Story [Highlander] Child of the Universe * DDC 2013 * COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Hazel, Jan 4, 2013.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Awww I love the introspection! It can't be easy for any of them :( Can Immortals reproduce?
    Hazel likes this.
  2. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    No, Immortal can't have childreen. All they can do is adopt.
  3. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Yes, that was soul searching in a word defined. And I have to agree with Claire here - I can't imagine having such a fleeting affair - or so many of them throughout one's life, like Ben. Although, that may be his own form of coping. Still! Wow. :(

I hope that Claire's waiting pays off - even though I am sad and happy for Max in a bittersweet way. I look forward to her meeting him again. :)

=D=
    Hazel likes this.
  4. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Mira! They will be meeting again.

As for Ben's stance in the matter, i think his is healthier because he's not afraid to allow himself to love even knowing he'll end up loosing the other person. Then again, he's a LOT older than Claire.
  5. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    New York, 17th of May of 2013

Well, I've finally settled my affairs in Vienna and left. I'm not sure where I'm going next, so for now I'll just catch some Broadway shows and treat myself to a whole lot of subs, pizzas and burgers. The biggest advantage of being an immortal is that I can eat all the junk food I want and not suffer the consequences.

So, where was I ... ah yes, the turn of the century.

During the first decade of the twentieth century I felt the need to travel - a lot. In fact, I don't think I spent more than a couple of months in the same place. It was like I was trying to escape my own shadow.

I remember it started while I was making my way north after leaving Max in Rio and when I found Ben in Arizona I was already under its effect. So, after Arizona I toured the United States - all of them - and went on to Canada and Alaska. Then I came back south to San Francisco, where I boarded a ship to Hawaii. From there I decided on heading off to Asia, starting with Japan. This part of my journey was particularly useful, since it allowed me to study first had oriental martial arts and improve my dueling skills. I would come to need them since I did encounter a few less-than-friendly immortals along the way.

I also met friendly immortals and ran into Amanda in India. She was attempting to charm a Maharaja in order to ease her access into his treasure. I helped and it was a lot of fun. It was so much fun, in fact, that she talked me into going with her to Russia where she had her mind set on 'acquiring' some Fabérge eggs from the Tzar. That was even more fun although it did get in way more trouble than we expected. But we got away just as we normally do.

After Russia, I headed back to Paris. Christmas day of 1909, I walked into Darius' church once again (yes, it was on purpose). This time I had kept in touch with Darius so he knew I was all right. He was very happy to see me there although he did admonish me for my adventures with Amanda.

This was how I spent the dawn of the twentieth century.
  6. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    This was an awesome glimpse at Claire's adventures. And wow, we are already hitting modern times! [face_thinking] I can't wait to see what's in store for her next. :)
    Hazel likes this.
  7. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Wait a second...you mean she is immortal AND she can eat everything and anything without gaining an ounce?! That just doesn't seem fair. Please tell me that she at least suffers from eternal teenage acne. [face_not_talking]

:p

[face_laugh]

Nice update!
    Hazel likes this.
  8. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    @Mira_Jade - Yeah, i skimmed over the nineteenth century because although it is historically significant, it's not so much for Claire's story. It's just more of the same. Now in the twentieth century everything changes -the world and Claire's life. There is a lot to cover.

@Jedi_Lover - Well, immortals don't get infections so ... no. :p [face_laugh]
  9. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Claire is soooo lucky. She can eat cheesecake and burgers and home fries/steak fries, fried chicken, chocolate, and never gain a pound. [face_sigh] That's just too marvelous for words, foodie that I am. Hazel, you are giving us such great glimpses of history. Just enough detail but with Claire's unique perspective. =D=
    Last edited by Jade_eyes, May 17, 2013
    Hazel likes this.
  10. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Seriously! :p I second all of this :D
    Jade_eyes and Hazel like this.
  11. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh] Okay, actually what I meant is something along these lines: 'I can catch a cold, I just can't die from it' (Duncan MacLoud)
    Jade_eyes likes this.
  12. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    New York, 24th of May of 2013

The first decade of the twentieth century was one of wonder and amusement for most of the civilized world.

The technology behind motion pictures had begun its development in the final stages of the nineteenth century and was booming. These movies that had started out as just another fairground attraction were now growing in length, in technique, in storytelling ability and, consequently, in audience. Theaters opened with the soul purpose of showing these movies all and people travelled far to watch them. I know I certainly did. I couldn't get enough of them. It was like magic.

Another such wonder that was on the rise in those days was aviation. It still amazes me to remember how fast it developed. It, at the end of the 1800s, the only safe way to travel was using hot air balloons and blimps, less than ten years later, the first motorized heavier-than-air aircraft was flying people across the land. I couldn't wait to get aboard one of those machines, but I would only get my chance in 1914 when commercial fight started. I'll admit that it wasn't has exciting as I thought it would be. Balloons were more fun.

And, of course, I cannot forget the car. I wonder if, when in 1908 Henry Ford built the Model T, he had an inkling of how great his invention would become.

There were other groundbreaking inventions in this span of time that would change the world; the sound radio transmitter in 1906 comes to mind, also the commercial photo film. There were more, of course, I just can't remember them now.

You know ... looking back now, it is a shame that this spree of technology culminated in World War I.
    Last edited by Hazel, May 24, 2013
  13. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Excellent post hitting technical breakthroughs of the early 20th century. =D= That last line: how true that is. :(
    Hazel likes this.
  14. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Nice! When my sons talk to me I feel like I have lived for centuries. "Mom, do you mean when you were a little kid there were no personal computers, or microwaves, or iPods, or DVR players?!"

I tell them, "That's right! We had a thing called a typewriter, we used an oven to reheat leftovers, we listen to music from a heavy boom box we carried on our shoulder and if we missed a TV program we had to wait for it to rerun later that summer between network seasons!"

Stang! I don't know how I survived my childhood. :(

;) Nice update!
    Last edited by Jedi_Lover, May 24, 2013
  15. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    [face_laugh] @Jedi_:Lover

Great update, Hazel! Short but sweet :) Doesn'tbode well for the next ...
    Hazel likes this.
  16. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Nat! And yes, the next entry will not be a joyful one, what with the war and all.
  17. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    New York, 31st of May of 2013

When the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria triggered the start of a new war in Europe, no one ever thought this one would take a worldwide dimension. It was the first time a conflict spread beyond the ocean and reached other continents. This was the start of globalization. Nowhere was safe, but the certainly the region that withstood the bulk of the fights was Europe.

This time I did not run away. I was in Paris when the war broke out and, when Darius felt the need to go into the fields to tend to the hurt, I went with him. Come to think of it, I think it was the first time I did something thinking of others before thinking of myself. It only just hit me how selfish I usually am.

So, I went with Darius. I can't say it was fun (definitely NOT fun) but I felt useful in a way I had never felt before. I got to meet some new people (immortal and mortal) and I got to do a lot of good. I also got to see some seriously horrible things.

There is not much more I want to say about WWI - I was there; I lived it; I wish I could forget it, but I can't; and I think most of all, I wish it had been the ultimate culmination of human violence - as we would all find out in less than thirty years time, it was just the beginning.
  18. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Amazing update. Glad Claire got to help those she could. She's not as literally devastated by horrible things it seems. I.e., she's strong enough to face them without running away. Sad there's usually only one way to get that way. :(
    Hazel likes this.
  19. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    The War to End All Wars...yeah right. Right after this is the Spanish Flu epidemic. Now I am hearing that the estimated deaths could have went as high as 100 Million. That was not a good time to be alive. Nice update.
    Hazel likes this.
  20. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I think most of all, I wish it had been the ultimate culmination of human violence - as we would all find out in less than thirty years time, it was just the beginning.

I love this line! And I like seeing Claire's personal growth.
  21. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks girls! I wasn't very inspired for that entry and the next few ones will be more along these lines. As I research it I'm finding the first half of the twentieth century to be really depressing history wise, but I fell I need robcover it because it is a growing period for Claire.

Also, I need to take a week off of so the next entry will be in the week next to this one.
  22. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    New York, 14th of June of 2013

When the Great War ended, we all breathed in relief but, as it turned out, it was too soon. The dust in the fields hadn't even settled yet and the world was already fighting another battle - this one against the Spanish Flu. It was amazing how fast and how far this virus spread. If, for the last few years we had witnessed the first global war, now we watched the first global pandemic. Coincidence? Definitely not. This epidemic was a consequence of the war. As Darius stated after a particularly gruesome night - God decided to punish humankind for its crimes.

Under the guidance of Grace Chandel (a 600 year-old medical doctor who had had her first death after being burned at the stake for witchcraft and who had been one of the first doctors to witness the rapid progression of the illness in a patient) and Sean Burns (a former monk who had become an immortal when his monastery was burned by Vikings in 805 AD and was now a healer of the soul), Darius, MacLeod, the Valincourts and I took over an old convent just outside of Paris and turned it into a hospital. We poured our hearts and souls into helping the people ho came to us, knowing that even if we might have a worldwide impact, locally we were making a difference and it all that was in our power.

Over the course of the following year, we were joined by a few other immortals who sought to help as well. One of them was Max, having lost his wife to the disease, in Brazil, he had heard of our efforts and had come to help. It felt strange to see him again, especially in those circumstances; he was not his usual fun and charming self, but more like a shadow of the man I had known. I blamed the pain he must have gone through and it served to assert my conviction I was right in not wanting attachments of that kind.

After a year, the strength of the outbreaks started dwindling and, as rapidly as it had emerged, the flu was gone. Modern estimates of casualties are between 50 and 100 million deaths places this pandemic as the deadliest in history. More people died in one year from it than in the whole of the previous world war.

I was there; I bore witness to it; I helped as I could; I hope I never see something like that again.

The war and the disease might not have taken anyone I loved, but it did take whatever was left of my innocence.
    Last edited by Hazel, Aug 26, 2013
  23. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    I'm sure the worst is over...I mean two major tragedies in a decade...what else could possibly happen? Oh yeah, the great depression and WWII.

I'll tell you the people who lived in the early 1900's must have thought it was the end of days.

My Mom once told me her brother would come home during the depression with donated bread from local bakeries. My grandmother thought he might be stealing so she went to the baker to make sure. The baker said, "I gave him the bread. I felt so sorry for him. He told me how his father died of the Spanish Flu." The trouble was my grandfather was alive and well. My uncle was a bit of a flimflam man. o_O

Nice update.
  24. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Wow, Claire has seen too much :( I hope that she can find joy again, and I know she'll appreciate even the teensy good, "ordinary" moments. [face_thinking]
    Hazel likes this.
  25. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Oops, double post. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Jade_eyes, Jun 14, 2013
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl