main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Highlander The Source/Highlander The Comics

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by darth-sinister, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Here it is. "Highlander: The Source" trailer from a Russian PPV channel, type thingy. It is in Russian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJFXwW7zOJw

2. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Watch it while you can, here is a fan made trailer for "The Source" using footage from the Russian DVD. It is in English.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Will it be released on DVD or in theaters?

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If you read the last page, it's unknown what the release will be in the US. This is from the Russian distributor Paradise video, which imports from other regions. For whatever reason, they chose to put out a version that is deemed incomplete by the producers and Lionsgate.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Highlander issue #8.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/dynamitenew/Highlander/highlander8.jpg]

Preview pages from issue five, on stands now.

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/dynamitenew/Highlander/05/HL5_Interior_1.jpg]

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/dynamitenew/Highlander/05/HL5_Interior_2.jpg]

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/dynamitenew/Highlander/05/HL5_Interior_3.jpg]

[image=http://images.comicbookresources.com/previews/dynamite/highlander/05/HL5%20Interior%2014.jpg]

[image=http://images.comicbookresources.com/previews/dynamite/highlander/05/HL5%20Interior%2015.jpg]

[image=http://images.comicbookresources.com/previews/dynamite/highlander/05/HL5%20Interior%2017.jpg]

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    This past weekend, William N. Panzer who was the producer of the Highlander franchise, passed away. He had been ice skating and had taken a nasty fall, which had left damage. He suffered a brain hemmorage. He was 62 years old. Adrian Paul spoke on his website.

http://www.adrianpaul.net/tributetobillpanzer.html

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    First, Adrian Paul has revealed that there have been changes to "The Source", but nothing was reshot. Instead, some dialogue was cut and some was replaced with either alternate cuts. Or dubbed over. There are other changes to the film.

Second, coming soon, the third arc in the Highlander monthly series.

[image=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/darth-sinister/Highlander/highlander10.jpg]

Issue ten kicks off the first post "Endgame" storyline, as Duncan is visited by Joe and Methos and learns that there is a problem. Someone is killing off Immortals in a grand fashion, the likes of which has not been seen in some time. Duncan and his allies must find who is out there "thinning the herd" as Methos puts it. Just because Connor is dead here, doesn't mean that he is not part of the story.

11. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I was surprised when I came across a bootleg of the movie last week, must be the half-arsed version distributed by the Russions. Judging from the fact that this was possible to begin with I doubt this movie will make theatres. If you can't afford to keep a lid on some third rate Russian production studio you probably can't afford a cinematic release.

I didn't get the bootleg, but I've read some reviews from people who've seen it and none of 'em are any good. I hope the finished product delivers.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not a bootleg. The film was set to be released much earlier and was complete. The Russian cut is the complete version of the film, prior to January 2007. Russia chose to go with the original release date that they had agreed upon, but Lionsgate chose to wait and then recut the film, once word got out.

13. jag29

jag29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 13, 2002
    Not going to make it to theatres. Going to premier on the Sci-Fi network. Sometime around September 19, I believe.

jag29

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Problem with the second movie is that there's too many versions:
    US version, European version, Director's Cut, Renegade Version:Director's Cut.
    The Director's cut ends with Conner and whats-her-name taking off to Zeist.

The best line in the whole series is in the second movie.

"Mosht people have a full meashure of Loif. And mosht people watch it slowly dreft away. But if you can shummon it all up... in one toim... in one playsch... You can aschieve shomthing... Glorioush."
    Another factor that didn't make it into the explanation is that Katana was supposed to be the winner of a previous game who came back and took over.

Just saw the Highlander:Search of Vengence anime... boy was that awful. Lame mish-mash of Highlander, Heavy Metal, and Vampire Hunter D without any of the things that made those successful, and a really lame script. Only moderate quality eye-candy. So if you haven't seen it, save your time unless you're really curious. About the only positive thing I can say is that it was better than Highlander: The Animated Series.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Actually, there's not that many version of HL2. There is the theatrical cut and then the Renegade Version. The Renegade Version was modified three times between 1994 and 2004. The changes as follows.

1994:

-19 minutes of footage put back in.
    -All references to Zeist have been removed and changed to "A long, long time ago."
    -Modified ending where only part of the fairy tale ending is used.
    -Removal of one of the songs used in the end credits.
    -End credits shrank down.
    -Removed where Louise runs out of ammo after the gun fight with the guards at the December Installation.

1998:

-Totally remastered audio and visual.
    -Insertion of footage from Godzilla when Katana looks at the guy whose coat he steals.
    -The buzz sound effect from the series is used three times.
    -Sword sound effects have been modified.
    -Ahriman's growl from "Archangel", "Avatar" and "Armageddon" is removed when Katana enters the boardroom.

2004:

-New remastered audio and visual from the original source material.
    -The buzz sound effect is removed.
    -The original sword sound effects restored.
    -Ahriam growl removed.
    -Sheild effect has been changed from red to blue and is made slightly transparent.
    -Energy colum for the Sheild has been modified to make it blue and have a bit of a twist to it.
    -Ramirez now says "Magic" when they toast.
    -Several old effects have been digitally enhanced to make them stand out.
    -A ripple effect in the Sheild when Corda and Reno are first sent to kill Connor, as well as when Ramirez is reborn.
    -When Katana goes to leave the film slows down for some reason.
    -"A long, long time ago" title card has been removed.
    -End credits back to original size.
    -New Connor voice over for when Louise reads Connor's journal from the Rosemary.
    -Removed section where Louise and Connor fight the guards inside the December Installation.

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    And which version in your list has the "Connor & Louise" take off for Zeist scene at the end?
    I have seen the footage for this--a friend got if from somewhere (I didn't ask where & don't want to know for certain--it had the clock time running in the corner). At the end of a version very similar to the US release--actually, it was 1/2 way between the US theatrical and the Renegade version. All references to Zeist intact.
    Connery's whispered comment on the plane left unheard.
    Some other added scenes available.
    Order very similar to US release.

I generally consider this the "Director's Cut" separate from the "Renagade Version Director's Cut" that was commercially released.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    There is a TV broadcast which contains Connor's hand healing and the fairy tale ending. This is done to make the film longer on television. In fact, this was the initial cut that was to be in theaters. But at the last moment those two scenes were cut. This version is shown in syndication in the US. Usually on channels such as WGN or on occassion on FOX affiliates. This version, as far as I know, was first shown in 1995. Sci-Fi has shown it a time or two. Because there is a time code in the corner, your friend as a rare bootleg copy.

Here's some additional information. Russel Mulchay did not want credit for this film when it was taken from him and hacked up. But because he was not a member of the DGA, he could not have this done. In 1994, the Renegade Version was born as a result of his desire to complete the film and he was going against the original theatrical cut, with all the changes made. Director's Cuts weren't very common back in the day, so the new title made it clear that this was different. For the 2004 release, the title was officially dropped.

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Ah.
    Spiffy.
    I'll be sure to tell him at some point.
    Thanks.
    [face_peace]

Anyone else seen the Anime Highlander? (not the Animated series)

We have Conner from the movies. We have Duncan from the TV show. We have Quentin from the "Animated Series" cartoon. Now we have Colin from the Anime. There are highlands in other countries. Don't the writers know this? Why not the Highlander of Thailand/Siam?

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Duncan was created because Christopher Lambert didn't want to do Highlander as a television series and once Adrian Paul was cast as his replacement, it was decided that there needed to be a separate MacLeod. Thus Duncan was created as a last minute replacement. With a full backstory added as the series went on. Lambert approved of the series and did one episode, but that was it. Quentin was created to avoid confusion with the series timeline. Colin was created because that story has nothing to do with any version of Highlander, except the core concepts. The director only liked the first film and rather than just using Connor, he and David Abramowitz created Colin from scratch.

20. jag29

Dec 13, 2002
    D-S,
    Do you know when the Source will be on the Sci-Fi network. I know it said September but I don't remember the date?

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The 15th. You can go to Sci-Fi and they'll have a webpage for it.

22. jag29

Dec 13, 2002
    Saw The Source this weekend.

It sucked entirely. I can't believe they actually were thinking to put this out in theatres.
    I was so eager to see another Highlander movie all these years. I was so disappointed.

jag29

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It was a pretty awful film. I was expecting something better than that but at least I got to watch it for free.

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    So, is it any different from the Russian DVD release that came out oh-so-long ago?

25. jag29

Dec 13, 2002
    I never saw the russian DVD version. Don't waste your time watching this. Total disappointment.

jag29

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.