main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Hidden meaning in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Apr 28, 2014.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I noticed that too.
    I like the Jedi being alligned with the Republic mirroring the Sith and the Empire. The Jedi have gradually moved closer to direct control of the Republic by ROTS, but the irony is that while Palpatine uses this spin to influence Anakin to turn on Mace, the way the Jedi interact with the Republic is of course still far more passive and subserviant than the Sith, who enforce total control.

Interesting. It sort of goes with the Jedi's hubris at the end of the prequels matching Palpatine's ultimate arrogance and complacency at the end of the next.

I hadn't thought of the medical centre, nice catch.
    There is also the fact that the duel with Dooku in ROTS happens on the Invisible Hand's spire, mirroring the duel in the ROTJ throne room.

Cryogenic and darklordoftech like this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    also the duel in the geonosian spire in aotc.

[​IMG]

rots duel in the invisible hand spire...

[​IMG]

Cryogenic likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    in esb luke also ends up on an inverted spire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TKT and Cryogenic like this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In TPM, Valorum arrives with guards who's faces are visible and have an artistic plume on their helmet and no soldiers. In ROTJ, Palpatine arrives with many soldiers and plumeless guards, with both the soldiers and guards' faces being covered by helmets.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In ROTS, Palpatine says to Vader , "The Sith shall rule the galaxy, and we shall have.. peace." In ESB, Vader says to Luke, "With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy." I feel like Vader's trying to bring about the "peace" that Palpatine promised him all those years ago.

6. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Good observation.

I've found the OT movies each sort of present different aspects of Anakin's turn.
    In ANH, Anakin is dead to Vader, and he is sort of presented as all-bad, cold and calculating.
    In ESB, on discovery of Luke, we see the return of some of the passion that turned Vader, and some of that dark drive leading him to his attempts to turn Luke to further his own control of the galaxy. ANH and ESB also continue his quest for order, like you say, the Rebels being quite misguidingly put in the same category the Seperatists were.
    In ROTJ, while we start out with a Vader that seems completely subserviant to the Emperor (something losing Padme in ROTS ultimately doomed him to, Sidious was all he had left), eventually the conflict in Vader will lead him to see Luke as something other than a tool, just his son who he wants to keep alive unselfishly, and he turns back to save him - the exact opposite of what happened with his friends and family in the prequels.

7. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    The wooden poles the Tuskens have Shmi tied to are assembled in a way that faintly resembles an anarchy symbol. Just noticed this one last night, before Anakin explodes.

Andy Wylde, Cryogenic and Samnz like this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Anakin's character arc is paralleled and, at times, inverted by Boba Fett's (appropriate, given that some accounts hold that the two were originally split from a single character):

-We first meet Anakin when he's almost ten years old, living on a single biome planet with a very dry climate.
    -We first meet Boba when he is ten years old, living on a single biome planet with a very wet climate.

-Anakin has no father. He is the result of a religious miracle.
    -Boba has no mother. He is the result of a scientific miracle.

-Anakin is taken away from his mother by a Jedi.
    -Boba's father is taken away from him by a Jedi.

-Anakin is encased in a suit of armor and a helmet which obscures his face. He becomes a tool of his new "father", Palpatine.
    -Boba encases himself in a suit of armor and a helmet which obscures his face. He essentially becomes his father.

-Anakin is redeemed by his son, and rejects his evil "father" by casting him into a pit. He is inspired by his son to remove his helmet and show his real face.
    -Boba has no offspring and no family to redeem him--except for the legions upon legions of stormtroopers who have the face of his father, but refuse to remove their helmets. Boba never rejects his evil father, and as a result he himself is cast into a pit and killed. His helmet never comes off, and we never see his real face; we must substitute the memory of his father's face instead, just as Boba has done all his life and to his detriment.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In ROTS, the clones sneak up on and wipe out the Jedi. In ROTJ, the Ewoks sneak up on and wipe out a legion of Stormtroopers.

AshiusX and Cryogenic like this.
  10. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    As an excuse to bump this thread...

You also have Clonetroopers sided with Wookies on Kashyyk in ROTS, vs the Ewoks fighting Stormies in ROTJ.
    And one of of my fave ROTS/ROTJ links that seems to get overlooked, during Order66 Clones on Speeder bikes fall back (decelerate) and shoot down a Jedi from behind, where in ROTJ there is the same shot of the speeder-bike's guns as future Jedi Luke and Leia decelerate and shoot down a stormtrooper from behind. What I like about things like this is as an isolated example it can seem kind of meaningless, but when you look it into it and see there are heaps of them it creates a nice sense of balance and poetry. The reworkings of the OT through viewing the movies all together can be quite underrated I think. And that is coming from an anti-SE fan.

Cryogenic and darklordoftech like this.
  11. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Not sure how many people have seen these, but here's some of my favourite connections from the visual links thread I made a while ago...

Anakin's and Luke's choices at the end of each trilogy-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd really like to know if this one is intentional. As Anakin nears death (in fire) he reaches his (right) hand out toward Obi-Wan -
    [​IMG]
    As Luke nears death (in ice) he reaches his (left) hand out toward Obi-Wan's ghost -
    [​IMG]
    Quite trippy the contrast at play here.

Vader states in this ROTJ scene (bottom) "Obi-Wan has taught you well" -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't know what caption to put here, but quite powerful mirror -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amidala and the Emperor both have red royal guards in TPM and ROTJ respectively. They both have a connection to Anakin, and as rulers can be seen as a symbol of their eras; the height of the Republic and the Empire -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anakin and Vader turn on their Masters at the end of each trilogy, the last Sith (ROTS) a catyalyst for Anakin fall, and the last Jedi (ROTJ) a catalyst for Anakin's redemption -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The blurred line between good and evil that blinds Anakin in ROTS -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ROTS/ROTJ -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AshiusX, darskpine10, Gobi-1 and 11 others like this.
  12. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    Fantastic thread! Keep it up!

Jo Lucas and Cryogenic like this.
  13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    So much more to add to this thread. So much ruddy, bloody more.

I'm kinda disgusted with myself for not getting round to it yet.

Anyway, one that I meant to add/correct months ago, when I first realized I'd omitted it...

Like I said in the original post, there are all manner of "threes" in TPM. It's ridiculously pedantic and obsessive -- even neurotic -- to storm in here to merely add one more, but I'm really bummed I forgot about this one...

- Palpatine is one of three candidates for the central podium (Supreme Chancellor) in TPM. The others, according to Captain Panaka, are Bail Antilles of Alderaan and Ainlee Teem of Malastare.

I'm not even sure why I really felt such a desperate need to add that. It barely changes anything. Maybe I feel it exposes the hollowness of this whole motif or something (kinda feels like a rigged election -- no?).

Anyway, there it is. Back to your regularly irregular programming. [face_peace]

HevyDevy likes this.
  14. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Good to hear from you Cryo. Please continue with your analysis when you get a chance.

Cryogenic likes this.
  15. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Revenge of the Sith. I noticed a few neat contrasts between Anakin in relation to Obi-Wan (pre-turn) and Vader in relation to Obi-Wan (post-turn). Interestingly, most of the Anakin ones have blue surroundings, while most of the Vader ones have red.

Facing Dooku together (cloaks taken off in sync with each other):
    [​IMG]
    Facing each other (standing face to face, cloaks taken off one after the other:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Dooku chokes Obi-Wan and throws him, angering Anakin against Dooku:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anakin chokes Obi-Wan, seemingly determined to kill him himself:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parallel sabers against Grievous, signifying working as a team:
    [​IMG]
    Crossed sabers as enemies:
    [​IMG]

"Do you think Obi-Wan might be able to help us?"
    Anakin (solemnly): "We don't need his help. Our baby is a blessing."
    [​IMG]
    "He knows. He wants to help us." This time, Anakin contrastingly finds it amusing:
    [​IMG]

Back to back working together:
    [​IMG]
    Back to back, a wall seperating them (a possible sign of their clash of philosophies), as they cower from the dangerous molten environment that is a direct result of their duel:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Can I just say...?

This last one is really great!

There is a "wall of separation" between Anakin and Obi-Wan -- but only momentarily.

The structure that they're on tilts over and eventually disintegrates, leaving them in a precarious environment, open to their own folly.

If there is one central theme or metaphor in Star Wars, it might be that we're all "in it together".

Nice work, HD.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    I've always found Anakin's arc to be a perfect circle.

TPM - impressionable and easily influenced; acting questionably in attempts to do the right thing, but undoubtedly a good person.
    AOTC - extremely unlikeable show-off who is obsessed with an ultimate goal (becoming the best Jedi ever)
    ROTS - vaguely insane, angry and corrupted, and holds Obi-Wan responsible for everything, confronting him at the film's climax.
    ANH - vaguely insane, angry and corrupted, and holds Obi-Wan responsible for everything, confronting him at the film's climax.
    ESB - extremely unlikeable show-off who is obsessed with an ultimate goal (finding Luke)
    ROTJ - impressionable and easily influenced (by the Emperor and then Luke); acts questionably in attempts to do the right thing, becomes a good person again.

Anyone else agree with this?

18. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Interesting way of looking at it. I have thought myself that his slide in each trilogy is reversed. My spin on it:
    - In TPM he is fully Anakin, an unconflicted servant of the light. / In ANH, he is fully Vader, an unconflicted servant of the dark.
    - In AOTC his passion at the loss of his mother starts his slide to the dark. Anakin will ultimately change from wanting power to save his loved ones to wanting power for powers sake. / In ESB his passion at the return of his son starts his slide to the light. Vader will ultimately change from wanting Luke alive for more power, to wanting Luke alive just out of love.
    - In ROTS, Anakin's quest to save his loved ones leads him to betray his Master (Mace), and join the last Sith alive, his father figure Palpatine. / In ROTJ Anakin's conflict is opposite, he turns on his Master (Palpatine) to save the last jedi alive, his son Luke.

Simplified, but I think it sums it up.

Darth Basin and Cryogenic like this.
  19. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Just thinking more about your circle pattern, a while back I noticed this in aspects besides Anakin/Vader. Some off the top of my head...

TPM/ROTJ:
    - Anakin introduced as good / Anakin returns as good.

- A duel ending with a Sith falling down a hole + Primitives in a ground battle (Gungans / Ewoks) + Destruction of two bad guys' ship in space (TPM destruction deactivates droids on land, helping primitives / ROTJ destruction occurs after primitives help deactivate shield generator on land, helping Rebels)

- Qui-Gon cremated after dying in Obi-Wan's arms, Anakin cremated after dying in Luke's arms.

- Jar Jar thinks with his stomach / Chewie thinks with his stomach.

- Final battle on a lush green setting (Naboo / Endor).

- Anakin is used by the force to save the day (destroying the TF control ship) / Vader lets go and returns as Anakin, saving Luke and destroying the Sith.

AOTC/ESB:

- Late ground battle (desert) / Early ground battle (snow).

- Anakin's passion drives him (losing his mother) / We see Vader still holds some of the passion that turned him (obsessed with the return of a son).

- Anakin loses his arm to dooku / Luke loses his arm to Vader.
    In the next films - Anakin sets himself up to turn by killing Dooku in revenge / Luke renounces the darkside and resists killing Vader.

- The female lead has a romantic storyline, resolved contrastingly in ep3 and ep6 - ultimately ending in tragedy for the PT lead (partially due to jealousy about the third wheel), but with a happy ending for the OT lead (the third wheel is her brother).

- Boba and Jango are tricked by Obi-Wan powering down his ship in the asteroid field / Boba knows Han uses the same trick to escape the Empire.

ROTS/ANH:
    - An evil droid (Grievous) uses an escape pod / Good droids (Artoo and Threepio) use an escape pod.

- Obi-Wan defeats Vader / Vader kills Obi-Wan

- Anakin joins a Sith Master (Sidious) / Luke joins a Jedi Master (Obi-Wan).
    eg, Palpatine: "Your fulfilling your destiny Anakin." / Obi-Wan: "Your destiny lies along a different path from mine."
    eg, Palpatine: "Of course you should, but you're not entirely sure of their intentions." / Obi-Wan: "You must do what you think is right, of course."
    eg, Palpatine: "Become my apprentice. Learn to use the dark side of the force." / Obi-Wan: "Learn about the force, Luke!"
    eg, EDIT: Also, Sidious puts a healing hand on Vader after Obi-Wan dismembers Vader and abandons him / Obi-Wan puts a healing hand on Luke when the tuskens knock him out, the beginning of a second chnace at training a Skywalker.

- Luke looks at a binary sunset (destiny, hope, yearning) / Vader looks at a solar eclipse (darkness smothering light, possibly as a metaphor for what the darkside is doing to Anakin's soul).

- Threepio has the last line in ROTS and the first line in ANH.

20. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Argh my photobucket bandwith has been exceeded. I doubt I can be bothered paying for an account, so the photos will be back up in a week. Same goes for the Ep1/Ep3 thread unfortunately.

Cryogenic likes this.
  21. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm bored, this is some stuff I wrote down on last viewing (I tried watching 1-4-2-5-3-6. Interesting). I don't know which is repeats, I've posted a lot of stuff on different threads since ROTS was released, and I tried to ignore stuff I remember already posting.

TPM/ANH:

- Qui-Gon mind-trick - "Then speed us on our way." "Weesa gonna speed you away." / Obi-Wan Mind-trick - "He can go about his business." "You can go about your business." "Move along." "Move along!"
    Also... looking for passage to Theed/Alderaan home to Queen/Princess?

- Anakin sells his pod when leaving Tatooine (home) for Coruscant (turns out later to be corrupt central). / Luke sells his speeder when leaving Tatooine (home) for Alderaan, which has been replaced by the Deathstar (corrupt central).
    Also, the final locations in the movies are quite green (Naboo/Yavin IV).

- Obi-Wan: "Master, we're short on time!" / Obi-Wan: "Quickly, they're on the move!"

- TPM
    Ki-Adi Mundi: "The Sith have been extinct for a millenia!"
    Mace: "I do not believe the Sith could have returned without us knowing."
    Yoda: "Ah, hard to see the darkside is!"
    ANH
    Tarkin: "The Jedi are extinct. Their fire has gone out of the universe. You my friend are all that is left of their religion.
    Vader: "Obi-Wan is here. The force is with him.

- Qui-Gon tells white lies and influences other characters using the force / Obi-Wan does the same in ANH. eg, Anakin: What are you doing? Qui-Gon: "Checking your blood for infections."

- When Maul uses the binoculars on Tatooine he turns in exactly the same angled arc as Luke on Tatooine in ANH.

- TPM
    The last time Qui-Gon talks to Anakin:
    Anakin: "Hey! Wait for me!"
    Qui-Gon: "No Annie, stay there. Stay right where you are."
    Anakin: "But I..."
    Qui-Gon: "Stay in that cockpit!"
    ANH
    The last time Obi-Wan talks to Luke (besides as a ghost):
    Luke: "I want to go with you."
    Obi-Wan: "Be patient, Luke. Stay and watch over the droids."
    Luke: "But he can..."
    Obi-Wan: "They must be delivered safely or other star systems will suffer the same fate as Alderaan. Your destiny lies along a different path than mine. The Force will be with you... always!"

AOTC/ESB:

- Obi-Wan (to Anakin): "You've made a commitment to the Jedi Order, a commitment not easily broken." / Yoda (to Luke): "If you leave now, help them you could... but you will destroy everything for which they have fought and suffered."

- Threepio: "I am programmed to understand humans!" / Threepio: "Sometimes I just don't understand human behaviour!"

- Anakin: "I try, Master." / Yoda: "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Misc. AOTC:

- Anakin: "... As powerful as Master Windu, and as wise as Master Yoda." / Palpatine:"I see you becoming greatest of all Jedi, Anakin. Even more powerful than Master Yoda." / Dooku: "I've become more powerful than any Jedi... even you." / Palpatine: "Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us!"
    Just thought that was neat.

- Anakin and Padme connection/symbiosis? Padme and Anakin are both incapacitated at the same time (Padme falling out of the ship, Anakin hit by Dooku's lightning). In ROTS they sense each other across Coruscant, and Padme can sense Anakin killing theyounglings (her crying during Order66). Finally, when Anakin fades at the end of ROTS, so does Padme's lifeforce. Vader is constructed as Padme gives birth, and Anakin (metaphorically) dies on hearing he killed Padme (a half-truth).

- Geonosis arena vs Tatooine/Sarlaac pit:
    -Attempted execution by beasts (Ep2 arena creatures / Rancor and Sarlaac)
    -Geonosians in the arena cheer when the Acklay kills a Geonosian. / Gammoreans cheer as a fellow Gamorrean is eaten by the Rancor.
    -Obi-Wan looks up at the Acklay in fear / Luke looks up at the Rancor in fear.
    -Mace: "We will not be hostages to be bartered Dooku!" / Han: "You tell that slimy piece of worm-ridden filth he'll get no such pleasure from us. Right?"
    -Dooku reacts to Jango's death / Jabba reacts to Boba's death.

I'm pretty tired, will continue another time.

Iron_lord and Cryogenic like this.
  22. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Continued...

AOTC-
    Padme: "As a member of the Senate, maybe I can find a diplomatic solution to this mess." Anakin: "Don't worry. I've given up trying to argue with you."
    ANH-
    Leia: "I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan!" Vader:"You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor. Take her away!"

-Padme is sentenced to death when she won't join Dooku's Rebellion / Leia is sentenced to death for being a member of the Rebel Alliance. Some role-reversal with which party is in power (Republic/Empire).
    -They both escape execution.
    -They both end up using force rather than diplomacy, both using blasters during their "escape".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AOTC/ANH - Lars Homestead.
    -Anakin sits in the same chair Luke sits in (in ANH). They are both 19.
    -Red beverages are served by Beru / Blue milk is served.
    -After a conversation, Anakin hastily gets up. Owen: "Where are you going?" Anakin: "To find my mother." / After a conversation, Luke hastily gets up. Beru: "Where are you going?" Luke: "Looks like I'm going nowhere. I'm gonna go finish cleaning those droids."
    -Luke is stuck with his responsiblities to his foster family. Ironically, their untimely death (possibly ordered by Vader) allows him to start his journey on the path to becoming a Jedi. / Anakin's obligation to the Jedi Order prevents him reaching his mother in time to save her. The loss of Shmi starts him on the path to becoming a Sith.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is some foreshadowing of Order 66 in AOTC.

- In the opening crawl: "Senator Amidala, former Queen of Naboo, is returning to the Capital to vote on the issue of creating an army of the Republic to assist the overwhelmed Jedi." / Dooku (on the droid army) "The Jedi will be overwhelmed. The Republic will agree to any demands."
    - Obi-Wan "Well if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?" / "Clones can think creatively. You'll find they are immensely superior to droids."
    - "They will take any order without question. We modified their genetic structure to make the less independent than the original host."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TPM- Nute Gunray: "It's impossible to locate the ship. It's out of our range." Sidious: "Not for a Sith!"
    AOTC - Padme: "We can't, it's just not possible." Anakin: "Anything is possible Padme, listen to me!"
    ESB - "Luke: "You want the impossible!" .... "I don't believe it!" Yoda: "That is why you fail."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AOTC/ANH - R2 carries a message from Obi-Wan / R2 carries a message to Obi-Wan. (Also additionally in ROTS Obi-Wan receives a message from Bail Organa, then in ANH Leia says in the message to Obi-Wan "Years ago you served my father.")
    Threepio: "He seems to be carrying a message from an Obi-Wan Kenobi. Master Annie, does that name mean anything to you?"
    This line can be quite ironic. Obi-Wan and Anakin both change their name at the end of the prequels (Ben and Darth Vader) (Perhaps "His fate will be the same as ours." can allude to this). Obi-Wan(ANH): "That's a name I haven't heard in a long time." / Vader(ROTJ): "That name no longer has any meaning for me."
    Also, Obi-Wan's name is often stated at important moments (Padme: "Do you think Obi-Wan might be able to help us?"... Sidious: "Every single Jedi, including your friend Obi-Wan Kenobi, is now an enemy of the Republic."... Padme: "What about Obi-Wan?" ... Vader: "He is here. Tarkin: "Obi-Wan Kenobi?" ... Vader: "Obi-Wan has taught you well."

ROTS - Mace: "We have just received word that Obi-Wan has destroyed General Grievous. We are on our way to make sure the Chancellor returns emergency power back to the Senate."
    ANH - Tarkin: "The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has disolved the Council permanently."

The Jedi of course go from the dominant (with the Republic) to the underdogs (with the Rebels), but also, both scenes involve Palpatine consolidating more power.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TPM - Anakin: "No one can kill a Jedi!" Qui-Gon: "I wish that were so." / ROTS - Anakin (darkly): "I don't know. Many Jedi have been killed." (another inversion between the "Anakins" of TPM and ROTS) / ANH- Obi-Wan (about himself): "Oh. he's not dead. Not yet." ...Vader: "You should not have come back!" ... "This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Kenobi, it will soon see the end of the Rebellion."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AOTC - Nute Gunray: "And what about the Senator from Naboo. Is she dead yet? I'm not signing your treaty until I have her head on my desk." Dooku: "I am a man of my word, Viceroy."
    Anakin sort of systematically destroys all threats to Padme's life. He kills Dooku early in ROTS. As Vader he kills the Seperatist leaders, personally leaving Nute Gunray until last.
    Ironically, his turn breaks Padme's heart and contributes to her death..."Where is Padme? Is she safe? Is she alright?" "It seems in your anger, you killed her." (A half-truth) Which leads to his own metaphorical death.
    He will eventually kill Obi-Wan in ANH, seeing him as a traitor to the Empire.
    In ROTJ, the tables turn, and Anakin kills The Emperor because he is attempting to destroy Anakin and Padme's son.

jbyrd1245 likes this.
  23. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Hmm just skimmed the thread and a couple of those were expanded repeats. Sorry about that.

24. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    ROTS
    Obi-Wan (imploring Anakin to go on without him): "Get to the ship! There's nothing more you can do!"
    ANH
    Luke: "I can't believe he's gone."
    Leia: "There's nothing you could have done."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROTS
    Obi-Wan talks to R2 on the commlink, needing help with a vertical controlling (elevator).
    ANH
    Luke talks to 3PO, who is relaying to R2 to help with horizontal controlling (garbage compactor).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contrast between Dooku and Maul...
    TPM
    As soon as the Jedi see Maul, everyone lights their sabers without a word from Maul.
    AOTC
    Dooku tries to avoid fighting;
    Dooku: "As you can see, my Jedi powers are far beyond yours. Now, back down."
    ROTS
    Dooku again tries to make them surrender, although here he has been instructed to fight to help turn Anakin;
    Dooku: "Your swords please gentlemen. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TPM - Shmi: "It is time for you to let go."
    ROTS - Yoda: "Let go of everything you fear to lose."
    ANH - Obi-Wan: "Let go, Luke!"
    ROTJ - Luke: "I feel the conflict within you, let go of your hate!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the TPM script Obi-Wan temporarily breaks his saber on Naboo, In AOTC Anakin breaks his saber on Geonosis.

ROTS
    Grievous hides in the Outer Rim (Utapau).
    Obi-Wan takes Grievous' ship after Order66, after the Jedi have become the Rebels. In ANH he is hiding in the Outer Rim (Tatooine).

Shroud of the darkside:

TPM
    Mace: "I don't believe the Sith could have returned without us knowing."

AOTC
    Dooku: "Hundreds of Senators are now under the influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious."
    Obi-Wan: "I don't believe you."

ROTS
    Obi-Wan: Chancellor Palpatine is the Sith Lord we've been looking for! After the death of Count Dooku Anakin became his new apprentice."
    Padme: "I don't believe you... I can't!"

25. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Don't know if anyone is still interested but a few things I noticed...

TPM
    Sidious (about Padme): "She is more foolish than I thought."
    ROTJ
    Sidious (about Luke): "Young fool... only now at the end do you understand!"

In both instances (despite what Palpatine says) mother and son are victorious.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else see a double meaning here?

Nute: "Chancellor Palpatine managed to escape your grip, General. Without Count Dooku, I have doubts about your ability to keep us safe!"

Chancellor Palpatine later orders them killed, but more directly... without Count Dooku Anakin is now the Sith apprentice, and he kills them rather than protects them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anakin and Palpatine say something similar in TPM...

Anakin: "Mom, you say the biggest problem in this universe is nobody helps each other."

Palpatine: "There is no interest in the common good." ... "Your majesty, I must be frank, there is little hope the Senate will act on the invasion."

Perhaps helps to set up Anakin siding with him later.

In ANH Obi-Wan talks of the pre-Empire era;
    "An elegant weapon, for a more civilised age."

...but in TPM Palpatine truthfully suggests that this was already the case by the time of Ep1;
    "There is no civility, only politics. The Republic is not what it once was..."

Finally, a sign that the golden-era is truely ending, Obi-Wan destroys Grievous with a blaster and remarks
    "So uncivilised."

jbyrd1245 likes this.