main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Hindsight in Perspective - - Jedi Purge challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Healer_Leona , Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Rather short and not at all what it started to be nor what I meant it to be, but here it is anyway. Any inspriation is a good thing, thank you Lilith!

Hindsight: A matter of Perspective

Arrogant.

That?s what we were to have not seen this coming and been able to stop it or at least prepare for it. Rumors and tales of acts of aggression and animosity against the Jedi Order had been around since time immortal. Most, based largely on ignorance and fear were easy enough to rectify by simple contact with the Jedi. Others? those rare and malignant forces whose own agendas were in such contrast to the fair and peaceful way of the Order that they despised us, we would forever be unable to alter their way of thinking and so we ignored them.

Fools.

That?s what we were for believing no harm could come to us in this ivory tower we called home. For we were in the center of the galaxy, the very center of civilization. Where law was made and culture and manners sacred. War, death, even pestilence may have raged throughout the galaxy, but here on Coruscant enemies drank and cavorted together in the time honored dance of politics.

Deaf.

How else could we not have heard when the furtive whispers of discontent became the heated shouts of hatred. How the few quiet voices became the amassed crowd calling out for our blood.

Blind.

What else could we have been to have the very worst of the terror unleashed on being-kind come from within our own ranks. The very instrument of our demise lived with us, laughed with us, shared our hopes and dreams of peace and justice in the galaxy. Why could we not see the monster until it was poised to kill.

Bereaved.

That our numbers have been decimated and will continue to deteriorate as we?re hunted relentlessly, diabolically. Exterminated without remorse or mercy for the simple charge of drawing breath.

Resigned.

That my time is at hand and I will soon experience the phrase I myself have voiced often? There?s is no death, there is only the Force. I will not fear it, but nor will I allow it to be an easy task for those who follow the monster who lurks.

Hopeful.

Though darkness has come over the galaxy and evil is at the very hands of its reigns, I must still believe in the goodness of sentient beings and the capacity to battle and triumph over specter of corruption that now rules them.

2. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I like it a lot!! It's very evocative. It makes you think and I love that. You can really feel the narrator's regret and self-castigation. The Jedi are to blame fo their own downfall... That's a cool perspective you don't see often.

3. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    This is just so powerful to me Leona. I can't help but wonder why they didn't pick up on the signs earlier.

Fabulous!

4. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Very good. Great first-person narration . . . I liked it. :)

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow Leona!! That was brilliantly done! I really loved the imagery and everything here that you used -- well done!!

=D=

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I have to agree, brilliant! It was thought provoking and extremely well written! I think I'll go tear up what I started for this challenge. :(

Seriously, extremely well done! Loved it, loved it, loved it. And it was true, that is what made it so sad.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Lilith - Thanks. I really wasn't sure about this, eespecially as it wasn't what I planned to write.

Mouse-- Thanks! :D I agree about the wondering.

Nemesis - Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Layren - Okay, now I'm blushing. Thank you for such high praise.

VaderLVR - I think I'll go tear up what I started for this challenge. -- Don't you dare!!! How could it be anything but great!

8. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Wow, now that was original :D I liked your anonymous narrator, and the comprehensive way they looked back on the purge.

Very Jedi-Like ;)

9. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Very nice! I especially like the ending, that after all, there is always hope. :)

10. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Wow! That was definitely a goosebumb-story. I liked this part best:

For we were in the center of the galaxy, the very center of civilization. Where law was made and culture and manners sacred.

Very well done.

11. Nightsister

Nightsister Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2004
    Wow. What beautiful imagery. You could hear in the narrator's voice all those missed moments, those chances to have changed their fate if only they had not been so complacent.

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Lovely. I really liked the single words separating each paragraph. Made it seem like a heart beating. Well done.

13. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Uppers for the Challenge! :)

14. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    I agree with all the others, Healer_Leona - this was very good, and extremely thought-provoking. I again was left with the feeling that maybe, just maybe, something good could come out of this horror. :(

I've often thought along these lines, as to how the Jedi could have been so blind, so complacent, so arrogant for so long. [face_plain] But... is it really such a difficult trap to fall into? Theirs was a sacred institution that had stood for millennia - they were, as you phrased it, the center of the galaxy, of civilization itself. They would benevolently wield their power when it was needed, and they were cozy in their ivory tower - it never occurred to them to think that they could ever be in danger. I don't want to mention the specific example I'm thinking of for fear of offending someone, but I'm sure many others have drawn the same connection I have - the basic lesson being that arrogance is a danger, in any time, institution, or country. :(

Incredible job. [face_love]

For freedom. For justice. Viva la Rebellion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.