main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Highlander The Source/Highlander The Comics

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by darth-sinister, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Absolutely terrible.

I can't imagine what would have happened if they had actually asked people to pay to see this.

I hope they put the franchise to rest.

Endgame was at least entertaining, and had a human feel. This was utter, rushed garbage.

By the way, the original ending of "Endgame" had Kate dead, IIRC, yet the video has her surviving and being reunited with Duncan. In this movie, he mentions her as dead.

And since when are the planets so large and clear from Earth?

Peace,

V-03

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, I have to chime in and say it was pretty craptastic also. It had a trainwreck "D&D the Movie" kinda feel. Like it's so bad that you have to keep watching it to see if it could get any worse. And it does.

3. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    It was like watching necrophilia being performed on the franchise's corpse. :p

4. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Let me put it to you guys this way:

After I saw Highlander: The Source, I had to go put in and watch Highlander 2 just to wash the taste of Source out! ;)

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually didn't think it was that bad, but it definitely needed some work. The Guardian was a terrible villian, and the ending becomes a mess, especially with the religious character turning randomly. However, I did think it felt like an episode of the TV series at time, with an odd style of a fantasy mini-epic mixed in. There were elements to it better than Endgame, and others far more terrible. A shame, really.

6. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    They way they did something to a certain mortal character was just terrible, IMHO. Superficial, hollow, and totally without any real meaning.

Peace,

V-03

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If the Guardian had been a more interesting (or, for that matter consistant, since he jumped around in tone between weirdly jokerish to gravel-voiced brute to S&M freak monster) it might have worked better.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    A Highlander convention was held last weekend in Canada. Here are the highlights.

-David Abramowitz has now taken Bill Panzer's place as head of creative control. He said that Highlander is not dead, despite "The Source". There is a project in the works, but he cannot elaborate just yet. Rumors presist that a remake might be in the offing.

-Abramowitz, Adrian Paul and Peter Wingfield attented "The Source" panel. All three admit that the fifth film was not that good and all three pretty much state that it is a bad dream. Abramowitz said that when he came on board, the script was not that good and he made an effort to try and change it. But Bill Panzer and Lionsgate weren't listening, with the script prior to his draft being locked in. Only a few bits of his concepts made it into the final film. He cited that the film was a gilded turd that got worse as time went on. If they had listened, the film might not have been as bad. Lionsgate wanted a film that was more of a horror film, thinking that it would attract younger viewers.

-Adrian Paul and Elizabeth Gracen both did a skit that had them reprising their roles, written by Abramowitz and set five years after "Endgame". Duncan mentions that he had a bad dream about Joe dying.

-The video game is still being made. It will feature Peter Wingfield as Methos and introduces Owen MacLeod. When asked about there being another MacLeod, Abramowitz admitted that he has a soft spot for MacLeods and that he probably could've used another name. Or at best, better men than him could.

-Brandon Jerwara, writer of the Highlander comic said that there is a reference to "The Source" in issue 12, but he might not use it. He hadn't seen the film, but he was interested in fan reaction.

9. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I'm sorry, but The Source ended up being on the same scale as other Sci-Fi Channel "hits" like Sabertooth, and Mansquito. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.