main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hiding Evidence, or Thin-Skinned Administrators

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran, Aug 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Froggy

Froggy Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2000
    "Hacking and computer wizardry."

Hardly. I've used the same trick myself several times. That's why there's 3 different I Will Make It Legals. And Son of a Hutt wasn't involved in that, it was yavin44.

PS: Fingolfin obviously has no idea what "spamming" means.

2. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    Tell me more about this wizardry.

What details does a user have to know to mimic another user?

3. Froggy

Aug 17, 2000
    Impersonating Admiral M is easy. Just misspell every third word and never use contractions. Also, try to mention Babylon 5 as much as possible.

4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    You don't need to know details about a person, you just gotta think outside of the box.

5. scum&villainy

Oct 8, 1999
    'you just gotta think outside of the box'

Huh?

Could someone impersonate me using details/info available from, say, ICQ?

Is this impersonation in the JC Forums or on ICQ?

6. Froggy

Aug 17, 2000
    You just use alt+0160 to create an invisible character, so you can make a name that looks exactly the same as someone else's. It doesn't work on Snowboard though.

7. JediMasterAlpha

JediMasterAlpha Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 1999
    EDIT: Never mind...

What I want to know is where the ICQ chat logs came from...

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Anyone could simply make up ICQ chat logs, it doesn't take a genius to do that.

9. scum&villainy

Oct 8, 1999
    Wow, sneaky

10. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    An hour or two ago, I was neutral. Whether you chose to believe it or not back then is solely your problem. But I was neutral, and that is a FACT. This was because I was not sufficiently convinced of the views of either "side" to this argument.

I am no longer neutral.

By the time many of you read this, I may have been demoted. I may have been banned. You may be reading this post off some archive or last-minute save - and I DO suggest people who care about this thread save it at this point - but in any case... over the last hour or two I have been swayed to one of these two "sides".

I made a huge mistake. I made a mistake by even posting here and getting myself involved. Because by stating neutrality, I have been SWARMED with people who have repeatedly accused me of "playing both sides" to appease to people, and not stating my points for the purpose of retaining popularity.

Uh... no.

But that no longer matters, because... as I was pressured to do, I DID end up taking a side in all of this.

This isn't some West Side Story "when you're a Jet you stay a Jet" situation. Not all non-admin members agree with each other, nor are they obligated to. Not all admins agree with each other, nor are they obligated to. Members and admins are NOT TWO SEPARATE CAMPS.

And I'm about to prove that to you all right now.

So maybe the "prosecuting" members posting on this thread have reached to the bounds of total conjecture and speculation with wild conspiracy theories which are false (i.e. DL lying about what happened to epic's thread. He was telling the truth, trust me). I don't care. I've stayed out of this issue so far because I hadn't experienced anything mentioned here firsthand - until now. I have been repeatedly accused of not sticking up for the admins enough, and being selfish and overly concerned with covering my own ass here, making sure the members don't get mad at me. Hello? What part of "NEUTRAL" do you not understand? Because of my refusal to explicitly side with the admins, I have been told that I "don't understand teamwork at all" and that I'm "merely being buddies with both sides of the argument".

I'm sick of some people putting words in my mouth. Now why am I bringing this up in a public forum, risking the deletion of this post if not this thread, as well as my own demotion or banning?

Because I know what I stand for.

Because I know what this board stands for.

This board is here because we want to discuss STAR WARS. I am now speaking to you as a MEMBER, and as someone who remembers what it was like to be a non-admin MEMBER - which was, by the way, only two weeks ago. I came here to discuss Star Wars. I am STILL here to discuss Star Wars. It seems that not all of you are maintaining that focus.

I accepted the role of administrator, and I love that role, not because of power but because I love the forums and like to see them clean and tidy. I delete threads and ban trolls for the same reason I feed my fish or polish the keys on my clarinet. It is a RESPONSIBILITY but one I do because I want to see something nice and clean. A tidy place to discuss Star Wars. And I think I've at least made an effort to attempt to acheive that goal.

But... one post here to let you guys know the admins are reading this... and BAM! Suddenly I am accused of appeasing to both sides... I even have racist remarks made upon me by another admin - ICQ logs available upon request, though I know those can be manipulated easily as stated earlier - and most of all, I've been told that if I'm to be an admin I must defend the "administrator's side" at all times.

I don't believe in a "member's side" and "administrator's side", and I'm not going to be bullied into believing in that black-and-white division.

I know that expressing my opinions here - especially because I'm using quotes from private conversations to back up my statements - is going to get me into a LOT of trouble here. But I chose this side as soon as I was ORDERED - that's right, ORDERED to stop posting on this thread and delete my previous replies (

11. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    :-(

Oh and please be quiet Froggy.

12. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    I must say I have a lot of respect for you IronParrot for taking this position. I'm glad there's people here who actually still have something called integrity.

13. Lord Chewy

Lord Chewy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    I can't say that I know his motivation behind posting that but it was after I had spoken to him about how I disliked how he was not being neutral in his posting here. He threatened to publically post admin emails on the subject. I resigned officially to the admins an hour ago. I realize that me being admin has caused alot of problems because of how many people are intent on finding problems with me. I'm hoping that by stepping down, I will help the anti-admin sentament around here. I've heard from all the admins, minus IronParrot, along with YTAP and FreeBeer and they all agree that I didn't do anything wrong here besides not be "diplomatic". I want to stop all this fighting so I'm stepping down. YTAP is available for adminning so I'm sure he'll keep people straight. :)

14. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    For the first time since I joined this forum I am too livid to make a rational post. Up until now I thought this was a matter of some immature big headed admins. It's obviously a LOT worse than that. I'm going to keep this as short and as calm as I possibly can.

First of all, I applaud you for coming out with this, Iron Parrot. You did the right thing all the way through this. You kept neutral, but you didn't ignore the members like most other admins. So don't think you did anything wrong.

I honestly can't even think straight I am so incredibly pissed about what they did. I try to get coherant enough to post later but right now I just wanted to say kudos to you, IP.

15. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    I hope YTAP's first decision as an admin is to ban Froggy....again.

16. Froggy

Aug 17, 2000
    I'm not joking here. Having kids adminning a forum like this is a bad idea.

17. Jedi Knight Seyrah

Jedi Knight Seyrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 1, 1999
    Iron Parrot, the content of that post is precisely why you should NOT lose your adminship.

"Defend the admins' point of view at all costs"???!

I am too disgusted for words.

18. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    Show me where IronParrot has been immature and then maybe you'd have point. Personally I've never seen it. If anything he's one of the more mature admins here.

19. Lord Chewy

May 14, 1999
    "Defend the admins' point of view at all costs"

No one ever said that to him. I asked him why he was posting in here and he told me that he had no idea about he situation but he wanted to post anyways. I told him that if he has no idea on the situation and he won't stand up for my integrity as an admin based on his experience with me, he shouldn't be posting here at all. He threatened the admins that he would post the PRIVATE admin emails publically because PB openly disagreed with him. I think you should view that quote in both ways. The admins all understand that personal fights stay amongst the admins ONLY. He's broken that rule and he's trying to make himself look better to the members by posting crap against the admins.

The admins are a team. If there is a problem with a fellow admin, you do NOT go and post about it in the forums. That only serves to tell the members that they have your approval to bash them and not respect their authority. If he has a problem with me, he should have taken care of it personally with me. THAT takes balls, maturity and courage. Not posting it in a thread and getting all the members to back you up. He didn't argue it with me because he has nothing to argue.

20. Froggy

Aug 17, 2000
    It's not a matter of maturity. It's a matter of knowing how to deal with other people properly. I don't care what you say, a 15-year old kid can't properly deal with an issue like this.

I guarantee you that if the admins were all adults, threads like this would be non-existent.

21. Surianne

Surianne Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 8, 1999
    I just got my internet back, and I've read through all of this muddle. I'm taking hew's suggestion and leaving. I don't think this place is something I want to be involved with anymore.

I'd post a longer speech with my opinions, but I probably wouldn't be any help to the issue--I'm hardly the ideal member, and I doubt very much that anyone would respect my words here, which is fine with me.

This is not part of a "vendetta" against LC--I disagree with her actions in this case, but I'm not "retaliating" for her actions in my little SailorInTheSeaOfLove incident. I actually thought her handling of THAT was quite hilarious, and bear her no ill will for it.

Anyhow, goodbye, and best of luck to Vertical, IP, Mr. K, and the other admins who (believe it or not!) earned a wee bit of my respect here.

22. Commander Wedge Antilles

Commander Wedge Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 1999
    (to Froggy)..and having people who behave in a manner which would disgrace child and adult SW fan alike is not the best idea either , heh heh;o)

IP, quite a gutsy thing you did there

Lord Chewy, i must say i am very impressed with that action, very sorry that things are so bad you had to do it, but in the end, i hope you can go back to having a great time here, like before the dark times

keep it real

23. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I'm slightly more coherant but I still can't write too long without saying something someone will regret.

This has gone far beyond Lord Chewy now. This is the very basic structure of the administration here. It's the code of silence and the lack of any kind of system of checks and balances. It's the disregard and near contempt for the regular members. It's the fact that an admin who knows something is wrong is told to simply shut up and follow the others without question....

Like I said, I'm too pissed to talk. Maybe tomorrow. Save those logs, IP. I'm sure they're the reason Chewy stepped down and many would be interested to see them.

And Froggy, you're defending an admin who is only 2 years older than Iron Parrot and has acted 5 years younger. Stop trolling and spamming.

24. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    It IS a matter of maturity because maturity dictates how you deal with people. Who are you to draw an age line at where a person suddenly becomes reasonable? For all intensive purposes I could say that a 18 year old admin has no right or maturity to handle this job. Show me instances where IronParrot hasn't dealt with people properly. I can bet I can find even more instances where 18 year old Lord Chewy hasn't dealt with people properly (no offense LC, just trying to make a point here).

25. Lord Chewy

May 14, 1999
    I resigned because I want to stop your manipulation of the members, Padme Bra. Please just drop everything. If you care about the forums as you say you do, you wouldn't hold your grudge about not being made admin. It's one thing to complain when there is a problem and whole other thing to create the problems out of thin air.

If IP actually posts private things at the board, he will not only be demoted but banned from here as well. At least, I'll make sure of that. We don't need another PAUL.

Here's my email so that you can't say that I'm "hiding evidence" by "threatening" IP to not post it. It's MY email therefore *I* can post it.

subject: A resolution
    sent: Sun 8/27/2000 4:36 PM

Seeing as my being made admin has caused alot of trouble, I've decided that it'd be best for everyone if I resigned. I'm not getting total support from the admins, namely IronParrot. and even my JC friends have turned their backs on me when they read other people's heavily opinionated account of what had happened. This has become very stressful for me. I don't have respect when I admin anymore.
    The group in Communications are united by a cause; that I am a horrible admin and that they can make better decisions for the forum. If I let them defeat me by getting the whole forum to support them, they will gain more power against the rest of you. If I resign, I deprive them of their cause and subsequently any power they have over the admins. They will be forced to disband. I believe that will just target the rest of you if I stay and that this is the best way to solve this, pride aside. It has been days and they have not let this issue drop and anyone who claims that this is Not a group, is completely wrong. It is not a bunch of random people voicing concerns but the same group of people coming back and trying to get me demoted. At any rate, it'll calm things down. The members are becoming increasingly hostile and inflammatory towards admins who don't take their side. I'm doing this for the betterment of the forum and for the Majority of members who do not care about such issues but who are being affected when these people contest all my decisions when I try to moderate the forums.

I would like to request that YTAP be made admin and that Padme Bra and epic not be promoted ever. Their behavior is selfish and manipulative. On the contrary, YTAP is very open and reasonable. Thank you.

Juliet Kirkpatrick
    Lord Chewy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.