main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Hey, we don't serve there kind, these driods."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by black_saber, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    There was a hint at the mos elsy bar scene where the Bar tender was talking about the Clone Wars because Lucas did say that Alot of people across the Galaxy do remember the terrible things the droids have done in the Clone Wars. Thats just my Theroy. They are just unaware that the Stormtroopers are serving the same cause.

2. Gurthrim_Lah

Gurthrim_Lah Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2008
    nah, he was a Yuuzhan Vong in disguise as a human.:D

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It could just be a coincidence. Droids can't drink anything like living species can, so why should they be allowed in a cantina, where the mantra is to drink?

4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    No seriously there was a hint that I notced after watching the Prequels.

5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    This could be a comment about battle droids. I always thought that it was because Droids are not customers, they take up space and are likely to start some type of argument. Either someone will try to steal them, or one of the patrons will misinterpret something a droid says and make a mess of the place.

6. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    There was also the bar on the freighter in AOTC that refused to serve R2D2. That was before the Clone Wars broke out, so the idea that OT-era bars refused service to droids because of the stigma of the CW is probably imagined. It's a fun idea, but not borne out by the films.

7. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Correct. The EU has confirmed that Wuher hated droids for this reason.

8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    "Hey, we don't serve there kind, these driods."

Is anyone else bothered by the rampant misspellings in this thread's title? Not to mention which, the line as spoken in the film is "Hey, we don't serve their kind here. Your droids! They'll have to wait outside. We don't want them here."

9. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    Obviously the line was written pre-PT which means that it referred to something other than the battle droids which caused a lot of destruction in the Clone Wars. However, now that part of the story is known, it could indeed be at least part of the reason why droids are not allowed in the cantina.

Originally the reason was presumably just because droids are not paying customers and take up space that could be occupied by organic beings. There's also the point that many people in SW look down on droids and either hate them because they take away jobs or just that they find the whole idea of artificial intelligence offensive or untrustworthy. Droids could also have sinister motives as well, ie they could use their abilities to pick up and record conversations. Since there was a lot of shady characters in the cantina, Wuher wanted to keep everyone happy. There are reasons to exclude droids in order to aid the business and it's not as though anyone's going to complain, least of all the droids themselves. Wuher also says that "we don't serve their kind here" which could imply it's a widely held sentiment among the type of customers he gets, rather than just his personal opinion.

10. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    No, it's clear he says "Droids....we don't serve there kind." Meaning there's no place for droids in the cantina.

11. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Droids would clutter up the place and when you're getting a drink do you really need your droid around? Granted if you had an assassin droid that could be in handy if you had a price on your head or something but if you look at it from the perspective of someone like Wuher why does he need droids in the bar when he can be accomadating customers who will actually give him business.

12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would really think that theory to be an interesting one...the only problem I have that kind of throws the logic off there is in AOTC on the refugee ship R2 is told by the server droid to go away "hey, no droids.. Get out of here." (which I find odd since the server itself WAS a droid.)

I like that idea (of not allowing droids cos of the clone wars) but unfortunately it doesn't hold ground for me due to AOTC.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think it's a combination of factors. Mostly I think it is that the bartender didn't want non-customers (droids who don't drink) taking up space that could be occupied by organic drinking beings. But I also think there is something to the idea that his other customers may be more relaxed when not being around droids that could be spying, recording conversations, etc. And I do think that it could be representative in general of a larger bias against droids held by many in the galaxy at that time, probably mostly due to the Clone Wars.

That scene in AOTC (where the droid in the cafeteria tells R2 to go away) does present some issues with that last theory since it took place before the Clone Wars, but then again it was a droid itself saying it so maybe he had other issues with his own kind or maybe he was just repeating cafeteria policy. That policy could have been in place for the same reason as the first theory above... droids who don't eat taking up space that could be occupied by organic eating beings. And I guess that scene could also have been in AOTC just as a small reference to ANH (for no particular reason).

14. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    His use of the pejorative phrase "their kind" indicates that it's a sort of "racist" bias he has, and not so much having to do with the fact that the droids can't actually drink anything. From what we see in the films, though, most people don't seem to particularly like droids anyway, so I kind of doubt that it has anything to do with the Clone Wars--it's more of a general, ingrained cultural thing.

15. eukaryote

eukaryote Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2008
    That's what I assumed as well. I don't think the line's eluding to the owner hating droids because of what they did in the Clone Wars, but I guess it's possible.

16. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    :p I noticed the misquote right away and didn't even notice the errors in spelling.

We all make mistakes. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.