high school athletics

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by KnightWriter, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    This will probably sink like a heavy stone, but you never know. What are the good high school sports programs in your area and state? every professional came from somewhere, and i'm sure at least a few people here either went to school with a future pro or came from the same school. beyond that, maybe you participated in those same programs as a player, or cheered for them on the sidelines.

there must be some good stories out there, and also some good info for current high school athletes that could be stars we talk about in just a few years time.
  2. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    My school promotes the big sports (football, boys' backetball) while the other ones (cross country, volleyball, crew, swimming, etc.) get practically no mention. Track and girls' tennis only get mentioned because we have pretty amazing teams.

I'd like to see more of the less-well-known sports, but my state is big into football and basketball.
  3. EMPEROR_WINDU Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm from Canton, Ohio. We've got a couple very good high school football teams year in and year out.

The Canton McKinley Bulldogs have won two Division I state championships and are marching towards the third. They were also voted "National Champions" during one of their state title years. 1998 I believe.

The Canton Central Catholic Crusaders are the other most successful high school football team in the area. They've won two state titles in Division III and regularly beat the other Division I teams in the area (except for McKinley, which is more rare). The state titles came in 1988 and 2000. The latter of which I was a starting defensive end as a freshmen.:)

Notable players to come out of the area include: Alan Paige (Central Catholic grad and eventual ND grad and Minnesota Vikings star, not to mention current Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court), Justin Zwick (Massillon High School graduate and current Ohio State back up quarterback), Mike Doss (McKinley graduate and current safety in the NFL), Josh McDaniels (Former McKinley quarterback and current New England Patriots Offensive Cooridnator), Wayne Fontes (former Detroit Lions head coach), there are a bunch more but I'll leave it at that for now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.