Story [Highlander] Child of the Universe * DDC 2013 * COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Hazel, Jan 4, 2013.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Toulouse, 1st of February of 2013

After my 'death' in Marseille, it took me almost a month to make it to Paris.

The trip itself I did by foot, staying close to the main roads, but not so close that I would draw attention. A young woman traveling alone would be noticed, so before I left the nunnery, I managed to get my hands on a set of boy's clothes and I cut my hair short. Along with the clothes, I took a hooded cape that would hide my albinic complexion. In a time of turmoil you do not want to draw attention for being different - like I said before, folks don't like people who are different.

Because of my caution, or maybe out of pure dumb luck, my trip was uneventful. I had no money so I could not afford shelter of food. Fortunately, if there was one thing I knew well was how to survive on the road; how to find food in the forests and the best places to rest for the night. My errant upbringing always did come in handy.

As I walked through the gates of Paris, I saw the city in a way I had never seen before. It was true that, with the arrival of the spring and of Napoleon to the Italian front, the war had just taken a new and more volatile turn, but I was still shocked at the difference to the city. I had been there just a few months ago and I had not felt it. Perhaps it was because I was just a child then and now I anything but a child.

I paused for a moment, gathering the courage to take the next step into the crowed. It was this crowd that had sprung the revolution and they had done it because they were tired of being bled by the court. But now it was the war itself that bled them. There was discontent and mistrust in the air.

I drew my cape tighter and made my way to Saint Joseph's Church and to Darius.

Darius' church had always had an eerie feel to it, but this time it was even more pronounced. Maybe because it was now the only place I knew that I might call home. For the first time since my family's death I felt at peace.

An alter boy came by and I asked about Father Darius. He said that Darius was out but would return in a few hours so I decided to wait. I found a bench that was not visible from the entrance and I just sat on it.

I don't know how long I stayed there. My mind wandered off as it did every time I had an idle moment. As of late, it lingered on my lost family and all those unanswered questions. I had come to notice, as I traveled to Paris, that my ordeal had changed me physically as well was mentally. I had more energy and could get by longer with less food or water. I walked all day without needing a break, as long as it wasn't at a very fast pace. Also, the strangest things of all, I healed so fast... I noticed this when I tripped on a fallen log and made a deep gash on my leg. It healed completely in less than a minute. That had never happened before the attack.

I was sitting in the dark when Darius arrived. Of all the strange things that had happened to me at that time, his arrival triggered the strangest. I was sitting there and suddenly I felt this inexplicable apprehension, like a new sense had developed and was telling me to watch my back. I got up suddenly and started looking around. That's when I saw Darius. He would later explain to me that this was how it felt to be in the proximity of another immortal; it is how we know each other.
    When I saw it was him I ran and he welcomed me with open arms. This was a person I had known my entire life and I trusted him completely.

I cried in his arms. I cried even more than I had at the funeral pyre. As I cried I heard his whisper 'it's alright child, it's alright' in a way that was not patronizing, but soothing. I knew that I did not have to tell him that I had lost everything because he already knew it.

Eventually, he took me to the back of the church, to the place he called home. He gave me a cup of calming tea and I told him the details of what had happened. When he nodded in understanding I asked him why I had not died. That was when he told me I was now an immortal and that he had always known I had the potential to become an immortal. When I asked him how he knew, he revealed that he was one too.

That first day, he left it at that. He merely led me to a small cottage, just a few yards away from his church. He said that this was still holy ground and that I would be safe here. Then he told me to rest.

That night, I slept soundly for the first time since my 'death'.
  2. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    You capture the historical ambience very vividly. =D= Glad Darius can be a true confidante. Certainly will be nice to have an emotional breather. :)
    Hazel likes this.
  3. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    You write beautifully. It is so descriptive. And English isn't your first language is it? I could never write so perfectly in a second language. I remember taking a Spanish test and writing, "I will to go to the store yesterday." Obviously my instructor didn't know about my time machine at home and marked it wrong.

Great job!
    Hazel likes this.
  4. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Darius is a wonderful friend. I'm goind to see if i can find some pictures or videos of him so you can get ro know him.

Thank you very much! :D English is my second language but sometimes it feels like it's the first. When i was growing up i watched a LOT of TV and most shows were in English with subtitles, so i learned the language from hearing it so much.
  5. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    You learned it from TV...amazing. You know, I spent six summers living with my grandmother who spoke only Spanish. I never picked up a word. Burrito, taco, enchilada ...that's about it for me.
  6. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    I have a very good auditory memory.
  7. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm good at eating Mexican food. ;)
    Last edited by Jedi_Lover, Feb 1, 2013
    NYCitygurl and Hazel like this.
  8. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Poor Claire :( I'm glad she knew where to go and that Darius knew what to do!
  9. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Darius had been preparing for this since he met Claire and made sure she knew she could come to him for everything. Thanks!
  10. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Orleans, 8th of February of 2013

Over the course of the next few months, Darius became my mentor. I followed him while he tended to the poor and famished of Paris and he would school me on the rules and stories of immortality. Because he already knew mine, he started by telling me his story.

Darius was born in the year 50 after the birth of Christ, somewhere east of the Urals and had been found and raised by a tribe of Goth nomads. Among them he thrived and became a great warrior, eventually being chosen to lead his people in battle. It was in one such battle, on his forty-fifth summer that he went through his first death and became immortal.

That did not stop him from continuing to lead his people. I mean, what warrior people wouldn't want a leader that could vanquish death? So he continued as such for the next three-hundred-and-so years. They loved him, they trusted him and they followed him right to Rome, leaving their mark in the downfall of the once great Empire.

But Darius wouldn't stop there; he wanted more, much more. He believed it was his destiny to rune the known world. He would never fulfill that destiny, though.

After leaving Rome, Darius led his men to Gaulle. Following the Roman trail of conquest, he reached Paris. After ordering his men to set camp outside the city's gates, Darius met a holy man, another immortal. This man would change Darius' life forever.

Darius didn't know it at the time but this other immortal, Emrys, was the oldest living being ever to walk the face of the Earth. He was older than every city in the world, older than civilization itself. This man had witnessed the very birth of Mankind.

But, I repeat, Darius did not know any of this at the time, so he challenged the other man to a dual - that is the immortal way and the only way Darius had ever known until then.

Emrys would not fight him, he had never embraced the immortal way to begin with, always choosing the path of peace and he would not give up that path to save his life. But Darius would not be swayed and he took Emrys' head without a second thought, thus ending his walk on Earth.

The quickening that followed burned through Darius' soul in a way no other had ever before. His thousands of years of touching other people's lives branded themselves into Darius' heart, carving out the warlord and leaving only the man.

It was more violent that any other death. Like the phoenix reborn from its own ashes, Darius returned as a new man.

After that, he relinquished his station and disbanded his army. In hopes of atoning for centuries of sins, he stayed in Paris and took the holy man's place in the newly-formed Christian community.

As the centuries passed, Darius traveled a lot, to take solace where it was needed or to further his studies of the human soul and of the art of healing. But the one thing he never did again was to pick up a weapon and strike at another.

This was how he became the man he was when I met him.

It took a full day for Darius to tell me his tale and I know he only told me the short version of it, sparing me the most gruesome details. He hoped that his story would help me find my answers, but as I was just beginning to realize, for every answer I got, a dozen brand new questions would emerge.

~*~*~*~

And this is Darius:

[IMG]

~*~*~*~

Coming up next - what the hell is a quickening? And immortals die?
    Last edited by Hazel, Feb 9, 2013
  11. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Great stuff learning more about Darius. =d= JL's earlier comments about second language [face_laugh] It's thinking much less speaking in a second language that would make my brain hurt these days :p Eager to find out what a quickening is. [face_thinking] Makes you almost wish our SW heroes had the gift of rebirth, one :* in particular [face_dancing] ;)
    Hazel likes this.
  12. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Emrys would not fight. I wonder if that means that as one matures they get less violent and brutal? Mortal men don't live for hundreds of years, but civilizations do. I wonder if the same rule applies? Will my great grandchildren see the end of war? Somehow I really doubt it.

Nice update.
    Hazel likes this.
  13. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @Jade_eyes - As long as we're around, our favorite characters will never die. ;)

@Jedi_Lover - maybe if your great grandchildren live for a thousand years, they will. There's not mych else in Highlander canon about Emrys, except that he was a shaman to his tribe and had his first death after drinking a bad potion, but i get the feeling he was always a man of peace, unlike Darius who started out as a warlord.
  14. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Nice! I really like the story of Emrys.
    Hazel likes this.
  15. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4

I wish I knew more about Emrys. He's one of those characters that are only mentioned and not a real character at all. There's a little bit more on him in this page (http://highlander.wikia.com/wiki/Emrys) but that's it.

A curiosity about the name Emrys, it is one of the names attributed to Merlin.
  16. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Oh! Darius' story is fascinating, and perfectly told through Claire's voice. I kind of squeed when I saw 'Emyrs'. A neat way for the fandom to work Merlin into the mythos. :)
    NYCitygurl and Hazel like this.
  17. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @Mira_Jade - I know what you mean. I'm a HUGE fan of Arturian Legends and Merlin. Love almost all version (all except the movie).
  18. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That's exactly what I was thinking of when I rad it :D
    Hazel likes this.
  19. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, here is the new entry:

Vienna, 15th of February of 2013

I'm back home again. I chose Vienna as my home this time because... well because I’m a musician and Vienna is the city of musicians.

The tour went as always - big turnouts, sold-out theaters, standing ovations... the usual.

At least this time we didn't go to Paris. There was a time I loved Paris above all other cities. For centuries I call it my home but now it feels as empty and cold as a mausoleum...

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I was talking about the questions Darius' story had sprung in me.

So, after Darius finished his story, the first question that popped in my mind was Emrys' death. Darius had told me before that we were immortal and therefore could not die, so which was it? This was an easy one - the only way to kill an immortal is to cut off his or her head or rather, to be more exact, if one severs the connection between the head and the heart.

Nothing else works when killing an immortal. You can shoot him, stab, drown, burn, poison, whatever... he will keep coming back. The only thing you'll accomplish is to slow him down or render him unconscious while the body heals.

Then I asked why Darius would want to kill Emrys in the first place. It didn't seem to me that he was a threat in any way. This is when Darius told me about the Game, the Quickening and the Prize. I could tell this was hard for him to explain because he did not believe in any of it; he had when he was a warlord, but not anymore. But these were the rules and he knew he had to tell me about them.

He started by telling me that the reason he had taken Emrys' head was that he wanted his quickening. The quickening is the power unleashed by an immortal's death. It comprises all of his life, his knowledge and all he has experienced, his very life-force. When an immortal takes another's head, he takes in his power and sometimes his memories. This was why Emrys' quickening made such an impact on Darius. This is what drives immortals to hunt each other. It is the Game.

According to legend (yes, legend; there is nothing factual about this next piece of information) in the end there can be only one. This is to say, we'll kill each other until there's only one left. That One will have all the power and do only God knows what with it.

I think this is a load of crap. There are always new immortals popping up in one place or another so there will never be just one left. This is why I don’t play the Game. I defend myself when I have to, but I don't hunt others to take their quickening. I don't like to take other immortals' quickening. It's extremely painful; it feels like you're being electrocuted by a hundred lightning bolts, and those who have witnessed it say it looks like it too. I have taken heads, but as I state above, only in self-defense.

Darius wouldn't even do that, which was why we argued so damn much. I wish I could take some of those arguments back.
    Jade_eyes likes this.
  20. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    What happens if an immortal has his arm cut off? Does it grow back? Or did the TV show shrewdly avoid any amputations other than the head?

Nice update. I liked Paris also.
  21. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    That's a good question. There were amputations on the TV show and the limbs didn't grow back immediately, but some fans theorized that maybe an injury like that took longer to heal and that tve limb would eventually grow back. But this is a fanfiction theory, canon remains silent about it.
  22. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Very interesting! I like that Claire is powerful enough to defend herself when she needs to. I wonder what effect others' quickenings have had on her?
    Hazel likes this.
  23. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    She has to be or she wouldn't have survived her first encounter. She does cheat a bit though, but you'll know more in a few entries when she writes about it.
  24. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Very, very interesting! :) You are doing a great job showing the Immortal's world to us - although I have to agree with Claire abou the whole Game thing. For all of the power you may gain, it does not sound worth it - at all. :( The last line about Darius was sobering, which makes me wonder where you are heading next . . . [face_thinking]
    Hazel likes this.
  25. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Mira! :) A lot of immortals also agree with Claire, but the problem is most don't. I think you might have guessed where I'm heading but it will be a while before we get there. I'm sticking to canon on this diary so... well... you can look it up if you want.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl