main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Highlander vs Star Wars Duels

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LukeJim, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukeJim

LukeJim Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 10, 2004
    Dont think this has been discussed b4 so please dont rape me :)

Id love to see The Kurgan vs Vader, the sheer devestation would be great and what a mess they would make :)

as far as the actualy duels in each film/tv series OT SW has some great duels full of emotion and tense action, the PT is a bit of a twirly twirly exhibition "it looks good at first but it dont work" HL1 has some epic battles that really feel like ppl trying to hack each others heeds off and the series has some of the greatest sword play ever even the abymsal Highlander :Endgame has one true classic fight with Adrian Paul vs Donnie Yen (of hero fame)

as much as I love lightsabers and the OT SW duels id have to pick HL as the having better duels then again there were a LOT of them throughout all the films and series. The choreography in the series especially is something to behold and way above anything of the PT but still holds the emotion and feel of the OT SW duels.

Discuss? :)

2. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    You will not be raped here. Or atleast thats speaking for myself. Far as Highlander goes, the duel with MarioVan peoples was good. Never thought to compare the duels to STARWARS. Pretty much the same. The Highlanders swords were heavy and Lucas told the actors that Sabers were heavy as Excaliburian swords so, pretty much the same for the time. Highlander had many movies after STARWARS so they should have actually become much better.

3. STRIKE

STRIKE Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2004
    Highlander was a fantastic movie, though the sequals/series suck!

4. LukeJim

LukeJim Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 10, 2004
    yep the HL sequals are all terrible, thinking about it we are quite spoiled with the star wars prequals really :) imagine would COULDVE been, both ways i guess tho

5. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I always thought the Highlander films had some of the worst swordfighting ever. Sean Connery made Alec Guiness look like a world champ fencer.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    even the abymsal Highlander :Endgame has one true classic fight with Adrian Paul vs Donnie Yen (of hero fame)

Agreed on it being dismal, but also on that being a pretty kicking little fight sequence between the two. It stands out as the best thing about Endgame by a mile.

Kurgan vs Vader would be fun, but Vader's just as strong, is a bit quicker (God! Vader quicker than someone! :p) and of course has those handy Force powers.

7. STRIKE

Sep 18, 2004
    Remember that scene in Highlander? the one where The Kurgan slices the roof of that old couples car off? "MOM! OOOH"

Highlander VS Vader

"Father ooooh" Kurgain flies off in the shuttle with Vader hanging onto the outside of the ship.

VADER "Conner help me take this mask off"
    CONNER "But You'll Die"
    Vader "Nothing can stop that now, let me look on you with my own eyes"

*Conner takes off Vaders helmet*

CONNER "Who cuts your hair"
    Vader "I am in disguise"

That sucked! someone has to do a Vader VS Highlander story for fun.

8. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    What a poorly veiled prequel bash :rolleyes: :p

9. -Doctor_Evil-

-Doctor_Evil- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2004
    Hard to clean up an accidental double post with no delete function.

Little help here mods? Please delete this post!

10. -Doctor_Evil-

Sep 3, 2004
    The Swordplay in the prequels is outstanding in my opinion. And the sword fights in the Highlander series were unmatched IMO for a weekly TV show and perhaps even in 99% of American films with swordplay in them.

By the third season of that show, Adrian Paul was a master showman with the katana. I can't speak to his actual martial prowess, but his fights always LOOKED great on screen.

In fact being a fan of that show and SW, I've always wanted to see AP as a Jedi or even a Sith Lord in one of the films.

Perhaps there might be a spot for him in a SW TV show if it is live action. I can hope anyway! :)

Doc

11. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    "the sword fights in the Highlander series were unmatched IMO for a weekly TV show and perhaps even in 99% of American films with swordplay in them."

You do mean in that time period, right?

12. STRIKE

Sep 18, 2004
    I liked the sword fight in Die Another Day, though it's nothing compared to a Star Wars fight.

13. -Doctor_Evil-

Sep 3, 2004
    "the sword fights in the Highlander series were unmatched IMO for a weekly TV show and perhaps even in 99% of American films with swordplay in them.

You do mean in that time period, right? "

Perhaps. I must admit that the olders movies I have seen less of. And perhaps 99% is a little harsh, but most sword fighting I see in films pales in comparison to The Phantom Menace or Highlander the Series.

Name me better and I'll amend my opinion. Most films with swordplay are horrid because they use "Stage fighting" which is tried and true and safe. I'm really not refering to martial arts movies either, but american movies. 3 Musteteers? Horrible (at least the Charley Sheen one was I'm trying to remember the Micheal York one. Haven't seen that since I was a kid). Erol Flynn movies? Enjoyable stories, but srill "Stage fighting." Kill Bill? Come on! Braveheart? Okay gotta admit, haven't seen it all the way through.

I just prefer Nick Gillard's work in Star Wars and F. Braun McAsh's and Adrian Paul's work in Highlander.

So let me amend and say "the sword fights in the Highlander series were unmatched IMO for a weekly TV show and perhaps even in 70% of American films with swordplay in them." And again, IMO!

Doc

14. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    "but most sword fighting I see in films pales in comparison to The Phantom Menace or Highlander the Series."

I guess I can agree with the TPM thing being that a filmmaker probably cant even stage a swordfight without STARWARS popping up in his mind. STARWARS swordplay is exclusive and it should be the best. There are atleast four or five films with incredible weapons coreography but it would be useless to list them here just so they can be bashed to death. But I agree with most of your statement and I believe the next duel will make action movies put down their swords for awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.