassinated Dexar Ies; Beda and Eremay found her looking for the datapad, and she told them to flee...

She later said that Ies had been an accountant, and Palpatine had wanted the datapad to recover embezzled funds totalling 2,000,000,000 credits; Alema said that Ies had been the droid-brain designer who created the Intellex-4... and supplied Luke with two codes which she claimed Gorog had learned from Eremay, who had a memory for that sort of thing...

A few thoughts, in two different directions...

Firstly, the datapad: it's been suggested to me that perhaps Eremay was the datapad, and it's possible that Mara simply failed in part of her mission: the reason she didn't mention anything to Luke was simply the fact that it was personal for her - in a way, she had prevented him from discovering the truth about Padmé...

But alternatively, given that Mara's idea of fun in those days was slicing Imperial computers (ref. CotJ), I'm not convinced that recovering the datapad was actually part of the mission - the reason she was surprised by Beda and Eremay may have been that she had lingered, looking for it for her own use... and the datapad may be right under Farmboy's nose - note that she disappears off chez Skywalker the moment the Falcon's ramp drops on Ossus...

The second question is what's in Artoo's memory: the first code Alema gave Artoo was simply designed to override his security protection, forcing his compliance with her request to show "something that confirms the identity of Master Skywalker's parents"; the second code, however, is specifically designed to produce the "most secured file" in a droid's memory, which gave us a RotS cutscene...

If, and it's still emphatically an "if", there's something in Artoo's memory that Mara doesn't want Farmboy to see, it must be something that Mara at least knows about; I suspect it's something on the deliberately sequestered memory sector - which raises the possibility that it's something Mara hid herself (especially if she has had the Intellex-4 overrides all along)...

Possibilities (not necessarily mutually exclusive): something to do with Mara's relationship with Shira; something to do with Mara's activities as Emperor's Hand (eg, could she have led the team that killed Owen and Beru, and perhaps ran into Artoo as he left the moisture farm); something to do with Tim Zahn's upcoming Mara, Luke/Leia/Han ANH-ESB "bridge" novel, Allegiance...

- The Imperial Ewok

20. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I present to you Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia Organa

21. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    But alternatively, given that Mara's idea of fun in those days was slicing Imperial computers (ref. CoPL)

I'm likely just out of my mind, but I don't remember Mara being in Courtship of Princess Leia at all. Did I miss something?

22. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Pirate: You're right; wrong acronym... [face_frustrated]

CotJ, I meant... :D ;)

- The Imperial Ewok

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

When did Jade slice comps in COPL?

And with Star Wars' penchant for full names, isn't Shira Elan Colla Brie Jade a bit much?

24. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    CotJ, I meant...

Ah. No problem. Everyone makes mistakes. Even...... Dare I say it? :p

Imperial Ewoks [face_shhh]

25. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Pirate: of course. It couldn't be otherwise, and I hope I've never pretended otherwise, either... :)

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.