Hi, Visiting Orlando could you give me any advice?

Discussion in 'Orlando, FL' started by Count_Cuckoo, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count_Cuckoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi there fellow SW fans :)

I am visiting Orlando soon and would like some information regarding the best things to see and the best shops to visit for collectables.

I have read the thread regarding The Mummy Returns ride and I thought this would be a good ride, but from what you say - its not all that.

My kids and myself will be going shopping for collectables on Sci Fi stuff and Comics, we have no clue where to go. I have looked on the net and came across a couple of comic shops but was wondering if you could put me in the right direction of what you may think is the best ones?

If I am out of order posting this here, then please delete the thread but I thought the best place to ask would be here. We all love everything Star Wars and you would be probably the best to ask for advice.

Any information or advice given would be helping me and my family out for our visit, so it will be very appreciated and thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out.

Count_Cuckoo :)
  2. chewbacca1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hello! Well, I can't really say much about collectibles, I will let Dale and Campbell talk about those. Yet, for father's day I went to the Lake Buena Vista outlets and there's a shop that sells pretty much every star wars cardboard stand up...its on Apopka Vineland/SR 535 near Disney...dunno the name though, someone might know?
  3. Count_Cuckoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Chewbacca1138.

Orlando is an unknown place to me and coming from the UK all we have around me are stores like Forbidden Planet which sell stuff way over the budget.

I will take a note of the Lake Bueno Vista Outlets on Apopka Vineland/SR 535, anything to do with Star Wars and related will be like finding gold dust to me and the kids. Its a pity that I read on here that the Star Wars/Indy stuff at MGM will be closed which is a bit of a downfall in my planning as we wanted to visit there. Oh Well, we cant have everything.

Anyway, thanks for helping. :)

We are expecting an out of this world time there and hopefully we will get it.

I also dont want to take up your forum with this thread, its only that I wanted to have some info on the place and what attractions are best.

As I said, thanks Chewbacca1138. It is very much appreciated and helps us out. :)
  4. Pikaroth Force Ghost

star 3
    Well, I'm sure you know this already, but let me throw in: Walt Disney World. First, you need to go there just because it is what it is, and you need to fork over your hard earned money to them. Second, though, Disney MGM Studios has Star Tours, and upon exiting the ride (or you can enter it without riding) is Tatooine Traders, filled with all sorts of Star Wars items.

Wait, I do believe Star Tours is closed now for refurbishing... can anyone confirm that?

A good store you may wish to try out is Sci-Fi City in Orlando. The address is:

6006 East Colonial Dr.
    Orlando, FL 32822

Their website is located here: www.sci-fi-city.com

To be honest, I have not been out there in over a year. In fact, the last time I went was with Stefanie (that would be Chewbacca1138.)

If you wish to travel into the "suburbs" of Orlando, you may wish to head to Longwood. There is a store there called Acme Superstore. That is where I have my comic book subscription, and while it is not nearly as large as Sci-Fi City, it *is* big, and it does have a good sized collection of Star Wars items. Some are overpriced, but remember you can kind of haggle with them; I've been able to talk them down as much as $15 sometimes on certain items. The address for that is:

905 East State Road 434
    Longwood, FL 32750

Their website is: www.acme-superstore.com/index.html

Stefanie had a good idea about those stores. I cannot say one way or another about them. I have, literally, not been to them since I first moved to Florida, almost ten years ago now. But she says they have the cardboard standups, and if that's the case, I'm sure you can get a good deal on them and anything else you can find.

That's all I can come up with for now. I'm off to bed! If I think of anything else, I'll post it here.

Brandon
  5. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Heck, I'm even glad to have the Acme website address, Brandon. It's been a long time since I've visited and had no idea you were a regular there.

No worries about our time, Count. If we didn't want to respond we wouldn't. All you've done is politely asked a question. Feel free to do that anytime. Hopefully one or more of us can be of help. Looks like Stefanie and Brandon have already started the ball rolling so...

Do you know where you're staying? Give us a general area and we can try to give some of the haunts we'd hit. If you don't have access to the normal US retail stores elsewhere on your trip, I'd suggest stopping in at least one Wal-mart, a Target, a KB Toys, and possibly a K-Mart. These, in that order, are the best bastions of new toys, especially for the least expensive options. In the more tourist-y areas of town, don't be surprised if you run into a few of your fellow britons toyhunting.

The cardboard stand ups are appearing all over again in response to the DVD release of the original trilogy in September. They can be found at many mall videostores for around $30 each. Given the space limitations of travel, I don't think these will be high on your list of aquisition, though.

Enjoy your vacation. The pound is doing all right compared to the dollar, I assume, so you might score some real bargains over here. -Campbell
  6. Commander_Andersen Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hello! Well, I can't really say much about collectibles, I will let Dale and Campbell talk about those. Yet, for father's day I went to the Lake Buena Vista outlets and there's a shop that sells pretty much every star wars cardboard stand up...its on Apopka Vineland/SR 535 near Disney...dunno the name though, someone might know?

I went to that shop last October. There is also a KB Toys shop up there.

Doe anyone know any good places to get new star wars figures in the Disney/Orlando area?

Here's what i know:

Tatooine Traders in MGM Studios
    Once Upon A Toy in Downtown Disney
    Toys 'R Us near Florida Mall
    FAO Schwarz at Point Orlando

Anywhere sell them in Belz Factory Outlet?
  7. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    FAO's out of business, and so is the old Sci-Fi World on Visitor's Circle (off International Drive). The latter was not mentioned, but might be found in a phonebook and look like it's worth a stop.

Belz has a KB Toy Liquidators in Mall #2.
  8. Count_Cuckoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Woah

Thanks for your information here Pikaroth, Sabacc and Commander Anderson. I never thought I would get such a good response. :)

I will have to get back to you with the location/area where I am staying in Orlando. I know its central and about an hour either way to all the main theme parks.

I have noted the shops you have been telling me about for getting bargains. Thank you for also telling me that I can haggle with those people at the shop, though they will probably be expecting some cocky Brit to start haggling with them straight off bat if they read this. :)

I have tickets for Disney 5 parks, Seaworld and Universal. I am in 2 minds over Busch Gardens at the moment.

I dont know if anyone can answer me this, but is the Tatooine Store still open if they are just doing refurbishments on The Star Tours itself?

I forgot about the size and convenience of the Cardboard full size cut outs when taking them back, which is a pity. :(

I have to thank you very much for the information which you have sent our way, its so much appreciated and will help us out immensely. :) Very kind in taking the time out to to help me and my family and if you ever got a question about Britain if ever visiting, just ask. :)

As I said, I will get back to you with the area where I am situated. Will have to check my documents and get back to you.

Once again, thank you ever so much. :)
  9. JediScout Jedi Master

star 1
    That store at 535 out there would be the famous Notibles and Notourious. Actually the guy in charge of it moved here from the UK I think.

Another good place is Ace Comics, located right across from the Florida Mall in a small strip mall. Its on OBT Im sure Campbell has the address. I think their website is Acecoimcs.com, but not much there. Need to go to the store. And just about every place that Brandon mentioned is my favorites as well.
  10. Commander_Andersen Jedi Knight

star 1
    FAO Schwartz closed? But it was the biggest toy shop in the world! :eek:
  11. Pikaroth Force Ghost

star 3
    Yes, FAO is gone... though the building is still there with the nifty huge teddy bear guarding it.

Dale also brought up a good spot to check out: Ace Comics. The address is:

8110 South Orange Blossom Trail
    Orlando, FL

Their site does not give their ZIP code, but because it is on Orange Blossom Trail, you MAY wish to carry a firearm with you. =) Seriously though, here is their site:

www.acecomics.com

Check out some of their pictures on the site... tons of Star Wars stuff!

Brandon
  12. Count_Cuckoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks a lot folks for the info and the links, I am off this weekend. :)

So I will tell you if I had a good time and hopefully I will. Also will tell you what I thought was the best out there.

At the moment I am nervous, never flown before too. :)

Thanks people, you have helped me out here and its way more than I expected.

Talk to you when I get back :)
  13. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    It's not surprising that FAO closed. After all, we're an economic people and why would anyone but a tourist go there over a Toys R Us or Wal-mart?

L8r
  14. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to agree. Their stock never turned over, and I can count on one hand the times since e1 that I've had significant finds there. I bought my first shuttle there after being at the top of their waiting list for over a year, but other than a few exclusives, who can afford to pay those prices or wants to pay for parking while on a toy run? -Campbell

Godspeed, Cuckoo.
  15. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    anything at these places is fun:
    - international drive
    - city walk
    - the boardwalk
    - mall at millenia
    - downtown disney, PI, and the West side
  16. Barra_Jedi Force Ghost

star 1
    The area around the Florida Mall on OBT is relatively safe. It's a few miles north of there that yo need to worry about.

You can usually find star wars stuff at any Toys R Us or Wal Mart.
  17. Solo_but_not_alone Jedi Knight

star 1
    My two cents here.

Acme: Lovely shop! My subscrpits for comics are there. The back room has many less frequesntly found colelctables tons and tons of actions figs ever hard to find ones like my beloved FarScape!

Sci-Fi City: Less comics, great LAN party gaming areas, tables for gamning, and all sorts of sci-fi, fantasy gaming and collectable merch. you could want! Run by sci-fi geeks, for sci-fi geeks!

Disney MGM Studios: Hard to find more SW themed stuff that Tat. Traders, admission is high though for only one thing so better to spend the money for a few disney days and enjoy all the parks.

Universal: I own an annual pass...nuff said. Again same as disney on the admission, by the by fL residents..check into the Universal annual pass for $15 a month deal! Good discounts with it!

Colliseum of Comics: 3 Locations 1 in Kissimmee on 192, 1 in the Fashion Square Mall on Colonial Dr/Highway 50, and oneon Orange Blossom Trail (4722 I think)

Comicconnection: less well known store, was small last time I was there 5328 Central Florida Parkway in Orlando

Farpoint Comic Books and Collectables: off of Aloma I think, not real hard to find. Almost a hole in the wall shop but it had good stuff and great prices last tiem I was there.

And that's all from this fan girl.
  18. Count_Cuckoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Woah, you have such a nice place there. :)

I missed most of the shops that you pointed me in the direction of. :(

I seen Star Tours and the shop (Found the prices on the expensive side), loved the Big AT-AT outside and the speeder bike to be pictured upon.

I didnt get around to visiting most of the shops the closest I got to a comic shop was in a Mall. Most of the time was spent visiting the Theme Parks, in which Universal beats Disney hands down.

Didnt get to ride The Mummy which was a shame. The best rides I went on were the following:

The Hulk, The Kraken, Muppet 3D (Absolutely incredible), Tower of Terror and The Universal Horror Makeup show which had some great presenters.

You sure have better rides than us in the UK by far. Theme Parks here should take a good look at you. My other dissapointment was missing Busch Gardens. :(

Hoping to go back there next year, its the greatest place I have visited. This time I hopefully will get to enter the shops more, instead of the overpriced Theme Park shops.

The Factory Outlet was cheap which was a plus, got a few figures and other SW Merchandise from.

So anyway, thanks for the information you gave me and sorry that most of it was not needed for the type of Holiday which we had in the end. The one thing about going to Orlando is you need a holiday after visiting, there is so much to see and do.

You lot are lucky to live there. Great weather and just entertainment around nearly every corner. I found your water very dodgy though.

As I said, thanks for helping me. I will keep a note of the places for next time I visit. If anyone from the UK is reading this and planning a holiday, get your butt out to here - its an incredible place to visit.

If you wish to lock this thread, then by all means do so. I am replying because I said I would after my holiday to tell you what it was like.

:cool: Back to sunny UK for me. :(
  19. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    The water is indeed dodgy. We do a mad water purifier business here.

Glad you had fun, hope you drop by the boards for your next visit, too. -Campbell
  20. Commander_Andersen Jedi Knight

star 1
    well, it's not long until I fly from miserable old England over to sunny Orlando! I will be coming in mid-October.

Does anyone know of places in Orlando where I would be able to purchase either Star Wars Clone Wars Graphic Novels or the Republic series of comics?
  21. jawajames FF Pacific RSA President/Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    another visitor chiming in... i'm going to miami in november... how far is orlando from miami? we are possibly thinking of visiting orlando first then miami (we have a race on November 20th)

22. JediScout Jedi Master

star 1
    3 to 4 hours, depending on how fast you wanna drive. Ive done it in 2 and a half, but I wouldnt recommend that.
  23. jawajames FF Pacific RSA President/Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    sounds like if we were coming to orlando, to stay in orlando for a few days rather than try to 'commute'

anyone consider themself a good local guide for miami?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.