main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Hi, I'm new to the area

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by LeiaAsylum, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    Hi everyone, I just moved to the DC area (Alexandria, to be exact) from San Francisco. I was a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic miss.... ooops, sorry, I was a member of the San Francisco Fan Force and I'd love to join up with a local fan group here. It seems like y'all might do costuming, I have 2 - the classic ANH Leia outfit, and a Jedi costume (not modeled after a specific Jedi, it's more a combo of the traditional Jedi costume and my own character). Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone, and I hope to be able to attend a meeting or event soon!
    MTFBWY,
    Anne

2. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Welcome to the neighborhood, Anne!

We do some costume stuff, but it's more on the lighter side (dead SW characters, anyone?), so we hope you have a sense of humor with your costumes.

Either way, we're a fairly fun and welcoming bunch. You should come to our next meeting (TBA)

BTW - Pirate costumes are always welcome. :D

3. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Hey, Senators! Take care of Anne for us! We miss her already! :(

4. Darth_Minx

Darth_Minx Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2003
    Wait, we have meetings?!?

Welcome to the madness. I'm afraid you won't find us a very organized group, but we sure are fun. At least I think we are. Of course, you may find my sense of fun to be somewhat twisted :p

5. Vaders_Kid

Vaders_Kid Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    Just so you know Anne, some of us take the idea of dressing up as our favortie Star Wars characters VERY SERIOUSLY! You won't find any pirate-type outfits hanging around in MY closet! No sir! When it comes to Star Wars costumes, this kid is strictly "Luke Skywalker" all the way!!!

Of course, what I'm wearing UNDERNEATH the costume is another matter...

Welcome aboard by the way!

6. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    This coming from the same guy who wanted me to dress in the following costumes:
    • Slave Liea

• Squid Jedi

• The entire Ewok village

...and then there's the stuff he wanted me to wear to conventions. :p

7. LeiaAsylum

Jul 9, 2003
    Hi everybody, thanks for the welcomes! No worries, I have a sense of humor :) One of my dream costumes is to dress up as a 12" Kenner Leia figure, with hair in big, huge plastic "donuts" and all, but I'm hampered by an inability to sew. If anyone else here has the Leia ceremonial gown from ANH and needs shoes, it looks like silver metallic shoes are making their millionth comeback! I don't have any pirate costumes, unless you count internet piracy ... ha ha! And the *entire* Ewok village?? that's one giant fur coat....!

Thanks JedHead! :) I miss you guys too!

8. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Talk to Wendy (Maleficant). She's a fine seamstress. Just don't let her near the bar. :p

9. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    *Hic*

Did someone say bar!?! :D

10. LeiaAsylum

Jul 9, 2003
    <random thought> this is a good combination: "candy" and "bar"! </random thought>

and just to keep on some semblance of a topic, any idea when the next meeting might be? :)

11. Darth_Twilight

Darth_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2005
    Hi there and welcome!

I'm thinking the next meeting ought to be the weekend of the 11th. I think we're doing a viewing party. And hey, if I get volunteered to bring the Vader cake, then by God I'm calling it a meeting, LOL.

More to come, keep your eyes on the board.

12. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Welcome! We've got some great costumes. The original storm janitor. Evil Mara Jade. Fan Girl. Spoiler Jedi....

Maybe we should come with some sort of disclaimer...

But really, come by a meeting. You know, when we have one.

You're wearing something underneath? I'm soooo disappointed.

I think the meeting should be on the 19th. On account of I'll be in New Jersey for a wedding the weekend before. Don't blame me. I didn't pick the date.

13. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    No chance in hell of me making it on the 19th as I'll be in LA visiting the FIDM exhibit...erm I mean my brother who I haven't seen in 6 years...yeah...

14. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Sarah do not forget your mission, steal the Luminara headpiece!! *cough* *cough*

I mean, please bring me back many pics and as much info as possible on the headpiece... [face_whistling]

or better yet...

Stick me in the suitcase and bring me along. :D

15. PlayzOboe

Apr 8, 2005
    *ponders the chances of being able to steal the Luminara headpiece* uhm yeah probably not if I want to make it back home

*ponders the possibility of taking Wendy in a suitcase* sure come along! That way you can steal it yourself and I finally won't get in trouble for one of your ideas :p

Sarah

16. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    What a coincidence- I'll be in LA visiting the FIDM exhibit that weekend also! I'll be hitting the exhibit on Saturday morning!

17. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    *Mission Impossible music starts*

Lori & Sarah, your mission is to steal, no I mean, "research" both the Luminara headpiece and the EPI Black Travel "Escape from Naboo" gown. Pics and info galore please ladies!! I must, MUST, make these in the future and since I can't go, I would greatly appreciate the help.

And Yoda will thank you as well. ;)

*Music ends*

18. PlayzOboe

Apr 8, 2005
    Oh Lori we should get together and go! I'll actually be in LA for the whole week before Thanksgiving hehe so I do actually spend some time with my brother.

Sarah

19. Darth_Minx

Darth_Minx Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2003
    And another thread is hijacked :p

20. PlayzOboe

Apr 8, 2005
    I have a tendency to do that don't I?? muhahahahahah

21. LeiaAsylum

Jul 9, 2003
    You'll LOVE the FIDM exhibit, esp. if you're into the PT costumes, and specifically Padme's wardrobe. Seeing it was one of the last things I managed to accomplish just before we moved here from CA. I have some photos I can post online somewhere, if there is a place that's already established I can put them there, or else I can create some kind of folder somewhere on the net. One note: the lighting in the exhibit is a little iffy, so take your time and take LOTS of photos of the costumes you're interested in. A lot of my photos are a bit too dark, and/or slightly blurry, and I had a digital camera :(

22. NocturnaLeiAyr

NocturnaLeiAyr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    OK, I'm new here, so I don't know what this acronym stands for; what is the FIDM exhibit? I just got excited about the SW-related exhibit in Boston, which eventually will be in Philadelphia.

-Nocturna LeiAyr (aka Maura)

23. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    That's right, the Boston event will be in Philadelphia in 2007. Since I live in the area, I'll be starting to take reservations soon. ;)

Ok now the FIDM exhibit is a costume exhibit in LA. It goes along with the book Costuming a Galaxy. Type either into your search browser to see pics of tons of Prequel costumes.

24. NocturnaLeiAyr

NocturnaLeiAyr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Ooh, it sounds great! I love the costumes, and have some keen yearnings to get seriously into costuming, but am greatly hampered by an utter lack of sewing ability or interest. That leaves me with the necessity of outsourcing all costumes, and there the lack of _money_ begins to cramp my style a bit. So at present I am utterly costumeless, though I have a yen for an OT Mon Mothma costume. I wish I'd had one made for this Halloween, as all of my children will be in SW costumes tomorrow, and me in my civvies...(Or my clown costume, that being really the only thing I have that fits...used to have more costumes back before the poundage piled on with the kids...)

BTW, off-topic here, but where near Philly do you live? I used to live in Bryn Mawr and Rosemont.

-Maura

25. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    I live closer to KoP. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.