Story [Highlander] Child of the Universe * DDC 2013 * COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Hazel, Jan 4, 2013.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks girls!
    I think most people either love or hate high school. I think it depends on whether your popular or not. Plus, I think a 200 year-old immortal pretending to be a student would find the other students incredibly childish, no matter how much she looks their age.Claire has lived too much to be comfortable around kids.
    NYCitygurl and Nyota's Heart like this.
  2. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    New York, 4th of October of 2013

Why is it that the harder you try to forget something, the harder it is to not think about it. It's like when someone tells you not to think of elephants, suddenly you can't think of anything but elephants (I saw that comparison in a movie a while ago and it stuck with me).

This year is the twentieth anniversary of Darius' death and I have been going out of my way to not think about it, to not think about him. Needless to say, I have failed miserably. I have been failing for twenty years. Not a single day goes by that I don't want to talk to him, that I don't want to see him. He was my dearest friend and my purest love. No one knew me better, or longer, than Darius. I miss him so very much.

Immortals tend to develop a very strong bond with their teachers and mine with Darius certainly qualified. I could swear I felt him die. I was on the other side of the world when it happened, in Tokyo for a concert, and I remember that morning I woke up panting, although I could not remember what I had been dreaming. I really felt like someone had taken a forceful swing at me. Suddenly, I felt this urge to talk to Darius and I called him. Of course, no one answered. I tried to appease myself that it didn't mean anything, that Darius often did not pick up the telephone and always neglected to check his messages, but the nervousness did not abandon me. I was tempted to call others but ended up deciding against it. I think a part of me was afraid of their answer. Besides, it wasn't like I was ever very intuitive, quite the opposite in fact.

After a few days, I convinced myself that I had just had a bad dream and I carried on with my life. At this time, and for the first time, I had secured a position as a musician with a big time orchestra and we were touring the eastern hemisphere. I was having a good time and not getting into trouble. The tour lasted until the start of the fall season and only after that did I return to Paris.

So twenty years ago today, I walked into Darius' church and found out he was not there anymore. He would never be there again.

Darius was gone forever.
  3. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    WOW! :( I am happy about the orchestra job, but whew! That must be one of the hardest things to do, sneak up on an immortal and cause a terminal injury. Just from the fact that they are immortals to begin with would seem to make that an impossibility, and then add to that the years! of life lessons. Not like it would be easy to catch one unprepared or in a gullible moment, like those crazy mysteries you read where you know the person should not go meet this sneaky character at midnight in some deserted location :rolleyes: I have a feeling Claire will keep her emotional distance for quite the while now. [face_thinking]
    Hazel likes this.
  4. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, Darius' death was harsh, but it's fully canon. Claire will be going through the details in the next few entries. There is a lot more than meets the eye in this event.
  5. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    It is harsh losing your best friend. I lost mine decades ago, but I still think of him and I tell my children about my crazy friend I grew up with. I couldn't imagine losing a friend I've known for lifetimes. Nice update.
    Hazel and Nyota's Heart like this.
  6. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks girls! [:D]

Here's the next entry:

New York, 18th of October of 2013

As I stated earlier, it took me a while to realize Darius was dead, and it took me even longer to come to grips with it. It didn’t help that I couldn’t understand, for the life of me, how it had happened. I mean, Darius lived on Holy Ground and we, immortal, are forbidden to fight on Holy Ground… So, who did it? And how? Obviously, I know how - someone had taken his head, but… And even if he had stepped out of his Church and met someone on the outside, where it wasn’t safe, Darius had ALWAYS been able to talk others out of striking him. I simply couldn’t understand.

I would take me a whole other month to learn what had happened. In the meantime, I began a search of all immortals in the vicinity, but those I did find were as puzzled as I was. It wasn’t until Gina told me McLeod had been visiting Darius around the time of his death that I finally had a clue. So, I left Paris (and haven’t returned since) and paid a visit to Duncan in Seacouver where he had taken up residence with his long-time girlfriend/almost wife, Tessa. And here I use the term long-time in a mortal standpoint, since they had been living together for over ten years. I had met Tessa a few times before and always found her to be a very nice person. She was an artist and since Mac was working as an antiques dealer, they seemed to complement each other nicely. Plus I knew she could be trusted since Mac had revealed his immortality to her a while back and she had still stayed with him.

When I walked into Duncan’s store, it took him about two seconds to figure out why I was there. I swear, his stance changed… he slumped, somehow. Then he led me inside, asked Tessa to give us some privacy and told me what had happened.

McLeod started by telling me that Darius had not been killed by immortals. The people responsible for the atrocious act had been a group of mortals that called themselves The Hunters. And that’s what they did, they hunted immortals. They knew about us and believed we were abominations, so they disabled us (usually using a gun or drugs) and then they killed us.

When I asked how they knew about us and who we were, Mac told me that the Hunters had sprung from a much larger group of mortals, The Watchers, who dedicated their lives to documenting our lives. Yes, they are the ultimate stalkers; they watch us for a living. They had been for millennia; since some guy had watched some Sumerian hero, or king or something, revive.

This was astounding to me. How did we, immortals, not know about this?

This whole thing was so wild and far-fetched, it actually made me forget my grief for the rest of the day. Which was a good thing because it gave Mac time to explain to me that the Watchers aren’t bad people; they are historians. Creepy historians, but historians nonetheless. We are now good friends with some of them, especially Joe Dawson. Joe was the one who came clean with Mac and explained all this to him. He is Mac’s personal Watcher (we all have one). Joe was also the person that gave me this diary and convinced me to write in it, undoubtedly so he can archive for posterity, or something like that. He’s okay, though.

As for the Hunters, Mac told me that he had already avenged Darius and gotten the one who was responsible for his death, though we came to find out later that the guy, James Horton, survived and even returned some time later to take his own vengeance on Mac; but that’s another story, it’s over now, and I took no part of it (although I would have liked to take a few swings at him myself, even if Darius hadn’t approved). Mac did warn me, however, that there are more out there, looking to take our heads. I did meet a few, shortly after this visit to Mac, and since I’m still around to write this, you can imagine how that went.

Wow… Watchers…. People that live to document our lives… I’ve known about this for twenty years and I still haven’t gotten used to it. I don’t think I ever will.

I think these people should find something better to do with their time.
  7. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    A very interesting and enlightening update =D= =D= It does help to have more information and to know one needs to be vigilant. Those hunters, unlike the historian/watchers are just vicious predators. They're the dangerous element, not the Immortals, as a group.
    Hazel likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Not as far fetched as Highlander 2!

Nice update!
    Hazel likes this.
  9. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I am so sorry about Darius for her. Reading that actually hurt.

These Hunters sound like the worse of bad business. I'm glad she is aware and is being careful. :)
  10. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Noooooooo Darius! No no no!!

Of all the things she's gone through, that's the worst :(

I'm dying to know more about these HUnters, though!
    Nyota's Heart and Hazel like this.
  11. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks girls! [:D] Yes, Darius's death was a huge blow for Claire.

I'm not sure where this diary will go from here, I don't want it to be very repetitive. If it wasn't for the challenge I'd just wrap it up in a post or two.
    Oh, well... still have a week to figure out how to keep it going until the end of December.
    NYCitygurl likes this.
  12. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    You could get Claire and Max together for good ... ;)
    Nyota's Heart likes this.
  13. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Yums! Maybe that's why he cannot settle with anyone. :)
  14. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, as it turned out, all I needed was to sit down and write the rest of this diary in one go. Now I don't have to worry any more.

Thanks girls!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New York, 1st of November of 2013

After leaving Duncan in Seacouver, I tried to get back to my previous life. I had lost loved ones before and I thought I could handle Darius’ death. Basically, I was in denial.

I tried to pretend that it wasn’t a big deal, that I could go on. It wasn’t like I spoke to Darius every day. I used to go months, sometimes even years, without talking to him. I thought I could just pretend he was still there, waiting for me.

So, I went on pretending… I pretended it didn’t matter that I would never talk to him again, I pretended that I was alright, I pretended that I didn’t cry myself to sleep every night and that it wasn’t harder and harder to pick myself up from my bed every morning. I kept pretending until the day I could not pick myself up anymore. That day I just stayed in bed.

I don’t know how long I stayed there. Days became nights that in turn became days again, and I just laid there crying. If I were mortal, I would have died there. That big black hole I wanted to crawl into after Sarah died - I had found it and I didn’t want to leave it, and this time no one could pull me out because no one knew where I was. Not even I knew where I was.

I was lost.

15. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Ooh, :_| -- my word what a sad! place Claire is in. @};- @};- Even the friends she has made in this space and time can't really sympathize, they can if they have lost someone, but for Claire, forever lost is literal. [face_thinking]
    Hazel likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Well that was sad. Hopefully she will pull herself out of her depression. :(
    Hazel likes this.
  17. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks ladies! [:D]
    Yes, this is the darkest of times for Claire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New York, 15th of November of 2013

It is strange how life has a way to pull us out of whatever funk we get ourselves into. Sometimes it takes the form of kind nuns, others of wild wolf pups and others of friends who never ever give up on you. This time, it was none of the aforementioned. This time it was a long-time acquaintance, someone I had not run into in a very long time, someone I never thought would go out of his way to help me.

One day, as I laid in my misery, the lights of my room turned on and, suddenly, I found myself looking at Ben Adams. At first I thought I was dreaming, but when he picked me up and carried me to the shower, I realized I wasn't. I tried to tell him to leave me alone, but I was too weak to make a sound or even struggle. I recall him saying that the room stank like someone had died in it and I remember thinking that someone had. The next few hours - I think they were hours, but they might have been days - were a blur.

At some point, he told me he no longer went by Ben Adams. He called himself Adam Pierson now. I nodded and tried to commit his name to memory. It was harder than it sounds now.

So, anyway, Adam bathed me and fed me and aired out my room, and absolutely refused to leave until I was up and about. When I asked him why he was doing this, he answered that it was because Darius was his friend too and would not approve of what I was doing to myself. That made me cry. And then he told me that all my friends were out looking for me and made it me cry some more.

When my tears dried out, I asked how had he been the one to find me and he replied he had connections with the Watchers. The fact that Adam knew about the Watchers was enough to spark my curiosity and he must have picked up on it because he started to tell me about it. As it turned out Adam had found out about them ages ago (at first he wouldn't tell me how long) and had recently infiltrated the organization, which was how he had managed to find me when no one else could. Apparently, my Watcher never lost track of me. When I asked why he would do that, he finally admitted that it was to preserve his real identity and more easily escape the ones who would take his head. You see, the man who sat before me was the legendary Methos, the oldest immortal alive. I couldn't help but be both flattered and flustered that five thousand years of experience were being used to pick me up again. I thanked him for his trust in me and he responded by asking me to keep his secret.

After a week or so, Max joined us. You see, as it turned out, Adam was not the only one who had caught my trail, the Hunters had too, and so Max had taken a detour to ‘take care’ of the problem while Adam ensured my safety.

Adam left shortly after Max arrived, leaving me in my old-time lover and teacher’s capable hands and for the months that followed Max stayed, kicking me out of my hole every time I wanted to crawl back in. It dawns on me now that that time span was the longest I have ever seen Max stay in one place without the prospect of an adventure.

Unfortunately, after almost a year of doing nothing but babysit me, and seeing that I was seemingly out of my groove, Max began to feel like his usual restless self. Not long after that, he left once again. I remember he asked me to go with him, but I wasn’t up to it. I was feeling better, but not well enough to go gallivanting around the globe. We were in very different places, Max and I.
    Last edited by Hazel, Nov 15, 2013
  18. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Super post. Glad Ben/Adam and Max were there. Bummer, LOL I was hoping Max would stick around ;) Guess he and Claire will always be in different places [face_thinking]
    Hazel likes this.
  19. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Nice update. I think my teenage sons must be depressed immortals because their bedrooms sound like they smell as just as bad as Claire's did. Or maybe they are just sweaty teenagers that don't like showering.

I am glad her friends found her and took care of her.
    NYCitygurl, Hazel and Nyota's Heart like this.
  20. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    It always seems like they are destined to cross each other like this. :( But I am looking forward to seeing what comes next for her. :D
  21. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks ladies! [:D]

This wasn't the right time for Max and Claire, but who knows what the future holds...

Here is the next entry:

New York, 29th of November of 2013

There’s not much to say about the last twenty years of my life. Nothing remarkable happened to me since Methos and Max pulled me out of my black hole. I simply picked up where I left off. It’s true that my life is a little emptier than before Darius died, but I do have other friends and I see them often enough.

I wasn’t the only one that had a hard time. McLeod went through some pretty bad times himself. Right after Darius, he lost Tessa in a street mugging gone bad. About a year after that, he went through what is called a Dark Quickening. It was like what Darius went through when he killed Emrys and ‘became good’, only the opposite. Mac took the head of an immortal who, in turn, had taken so many heads of ‘evil’ immortals, that he became ‘evil’ himself, and then passed it on to my friend. This is a bit confusing, but the bottom line was that Mac got a little crazy ‘bad’ for a while and took the head of another one of our friends, Sean Burns (the one who had helped me after WWII). Eventually, Methos had to intervene and help Mac out. Apparently he is very good at doing that.

The Valincourts went through a rough spot too, and almost got divorced. Mac and Methos helped them out. I wish I could have seen that, from what I heard it was kind of funny.

Methos himself went through some heartbreak. He fell in love with a terminally ill waitress named Alexa. Their romance lasted just a few months and when she died, she took a piece of his heart with her. When later I asked him why he had given his heart to her in the first place, he said that ‘love is always worth it, even if it only lasts a heartbeat’.

Amanda kept coming in and out of our lives. She spent some time teamed up with a cop and we all hoped he’d be a good influence on her, but unfortunately it didn’t last.

As for Max, he shows his face from time to time, and then leaves to start some other great adventure. He does not stay very long.

The millennium came and went, and the world didn’t end. I made new friends and lost others, some to the Hunters and others to other immortals, but I carry on, living one day at the time and missing Darius every day. Sometimes I still wish I could just sleep forever.
  22. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Very intriguing glimpses of Mac, Methos, and the Valincourts. =D= You have to wonder how an immortal lives with so much vaguaries and ups and downs. But Claire pegged it, @};- just like we all do ;) one day at a time, but one thing we should never lose sight of is the value of true friends. [face_thinking] I think all her hard experiences have just made her more appreciative and a better friend to those she cares about. :) Max and Amanda, of all their acquaintances, seem to be more ungrounded than the others.
    Hazel likes this.
  23. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Methos falling in love with a terminally ill person can't be too much different from dating any mortal. There is always the threat of death looming.

Nice update.
    Hazel likes this.
  24. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    This is so, so sad! Especially that last line. I'm glad Max stayed with Claire for a year. I hope she'll become ready to go with him someday soon!
    Hazel likes this.
  25. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks ladies!! [:D]

Most of the events mentioned in the last entry were in the tv show and the Methos/Alexa part was further explored by me in the viggie One Last Postcard from Alexa, which is somewhere in this board (I have misplaced the link, though).

This is the second to last entry of this diary:

New York, 13th of December of 2013

Max showed up at my doorstep today. Apparently, his space adventure fell through and he had to leave in a hurry. I told him ‘too bad’ and ‘better luck next time’ and was trying to usher him away when he told that all our friends were preparing a memorial for Darius in Paris and that he had come to take me there.

Now, all my friends are aware that I have not been to Paris since Darius died, and most of my friends know better than to make me do something I don’t want to do, but Max was never in the last group. Of course, it helps that I can never say no to him. So, before I even began to argue, he had already invaded my bedroom and started to pull out assorted clothes and a bag.

As he packed my things, Max told me that after the memorial he is going to sail the Atlantic and look for clues on the location of Atlantis. It is an old dream of his and one he keeps trying to fulfill. Whenever there is a technological breakthrough that Max believes will help him find Atlantis, there he goes again. I think it is a wild goose chase, but it does sound like fun.

But for now, I tremble at the thought of returning to Darius’ church.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl