main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Tarsier, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    So this is my first post...not sure what to say. I joined mostly because I was hoping to post some fanfic. Of course, that requires actually getting a whole story finished, which is not likely to happen anytime soon. Anyway, my interest is pretty much exclusively in the time from A New Hope to Survivor's Quest (I think it's called the New Republic Era in the new books). But that time period doesn't seem very popular right now. My favorite characters are Mara, Karrde, and pretty much anyone else created by Zahn. Kyp's pretty cool too.

So I guess I'll be looking for threads that involve characters I recognize, if such threads exist...

2. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Welcome Tarsier. :) There are some fan clubs over in the EUC(Expanded Universe Community) you may be interested in.

About fan fic, you don't have to have a complete story before you post it. Many of us that write fan fic, write a bit then post it, write some more, post that, ect... One of mine and my co-writer's stories has been a work in progress for about two years now. :p

3. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Wow, you've joined almost three years ago and this is your first post? :eek: What happened that you waited that long? :)

No matter what's the reason, it's great to see you posting now.

Welcome to your posting time, Tarsier! :)

You should listen to Gangrenous and if you lurk a bit in FanFic, you'll see how it works. It's even possible to get someone who helps you with your story.

Enjoy your stay and good luck with your story! :D

4. TrulyGhent

TrulyGhent Jedi Master star 4

Jun 29, 2007
    Welcome Tarsier! I love the Zahn character's too (duh <<< :D), he is so good at making them interesting. and right now I'm rereading Heir to the Empire, (which I've already read three times! [facE_silly]) I've listened to the audiobooks Survivor's Quest and Outbound Flight probably five times each [facE_blush] which brings me to a question... What was Thrawn's motivation during the Heir to the Empire trilogy? cause, if he knew abour the alien invaders, was he trying to protect the galaxy? love to hear your opinion, see you around!!! 8-}

5. SUGARBANTJINN

SUGARBANTJINN Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2007
    welcome to the insanity, Tarsier! I'm just now getting to know the fanfic boards myself, but i hope you feel at home here!

6. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    I was going to reply late last night to be the first person to welcome you, but I fell asleep. [face_blush] Anyways, welcome to the madness!

You don't have to finish a story to post it on here, just post it little bits and pieces at a time. That's what I do. :)

7. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Welcome to the JC, Tarsier! I'm the person they didn't tell you about in the nice little brochures in the front lobby. :D

If you need anything or just want to chat, let me know!

Trika

8. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    Trika, there is a brochure about you! it says "wanted" at the top....

9. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Everyone needs a little Trika in his or her life. ;)

10. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    [:D]Tarsier.
    You are not alone.
    And finishing a story before posting is not obligatory here. Of cousre, finishing once you started posting is something readers appreciate.
    Personally, I find it easier to just start posting and let the comments carry me through the rest of the fic.;)

11. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Wow, thanks for the welcome everyone! I'll be sure to check out some of the fanclubs, Darth_Gangrenous, thanks for the suggestion.

So why did I wait so long to post? Well, I signed up originally because I thought it might motivate me with the fanfic, but then didn't get the nerve to actually post anything and then got too busy to work on the fanfic anyway. I didn't post in other threads because at first this site seemed to huge I didn't know where to start. I eventually realized its really not that big, but I'm now rather out of touch. Who is this Cade Skywalker? And Jacen fighting against his parents?--No way! I looked a lot of stuff up on wookiepedia, so I kinda know what's going on, but the NJO and Legacy don't hold much appeal for me, so most conversations go way over my head. Probably a longer explaination that you really wanted...

Maybe I will post what little I have of my stories. But I'm afriad if I ever get them done they will be absurdly long, and I know I'd be pretty irritated as a reader if someone started a story and never finished it. Though I will start wandering around the fanfic boards.

TrulyGhent - Nice name! Ghent's one of my favorite characters too. I think Dankin is my all time favorite, but he never got much play...To answer your question, I'm afraid you may be referencing something from the NJO, which I haven't read. I always figured Thrawn was just making a plain old powerplay. I also must admit I haven't read the Thrawn trilogy in a while, I'm hoping to get time to reread it soon.

Question - is it possible to upload your own avatar?

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Sadly not, all you can do is joining the icon makers. This is their thread and you can find all information there. :)
    Sorry for the shortness, but I'm in a little hurry.

13. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    You are very welcome, Tarsier. You can call me Gangrenous or DG to make it easier if you like. :)

The good thing about fanfic is that you can always go AU if you don't like the way things happened. Chewie doesn't have to die, Jar Jar doesn't have to live, The Empire doesn't have to fall, ect...

14. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Yes, someone please destroy him and send me a link when you do. :p

15. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    fixed

16. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    ^^^ [facE_laugh]

yea, the NJO gets pretty depressing and wierd, but I'm a completionist, so I can't help reading them [face_hypnotized]

:oops: Outbound is pre-ANH sorry, it falls between TPM and AOTC, and it explains all the mysteries in Survivor's Quest. (And it's written by Zahn =D==D==D=)

yea Jacen is fighting his parents, and that's not the worst of it! but I don't want to spoil it for you. [face_mischief]

17. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    Trika, we need to talk about your obsessive need of control. [face_shame_on_you]

18. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    It's called Trika Syndrome. silverfighter diagnosed me earlier today by PM. I just can't help myself. [face_mischief]

19. TrulyGhent

Jun 29, 2007
    it's well named!!!

sounds like you need an anecdote, I mean antedote.

[face_thinking] I didn't know Silver was an authority on such things. maybe she'll explain why I'm listening to the song "bombie samba" 8-}8-}8-}

20. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Trika, you've been a bad girl. Go to your room!

:p

Maybe it's a hidden obsession that you have for Osama or Obama, Ghent. :p

21. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Can I come out and play now? :(

22. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    I have another question - does anyone know where to get old issues of Star Wars Gamer? Or better yet, just the short stories that appeared in Star Wars Gamer? Specifically, I'm interested in "A Credit for Your Thoughts" from issue #2. Thanks!

23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Tough questions! I would suggest to try ebay, but I bet you have thought about this already. So I can just suggest to ask the collectors in Collecting. But I would ask the mods of that board first before posting a thread to make sure it's the right place. I did the same two weeks ago, because I had a weird questions, and I can say that they are very friendly and like to help you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.