main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Hi All... newbie here with some real newbie questions.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by PowerDawg, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PowerDawg

PowerDawg Jedi Knight

May 8, 2017
    Hi all... first post here on the JCF!

First of all, let me apologize if I ask something that has been answered before... I've done some searches but either did not find what I was looking for or need some clarification.

For some prospective, I was 13 when the first Star Wars movie came out. It really blew me away at the time. Since then, I have always been a fan, but to be honest, the newer movies I don't feel do the OT justice.

Anyway, the reason I am here is to ask you fine, knowledgeable folks a few questions... I do not own any of the Star War movies on DVD. Frankly, I have been kinda pissed that you cannot purchase what my young eyes saw in 1977... and therefore have never bothered to purchase anything. I think I would like to get some version of the OT now and need some help.

1. What version (year of release) do most of you recommend that would be as true to the original movie as you can get?

2. I was thinking that an original VHS release from 1984 would be my best bet. Yes or No?

3. Would a laserdisc from the same era be better?

4. If the VHS or laserdisc is a good option, what about purchasing either one and having it converted to DVD? Has anyone done this or is it not worth the effort.

Thanks to all for allowing me to beat this dead horse again... I look forward to any and all opinions!

2. PowerDawg

PowerDawg Jedi Knight

May 8, 2017
    Oh and BTW, Hans shot first... that's the way I like it and that's the attitude all the SW movies should have.

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    Hi, PowderDawg! Welcome the the forum! Your best bet for an official release of the original unaltered trilogy would probably be the 2006 DVDs. They come with both the updated versions and bonus discs containing the original unaltered versions. The unaltered versions are nonanamorphic transfers from the 1993 LDs, so the the quality is not up to DVD standards, but they are the best versions officially available. You can find used copies on Amazon and Ebay.

Avnar likes this.
  4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    In this day and age, it's a crime that fans that LOVE the original films as they were, are subjected to having to buy horrible copies - just to get the film the way they first fell in love with it [face_not_talking]

But as you said PowerDawg dead horse and all that...

Encuentro likes this.
  5. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Locking. PowerDawg Before starting a new thread, please look at existing one first. In addition, you can post questions, in the CT Questions Thread HERE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.