Story [Highlander] Child of the Universe * DDC 2013 * COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Hazel, Jan 4, 2013.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Nat! Don't worry, I'm sure Claire will met Max again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vienna, 12th of April of 2013

I was still in Vienna when, in March of 1815, I got the news that Napoleon had escaped Elba and had returned to France to reclaim his throne. I immediately felt the urge to get as far away as I could, but this time I didn't go. Instead, I decided that I wouldn't allow Napoleon's comings and goings to dictate my life. I was an immortal and I had just started my musical career - if those weren't good enough reasons to not be intimidated, I didn't know what were. It was a good thing too because Napoleon's return was short-lived. After a disastrous campaign in Waterloo, in which around seventy-five thousand men died, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon once and for all. This epic battle took place on the 18th of June of 1815, three days after I returned to Paris.

The first thing I did upon my return was, as usual, to look up Darius. I was looking forward to telling him all about my days in Vienna, the concerts and the connections I had made there, but for the first time, he was not there. I was worried, very worried.

I sought out one of the other priests and asked about my mentor. He told me Darius had gone to the front, to tend to the wounded and offer solace when needed. I was even more worried, but there was nothing I could do, so I waited and hoped and prayed that he would return safely and soon.

He did. Well, not soon, but safely. After I heard the news of Napoleon's defeat, I still had to wait almost a whole month for Darius. Every day I went to his church hoping to find him, and every day I returned to Valincourt Castle alone (yes, I was still staying with Robert and Gina).

When Darius finally returned he wasn't alone. With him was another immortal, a tall and well-built man with dark hair and brown eyes. He introduced himself as Duncan MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. Yes, he stated the entire sentence – ‘I am Duncan MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod, in one breath and with a heavy Scottish accent. I felt the urge to laugh, but restrained myself. I'll admit my first impression of him wasn't the best - I thought he was a bit of a bruit - but I soon realized I was wrong. My judgment was clouded by a tinge of jealousy because he had so quickly gained Darius' confidence. Also, I soon realized Duncan MacLeod was already a good friend of the Valincourts having even attended their wedding a century before which didn't really help me to get over my envy.

But I did. It's hard to not like Duncan MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. He's so honest, forthcoming and honorable. He's also extremely handsome, which helps us girls like him.

Here is a little of MacLeod's story. He was born in 1592 in the Highlands of Scotland and was adopted by the chieftain of the Clan MacLeod. In his clan, he was brought up to be a warrior (like Darius, amazing how many immortals' stories are similar) and to succeed his father in leading the clan. He never made it, though. In a dispute with a neighbouring clan, MacLeod suffered his first death. When he regained consciousness in his father's home, he found the entire clan mourning him. They were astounded by his reawakening and did not take it well. Believing this to be a case of sorcery, Duncan's family expelled him from their land. I can only imagine who awful it must have been for him to go through that.

Anyway, a few years later, he was living not very far from his clan's land when he met another one of us, one he had heard of in legend. It was another clans-mate, Connor MacLeod (two immortals in one clan; the Highlands are apparently a good place to sprout immortals). The rest is the usual - Connor taught Duncan the ways of immortality and then Duncan set out into the world, which led him to fight in many battles, travel to many foreign lands and so on and so on...

So, again I made a new friend.

MacLeod stayed with Darius and the rest of us for a few months still, but eventually, he needed to move on. Another immortal who wanted to see America. I gave him a few pointers and he was on his way. When I saw him leave, I thought of Max and wondered what he was up to. I hoped he was all right.

This is part of the immortal curse - no matter what you do, where you are or what you want, there is always a part of you that wants to be somewhere else and with someone else. You are never content. Maybe if I could keep everyone I love in one place, so that I could keep an eye on them, I wouldn't worry so much.

But that is one thing we can't do, no matter how many centuries we live. Like with the wolves I raised back in my little niche of the world, I have to let my friends go and trust that they can take care of themselves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And this is Duncan MacLeod.

[IMG]
    Last edited by Hazel, Aug 26, 2013
  2. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    I can understand Claire's wish to haveher friends all together and safe [face_thinking] It must be hard though to be restive and not quite contented with where one is. :( But Duncan sounds downright dreamy LOL I can practically hear that Scotish brogue ;)
    Hazel likes this.
  3. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    I never watched the TV show. I did have a crush on Connor MacLoud...until Highlander II came out and he broke my heart. :_| How could he agree to such a horrible script.?! You should have written Highlander II. I am sure it would have been a BILLION times better. :D

Nice update.
    Hazel likes this.
  4. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @Jade_eyes - Duncan IS dreamy. All the girls fall for him, which is why I didn't pair him up with Claire - waayyyyy too much competition.

@Jedi_Lover - Thank you very much! That is a real compliment.
  5. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, and before I forget again. This diary is taking a week off next week because I'm going on vacation. With all the things I have planned, I don't think I'll have time to write it.
  6. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Another wonderful entry. =D= And I LIKE this Duncan. :p I like him very much - it was nice to see Claire make another friend. :)

And this:

This is part of the immortal curse - no matter what you do, where you are or what you want, there is always a part of you that wants to be somewhere else and with someone else. You are never content. Maybe if I could keep everyone I love in one place, so that I could keep an eye on them, I wouldn't worry so much.

Wonderfully put. It seems to be the whole crux of this diary - and of being an Immortal, period. =D=
    Jade_eyes and Hazel like this.
  7. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks @Mira_Jade ! Hehehe, everybody likes Duncan. ;)
    Jade_eyes likes this.
  8. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Vienna, 26th of April of 2013

Spring has finally arrived to Vienna after a very long and dismal winter, and the orchestra I have been playing for is rehearsing a new piece. But that doesn’t mean anything to me since it is time for me to move on. I have been living this identity for twenty-five years and if I remain in it, people will start to wonder about certain facts. You see, makeup only takes you so far and you have to apply it a certain way every single day it becomes easy to make mistakes, not to mention that when I use it for too long, it gives a very itchy and hard to cover-up rash.

So, I have to go away, to some place no one knows me and start all over again. I usually dye my hair a different color (something very easy to do when one’s hair is almost completely white) and sometimes I put on colored contact lens. This act of disguising my albinism is something I learned a long time ago; when I learned that it is much easier for others to remember you if you sport an exotic look like that and you don’t want to keep being compared to that other albino performer that lived many years ago.

I remember when I learned this. It was in the Christmas of 1860, when I was living my third identity and I agreed to play in Darius’ Christmas Mass. I had changed my name, but I hadn’t thought of changing my looks. In the end of the mass, an old couple came to me and asked if I was related to Claire Giovannelli, an Italian musician whose performance they had attended in their youth. I said that I was her granddaughter and when they asked me about her, I told them that she had died years ago. I tried to remain calm through our brief exchange, but inside I trembled. Fortunately, they didn’t notice. Darius did, though, but that was okay.

After everyone left, Darius took me to his kitchen for tea and we talked about it. I admitted that I hadn’t thought of how easily people would recognize me after so many years and he agreed that he hadn’t thought of it either. There aren’t that many immortals that share my circumstances; at least he had never met one before. When I asked him what did he usually do to hide his former identity since St. Joseph’s had been his home for so many centuries, he told me he didn’t. The monastery there is usually a temporary location for the monks, so they usually don’t linger for more than a few years, and those who do ... well, they probably thought Darius was blessed by God or something. Basically, it was a non-issue for him.

So, I have to decide where I’ll move next and what I’ll look like and what my personal history will be. I think I’ll be a green-eyed redhead this time.
    Jade_eyes likes this.
  9. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Hazel!!!!! A green eyed redhead? [face_dancing] Oh yes!!!! [face_laugh] I hope Claire can keep up with her music. And, that she'll meet someone with very lovely blue eyes LOL ;) [:D] !!!
    Hazel likes this.
  10. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I had wondered about that. Wow! But the little day to day things that make such a difference in the end - I can't even imagine living life from year to year like that. I loved the line about the other monks thinking Darius being 'blessed by god'. [face_laugh]

Green eyed red head? There can be no better combination. Just sayin'. ;)
  11. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    I think red hair and green eyes would be perfect. I wish Mara Jade was an immortal. :(
    Last edited by Jedi_Lover, Apr 26, 2013
  12. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Oh wouldn't that make a uber-fine!! crossover. [face_batting] [face_laugh] Luke would have to be one too though. [face_dancing] @};-
  13. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Hehe! I knew you girls would like Claire's new look ;)

From now on, and until I reach the 1990s (the time the TV show takes place) I'll be jumping around in the timeline so if anyone gets confused let me know and I'll sort it out for you.
  14. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Vienna, 3rd of May of 2013

I usually take some time off between identities. It's a time when I'm no longer Claire 'Thayer' but not yet Claire 'Morron'. I usually spend this time visiting a close friend, not just so he or she gives me a hand at changing identities, but also so someone knows how to find me if necessary. I don't really like disappearing in the wind.

It was in one such break that I met Amanda. It was the turn of the century, when 1800's became the 1900's, and there was something in the air in Europe; it was becoming toxic again, as if something was about to break out. On the other side of the Atlantic, America was thriving again, after the end of the Civil War, so I thought it would be a good destination. Moreover, I hoped to find Max again.

So, after I bid farewell and see you soon to Darius and the Valincourts, I got on a ship, this time in Lisbon, and headed west.

When I arrived in New York, I found MacLeod waiting for me (apparently, Darius had sent a message ahead, and with him was a tall and athletic brunet, with piercing brown eyes and a constant smirk. I immediately recognized she was guarding Duncan from the prospect of another woman's arms. I think I immediately liked her.

Amanda is the wildest, most-fun-to-be-around person I ever met. She is also my most untrustworthy friend I ever had. If I want to walk on the wild side, I call Amanda; if I want some good-honest and trouble-free time, I stay as far away from her as possible. Basically speaking, she has a good heart, but she lives to get into trouble.

Amanda is now around 1200 years-old, she was born in Normandy and she has always been and always will be a thief. Her usual targets are museums, banks and the obscenely rich and, on occasion, she even likes to play Robin Hood. She is crazy about MacLeod, although she also is crazy enough to walk away and leave him to clean up her messes. He is usually not amused. In my opinion, it is these habits that keep them from hooking up permanently.

But I was writing about how I met Amanda. She was holding on to Mac's arm like it was hers and when he signaled me and I approached them, she immediately held out her hand to me, introducing herself without even letting Mac speak. In fact, this went on through out the evening. I think she viewed me as a possible competitor.

Fortunately, I wasn't intimidated by Amanda's manners and welcomed her exuberant nature. In a way she reminded me of some of the people I grew up with - performance artist usually have huge egos - so we hit it off. I spent a couple of weeks with them then, until Amanda cooked up some of her mischief and had to flee the state in a hurry or risk being beheaded by her target. Duncan ended up having to face the other immortal in her stead (this is one of Mac's trademark features, he always helps the damsel in distress, even if she is not a damsel or in distress). I don't know if he actually took the other guy's head or if they settled it some other way.

After this little adventure, I headed south, again half-hoping to find Max. I hadn't seen him since we parted so many decades ago but I knew he was still around from the letters he sent Darius. I ended up finding him almost a year later, in the city of Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil where he was engaged to a politician's daughter. Needless to say. I didn't linger for their wedding. I left in the first transport out.
    Last edited by Hazel, Aug 26, 2013
  15. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Amanda sounds lovely and like more than a boatload of trouble [face_laugh] Wow, so Max wound up with someone, in a very lovely setting too. Is it just me, mush fiend that I am, or was there a wistful note (more than a little?) in why Claire didn't stick around for the nuptials?
  16. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    I had a friend who lived to get in trouble just like Amanda. It was always horrifying and thrilling to be around him. Unfortunately, he died during one of his adventures, but I think of him daily.

Nice update.
  17. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @Jade_eyes - You might be on to something. ;) Anyway, this was the way to introduce the matter of marriage and children into this diary.

@Jedi_Lover - I'm sorry about your friend. [:D]

Also, I forgot to mention that Amanda is a recurring character in the TV series.
  18. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I LIKE this Amanda. :cool: And her and MacLoud has possibilities. :p

And I was totally not expected that about Max! Like Deb, I may have totally read into a note of wistfullness there at the end. :( [face_thinking]
    Hazel likes this.
  19. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Mira!

Amanda is a fun character. And yes, there was a wistful tone at the end there. Lets see what will come of it.
  20. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    No, Max! Well, if this girl isn't an Immortal, Claire will soon have him back ...

Duncan and Amanda sound hilarious!
    Hazel likes this.
  21. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Nat! You can bet that Claire's and Max's story doesn't end here, it just got a little sidetracked.
    Jade_eyes likes this.
  22. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Vienna, 11th of May of 2013

I don't know what I was thinking when I left Rio de Janeiro after meeting Max and his fiancée. I just knew the last thing I wanted to do was to stay for their wedding.

For the whole trip back north, all I could think about was how crazy Max was for marrying a mortal. At the time, that concept was foreign to me. I remember wondering how he would explain the fact that he healed so fast and never got old to her. Would he reveal himself to her? Would he hope she wouldn't notice? Or would he leave before she asked? I already knew that mortals don't deal well with the concept of immortal people; they either fear us or they want to experiment on us. We're pretty much like aliens from another planet to them. (Which is probably why some of us believe we are aliens from another planet.)

It was a strange coincidence that, while I was passing though Arizona, I ran into Benjamin Adams, who was now running with outlaws (go figure). We hung out for a few days and the subject of marriage came up. He told me then that it was not as uncommon as I thought and that he himself had been married many times. Whether or not he revealed himself to his wives depended on how much he trusted them and he found that if they really loved him, they accepted his immortality. He admitted, though, that when the marriage lasted until the other half appeared older, that was when the problems began.

It was nice to talk to Ben, but I was not fully convinced. I still had that feeling of a hole in the pit of my stomach when I thought of Max's upcoming nuptials.

I don't think I'll ever fully understand what makes an immortal marry a mortal. In my opinion, you're just asking for your heart to be broken. Immortality does not come with extra hearts and I will not allow mine to be broken by a fleeting affair. Fleeting yes, because for an immortal even a span of time of 50 or 70 years is still only a fleeting affair. I don’t care the experts say.

Darius used to say I was afraid of commitment. Maybe he was right or maybe I just haven't found anyone I want to spend a lifetime with. I imagine it's pretty hard to watch the one you love so much grow old and die in your arms without being able to do anything; much like losing a child you raised as your own, which is why I never did that either. As you can tell, I don't deal well with loss and it's very hard for me to get involved if I know beforehand that it is inevitable.

So... there you have it. I'm not afraid of commitment, I'm afraid of loss.

23. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Claire did some strong soul-searching in this entry. @};- I think I'd do, and feel, just as she does, about loss and commitment. The only way to level the playing field IMO would be for 2 immortals to marry. [face_sigh]
    Hazel likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    You had to mention aliens from another planet!:mad: Boooooooo! Marriage would be tough for an immortal and a mortal. I can see her point!
    Hazel likes this.
  25. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks girls! This is a touchy subject and I wanted it to come across as not too light or too heavy. Just plain soul searching.

[face_laugh]. Yeah, I had to mention it. :p I'll also probably will return to the subject some time later, but as a crazy theory among others.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl