main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Hi there

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Deckiller, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Deckiller

Deckiller Jedi Padawan

Apr 9, 2014
    Hey, I'm Deckiller, and Star Wars means a lot to me. The name comes from some old Star Wars RPing I used to do on AOL back around 2000, when I was 12 or so. Now that I'm 26, I should probably get another username. I used to be part of the one of the big online unofficial fan clubs until about 2006, though I was an arse of a teenager back then. I've grown up, thankfully.

I've been a Star Wars fan since 1997 (don't worry, I saw the original versions of the OT before the woefully inconsistent Special Edition came out). I didn't really follow Star Wars much from 2006-2013 or so. I built a new computer back in February, which led to my subscribing to SWTOR -- and my passion for Star Wars was re-kindled after many years. I tend to convert said passion into verbose forum posts; sorry for the tl;dr.

(Okay, I did read a couple of the NJO stories after I graduated college, but I didn't really get back into SW until recently.)

As a kid who enjoyed being creative, Star Wars was the first truly expansive pre-made universe I was exposed to. Or, at least, it was the first one to stick. Before that, most of my creative endeavors were based on one-shot films like Twister or Apollo 13. LEGO reenactments, sequel ideas, memorizing the films, etc. Star Wars opened me up to this great discipline of working within a confined space with a LOT of stories to tell. Restrictions can really bolster creativity: working within the confines of a continuity feels almost as rewarding as starting something from scratch when the continuity has a lot of room for growth. That's what really drew me into the Expanded Universe, and it's what compelled me to write my own (awful) Star Wars novel at 15.

The "novel" was 96 thousand words of garbage, and most of the concepts I came up with were ultimately put into play by far more talented writers in series such as Fate of the Jedi. I had my own version of the Celestials, called the Zantakans. The plot was as ridiculously convoluted as Xenogears (but without the good characters or dialogue seen in that game, lol). The Midi Chlorians could be manipulated by the sole nexus of the force, Chloria, which went through light/dark side phases every thousand years and purged the galaxy's inhabitants via the midi-chlorians when the living Force became too powerful or something like that (an idea that I thought was original but then I played Mass Effect a couple years later...). I didn't really care much for Jedi/Sith/the Force in general: only from a world-building perspective. I preferred the seedy underbelly - the intrigue, space battles, etc. But that's changed. I'm beginning to embrace the metaphysical and philosophical sides of Star Wars.

I've never published anything in my life, but one of my ambitions is to write a published Star Wars novel/series with an epic scope that adds meaning to the lore. But since I have a ton of ambitions - and I haven't actually WRITTEN anything fictional since that bad novel manuscript as a kid - it'll probably remain a pipe dream.

One of the main reasons I signed up here was because, well, I wanted to talk about the EU as well as my own ideas. The zeitgeist here seems to really dislike post-NJO EU, but I've really enjoyed most of what I've read so far and I want to weigh in on the discussions.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  3. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I just can support NYCitygurls' suggestion. If you want to write FanFiction, then follow the link above. There you can start with a short part of your story. You don't need to have written the whole one before posting. In addition, you can get a mentor/beta-reader, so you get some feedback and improve your work, if necessary. Plus, you'll get some feedback after posting your story.

Doesn't sound that good? :)

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  5. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Welcome! Awesome that you're thinking of writing some fan fiction. I've never done so myself but have certainly twirled some ideas around in my head. NYCitygurl's link is a great starting point. Good luck!