main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

HIMS

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Mar 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    :D Im tis why Im trying to figure out how I could get this to work.

2. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    (no message)

3. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Objects coming out of hyperspace will be traveling at a faster rate of speed than objects traveling at sublight speeds. More importantly, however, two objects can not share the same area in space at the same time.

However, it becomes difficult to wonder if a ship in hyperspace passes through objects in real space. The grav well of a planet or sun will bring a ship out of hyperspace automatically to prevent the ship from crashing into such an object. Yet there has been nothing mentioned about ships passing through the same space as a ship in hyperspace at the same time. The hyperdrive has an automatic cut-off to prevent crashing into a planet or sun, which would suggest that an object in real space is a threat to an object in hyperspace. At the same time, ships and such in real space appear to prove no threat to an object in hyperspace when in the path of that object.

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    So basically you're saying both schools of thought are correct?

5. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    I'm not sure about the actual mechanics of it, but i was under the impression that Hyperspace was a different dimension in which one could move faster than light. A ship enters Hyperspace by altering the space around the ship, so onboard the ship is normal, but the ship itself moves through Hyperspace. It accomplishes this based on the repulsor tech of the makers of the Cprellian system. Hence, the gravity an object in realspace (which exists in Hyperspace apparently) effects the field which keeps the ship in Hyperspace. The Hyperdive can deal with very small gravity fields, however, it would destroy itself trying to prevent a large gravity "well" (like that produced by a planet, star, blach hole, large dovin basal or gravity well generator), so it has a safety cutoff when it encounters a large gravity well. When the drive shuts off automatically, the ship reverts to realspace very close to the origin of the gravity well. Basically that means death if you run into a black hole, star or supernova. You MIGHT survive if it's only a planet, though you'll probably crash into it as you revert from travelling at a relative greater-than-light speed to a sub-light speed (you're going really fast).

At least, that's how i think it works.

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Hmm.....I blame LFL/Marvel/and everybody else who makes star wars for this confusion. They all give different stories for it. ARRGGHHH!!! Genghis, val, one of you get in here and try to explain this please.

EDIT: AHA! Quoted directly from TOS

Before entering hyperspace, a pilot must supply exact coordinates derived by the ship's navicomputer. Without precise calculations, a ship may collide with a body in hyperspace with catastrophic results.

So one would assume that you can collide with ships in hyperspace.

7. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    Hyperspace (i always thought) was distinct from, real space. So an object in hyperspace could pass through an object in real space, but a large gravity well can effect a ship in hyperspace by pulling it out.

How can a hyperdrive know the location of another ship i n hyperspace in order to aviod a collision with it? That would mean if a ship went in to hperspcae, it would be posible form some one to detect it in hyperspace and go afer it, and we see that this i not the case. Instead a vector is needeed to trace the direction the ship is going.

8. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Well I would suppose that's why they have navicomputers/astromechs, to calculate variables in space. I'm pretty sure that's what they do.

9. BobaFetts_Clone

May 12, 2001
    Even if they do calaculate EVERY variable, there is still a chance, especially with all the ships and especially around busy planets, that two hyperspace bodies collide....

Now, if each ship had an UNIQUE variation in their hyperspace frequency, they could ALL be in different levels of hyperspace. If hyperspace is a different dimension, then each ship to its own. The differences could be tiny (trillianths) allowing about the same conditions......

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Ok, this should help. From the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, page xiv-xv:

Hyperdrive

"Hyperdrive" is the miraculous technology which allows ships to enter the alternate dimension known as hyperspace and travel faster than the speed of light. Hyperdrive allows travel between the millions of settled worlds in the Empire.

Traveling in hyperspace can be quite dangerous--objects in our universe, or "realspace," produce "mass shadows" in hyperspace. Any ship stricking a mass shadow in hyperspace is instantly destroyed. Starships have navigational "nav computers" (also nicknamed "navicomputers") to calculate safe travel routes through hyperspace, taking the ship around stars, planets, stray asteroids, and other stellar hazards. Once a ship has entered hyperspace, it cannot change course.

Hyperdrives are rated by "classes"; the lower the class, the faster the hyperdrive. Class Three and higher hyperdrives are common on civilian ships. Most military ships have Class Two or Class One hyperdrives. Some exceptional ships, such as the Millennium Falcon or Dash Rendar's Outrider, have exceptionally fast Class 0.75 or Class 0.5 hyperdrives.

Ok, that is the whole write-up on the hyperdrive in the book. The reson for the roman numerals instead of more standard page numbers, for those who don't have the book, is due to the fact that the first several pages of the book are an introduction, a timeline, an understanding of termenology used in the book, and a listing of manufacturers. The entryies themselves use standard page numbers. Also, the Falcon is a Class 0.5 while the Outrider is a Class 0.75.

Now the following comes from WEG's Star Wars Roleplaying Game, pages 116-117:

Hyperdrives

Hyperdrives propel starships into an alternate dimension known at hyperspace, where it's possible to travel at many times the speed of light. Ships in hyperspace can cross incredible distances between stars in a few weeks, days, or even hours.

When a ship jumps to lightspeed, the hyperdrive motivator engages the hyperdrive. The ship rapidly accelerates to and beyond the speed of light while the ship crosses into hyperspace. (When a hyperdrive is deactivated, the ship automatically returns to realspace at the speed it had before the jump to lightspeed.)

Hyperspace is coterminous with realspace--if you head north in hyperspace, you are heading north in realspace. Objects in realspace have a hyperspace shadow--a presense in hyperspace at the same location.

This means that there's an inherent danger in travelling through hyperspace. Contact with an object's hyperspace shadow results in the instant destruction of the ship. (The object in real space remains undisturbed.) Starships have "mass shadow sensors" to detect hyperspace shadows and shut down the hyperdrive to avoid collision, although these systems are not entirely reliable. While deep space collisions are very rare, the also tend to be quite deadly.

Astrogators must plot safe paths around interstellar debris. Due to the incredible speeds achieved in hyperspace, the margin between safe passage and a collision is often only microseconds.

Yes, I know the very first sentence should have read an alternate dimension known as hyperspace. However, the quote is posted exactly as it appears in the book.

Both these quotes once more bring up what I mentioned about a ship in hyperspace shareing the same place as a ship in realspace. Two ships in realspace can not share the same place. But can a ship in hyperspace share the same space as a ship in realspace? While objects in realspace do create a shadow in hyperspace that proves dangerous to hypersapce travel, it doesn't seem that the same holds true for ships. An Interdictor Crusier's grav well generators create a shadow in hyperspace. But that is only when they are activated. So the question is left standing.

11. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Maybe the ships' mass is too small to pull another ship out of hyperspace...

Let's take an example. You're running. Suddenly you go through a wall of falling water. You are barely slowed down, but you go through without problem. Now suppose you go down a ramp into a pool. The massive amount of water reduces your speed greatly.

Maybe it's the same for ships mass shadow in hyperspace compared to planets mass shadow in hyperspace.

12. BobaFetts_Clone

May 12, 2001
    I was thinking along those lines as well. Everyhting has gravity, but the well it creates has to be significant enough yo effect the ship.

Plus, it stands to reasont that a ship in hyperspace can "pass through" a ship or another object in realspace, else every bit of space dust would rip the ship out of hyprespace or destroy it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.