main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"High Human Culture" -- when/how will it debut?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Nightowl, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    I refer, of course, to that philosophy that includes three of the four things (genocide being the fourth) that defines the Empire: Xenophobia, racism and (to a somewhat lesser extent) sexism. So far in the Clone Wars EU, we've seen no sign that HHC has come into existence or is even on the way. Indeed, the Senate is chock full of aliens and women, and Palpatine still has Mas Amedda, Sly Moore, Dar Wac and Uv Gizen on his staff. While the mostly alien makeup of the Confederacy could make up a partial excuse, Palpy's gonna need a REALLY good reason to (all of a sudden) vilify all who are not white human males. Simply declaring himself Emperor's not gonna cut it, since he then needs about 20 years to dismantle the Senate and all other "remnants of the Old Republic." (Plus he'll then have to explain his 180 to the people of his homeworld, Naboo)

So what's your thoughts on the matter?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, according to a post by Tears on the ancient Empire v.s. Rebellion thread, the Imperial Minister of Propaganda, Pollux Hax, makes the declaration of High Human Culture some time shortly before A New Hope.

Considering the ease at which Wookiee slaves were used at Despayre, I'd suggest that High Human Culture became policy around, say, ten years before ANH.

I corroborate this with information from Mist Encounter, which explains that Palpatine has just recently declared myself Emperor--and one of Parck's officers (who's name escapes me at the moment) exhibited a bias that Parck indicated was institutional. The Outbound Flight (IIRC) was destroyed 15 years before ANH, and Thrawn was in exile for 3-5 years before he was discovered by the crew of the Steadfast. This fits in accordingly with my estimate, and at least provides a suitable range for it.

Of course, the numbers are subject to change based on my shaky memory and other important information that I might have neglected to consider.

*shrugs* That's my 2 credits.

3. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    The public propaganda machiens could say that the aliens were being suppressed "for their own protection against the evils of the galaxy"

While I'm thinking about it, why call them aliens? If they invaded your planet, then they're aliens, but since the galactic population seems to be very upwardly mobile, isn't everyone an alien, human or not?

Calling any non-human an alien is very anti-PC.

4. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    "Humans are the future"

It's happening...slowly, but surely, it's happening... *ominous music* :)

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Why else was there a rebellion? This, too, is a principle reason.

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    It's in the shadows, mostly. Palpatine has something of an inner circle who is planning this very thing. Rogue Planet hinted at all this very nicely.

Oh, and the OBF was destroyed between TPM and AOTC, at approx. 31 BBY. Mist Encounter is set in the *very* early days of the Empire; 19-18 BBY.

TC

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    TC beat me too it. RP has Tarkin mention human superiority and basically that humans should rule all other races. He also mentions that all this will come to pass because of powerful people in the Republic government.

8. tmihah

tmihah Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Also look at the factions fighting in the Clone Wars. Most of the companies that side with the Republic are more human (KDY) or established Empire supporters like SoroSuub. While other, more alien companies, are lining up with the Seperatists. I don't think its an accident that no one on Dooku's council was a human.

9. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Aside from Dooku, you mean?

10. tmihah

tmihah Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Yes, aside from Dooku. Palpatine can claim that the aliens were either a) evil to begin with or b) easily mislead. Since it is easier to convence the rest of the galaxy that the aliens were mislead, it follows that only properly inspired humans (i.e. those that follow Palpatine's vision for a New Order) can direct the future for gulliable aliens everywhere. Aliens obviously cannot be counted on to make the proper choices for themselves.

It was this "benevolent" belief in human superiority "for the betterment of all speices" that Baron Fel fought for the Empire. It was only after he realized that Thrawn was directing the Empire in one of its greatest victories that he began to doubt that conviction.

11. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    It is intresting to look at it from that point of view, especially considering that at the end of AotC it looks as if Palpatine gave Dooku orders to set things up that way. And with that in mind, it does make more sense for what we later learn about the Empire's policies concerning aliens.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Apologies for my erroneous information, then. I withdraw my ideas.

13. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Circa 22-19 b.b.y.
    Palpatine declares himself emperor, bringing about the rise of "High Human Culture": the ideaology that humans are inherently superior to aliens. Many aliens find their rights and freedoms restricted or revoked and face prejudice encouraged by the new order."
    -EG to Alien Species, pg XI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.