main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

High Poly Yoda: Work In Progress

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by blazer003, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blazer003

blazer003 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2004
    GeneralJarJar:

What do you mean by bigger maps? Higher resolution? They are 3000 x 3000 for just the head right now, so I think that should be big enough. Do they look low resolution to you?

2. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    I think he means to make them more evident, as if the wrinkles stood out farther.

I like the model, its pretty insane, but I think the hair is just to long or thick for me, mabe thats just me though :)

3. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    No, resolution is fine. What I meant was that Yoda's skin is rough, sorta bumpy. What you have done, it looks like his skin is smooth with lots of little pocks. See here:

[image=http://usera.imagecave.com/jeneraljarjar/yodacollage2.JPG]

The small detail is fine, just add some larger bumps so his skin doesn't look so smooth :)

4. blazer003

Jun 13, 2004
    Thanks Jedi Jar Jar for that clarification. That was some of the most precise and helpful criticism I've gotten, and I will work on it. Last night I spent some more time on his coloring. There's still work to be done, but I feel like I'm getting a lot closer.

[image=http://img32.echo.cx/img32/1821/15test9fr.jpg]

Also, here is the reference image for this particular shot.

[image=http://img147.echo.cx/img147/7645/testscenereference8tp.jpg]

5. pukeskyporker

pukeskyporker Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    awesome that is,Mmmmm. The force is with you. Post model on scifi 3d when finished, will you?

6. joek1010

joek1010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    "if 2.37 does not come out soon"

2.37 is now out! I'm looking forward to using softbodies, plus new widgets.

Great looking model. I think the bump mapping is pretty good. I was looking at a reference photo though, and the top of his head on your model seems to get really bright (or white). For the puppet in ESB, its looks like the top of the head gets pretty dark, with dark streaks.

Great work! Keep it up.

7. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Wow Yoda has never looked better!!

Your Cg version looks a tad wider than the photo though. Just my 0.02 !

Great job!

Can this model be converted to MAX?

~Rory

8. pukeskyporker

Apr 23, 2005
    The hard thing about using him in a fan film is the dificculty of animating his facial expressions to reflect his personality

9. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    "The hard thing about using him in a fan film is the dificculty of animating his facial expressions to reflect his personality"

That's what makes the difference between real animators and n00bs

10. blazer003

Jun 13, 2004
    Yep. We shall see how I measure up, eh?

11. -OC-

Sep 23, 2004
    I wasn't talking about you when I said n00b, you can't be good everywhere (I suck at animating characters). I was talking about people who will download this mesh (if it become available to public) and then come here to find someone to animate it for them

12. pukeskyporker

Apr 23, 2005
    I suck at animating faces. Doing the body movement is just fine for me

13. Ravenger

Ravenger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 2, 2005
    you think you suck ive never animated before and yet i'm planning on animating an enitre 45 minute cg fan film by myself soon
    who sucks more lol

good job on yoda maybe the point on top of his nead needs to be a tad lower

14. pukeskyporker

Apr 23, 2005
    I think we have a contest here.
    May the worst animator BEGINITH.LOL

15. danielhilsden

danielhilsden Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2005
    Quality Matt, thats one fine lookin' Yoda, I wont say keep it up, cos' your standards are up! Nice one

Dan

16. Macro_Roshuma

Macro_Roshuma Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Man I wish this was being made for MAX and not blender.

17. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    That's why they make conversion tools Macro. :D There's a list of them floating around here somewhere and they're worth looking into if you plan to do a lot of CG work.

Good luck!

18. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Meh, conversion tools. I would give my left arm for a good conversion tool that got all those max models onto .3ds or .lwo or sumthin Canvas can import.

19. Macro_Roshuma

Macro_Roshuma Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    I can convert..

What do you need, howard?

what models?

20. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    HowardFilms posted on 1/12/05 12:34pm
    Meh, conversion tools. I would give my left arm for a good conversion tool that got all those max models onto .3ds or .lwo or sumthin Canvas can import.
    [hr][/blockquote] Wouldn't we all. ;) But no program except for 3D Studio Max can open .max files. (As you most likely know.) However, conversion tools are [i]very[/i] helpful for other things if used properly.

21. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Hah! Found a 30 day trial of 3dsMax7, and now I can open max files and export them to .3ds for Canvas. I never really understood that max was not a model type, but a 3ds max save file. Now I get it. (Of course I am getting the sinking feeling that 500 sweet models are gonna pop up as max only on scifi the day my ttrial ends, but hey, thats life) So I am happy, at least for the moment, checking out Artooroo's model, I will biped it in Canvas, and work on my animation for the teaser. Hopefully I will have it soon.

22. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    BUMP...How's ol Yoda doing?

~Rory

23. -OC-

Sep 23, 2004
    Argh! don't bump threads that are two months old. I thought that was an update, so disapointed

24. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    well usually a bump is a reminder to the author of the model to update us on current events!

~Rory

25. blazer003

Jun 13, 2004
    I'm sorry that you are dissappointed, so am I. I just haven't had the time or energy to work on him in a while. Every now and then I'll open him up and make some changes, but I took on a second job to help put me through school, and time is just a scarce commodity. Not to worry, he will get finished (or as close to finished as I can get him, because he'll NEVER be COMPLETELY finished.) The changes I've made to him since my last update are: new eyes, some slight changes to his face material and shape, and I've been doing a lot of tests trying to find the hair I want. Still no success yet, but I'll keep working. I appreciate your patience and hopefully after I'm done with my second job in a couple weeks, I'll have some time between then and school starting to go to town and make some magic.

[image=http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8611/yoda2hj.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.