main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hindsight is 20-20: Oscar Ceremonies of the Past (Disc. 1977)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I normally don't post in this thread, since I've usually not seen enough of the films in the list, but apparently 1993 must have been a wonderful year for films, and I can find many of my favorite films in the list.

BEST PICTURE

The Fugitive
    In the Name of the Father
    The Piano
    The Remains of the Day
    Schindler?s List ? WINNER

Ohhh, it's a tough start. Schindler's list deserves it, but In the Name of the Father is very close behind. If you haven't seen it, go and and do it now. It's a totally heart-wrenching story, also based on a true story, but if Schindler's list is about a light in the darkness, In the Name of the Father is almost the opposite. The Fugitive is also a great film. I watched it just a few weeks again and could only say that it's still as good as when I first saw it.

I haven't seen The Piano and The Remains of the Day is on my "to see" list, but quite a bit down.

I would also have loved to see Much Ado about Nothing on the list. That is a masterpiece, and it even got a bunch of teenagers sitting at home watching Shakespeare for a couple of years.

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Daniel Day-Lewis ? In the Name of the Father
    Laurence Fishburne ? What?s Love Got To Do With It
    Tom Hanks ? Philadelphia ? WINNER
    Anthony Hopkins ? The Remains of the Day
    Liam Neeson ? Schindler?s List

Ohhh, another hard choice, I would probably have picked Daniel Day-Lewis or Liam Neeson though if I had to choose in 1994. To me Schindler's list isn't his best performance though.
    BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Angela Bassett ? What?s Love Got To Do With It
    Stockard Channing ? Six Degrees of Seperation
    Holly Hunter ? The Piano ? WINNER
    Emma Thompson ? The Remains of the Day
    Debra Winger ? Shadowlands

Can a throw a little love at Emma Thompson for another movie, namely Much Ado About Nothing in which she gets to fully showcase her capacity for dry wit and be perhaps as sexy as she?s ever been in any role as the sharp tongued, very ineligible Beatrice? And Karen Cartlidge and Lesley Sharp were both absolutely astounding in Naked, the former as a sexually needy masochist who ends the film in absolute brokenness and the latter as the one person who can actually connect on a human level with Thewlis? repugnant main character.

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Leonardo DiCaprio ? What?s Eating Gilbert Grape
    Ralph Fiennes ? Schindler?s List
    Tommy Lee Jones ? The Fugitive ? WINNER
    John Malkovich ? In the Line of Fire
    Pete Postlethwaite ? In the Name of the Father

Why a year with so many touch choices, when some years you can hardly find one winner? Ralph Fiennes should have had this one though, but at the same time Tommy Lee Jones had an Oscar-worthy performance, so in almost any other year he could have been a clear winner.

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Holly Hunter ? The Firm
    Anna Paquin ? The Piano ? WINNER
    Rosie Perez ? Fearless
    Winona Ryder ? The Age of Innocence
    Emma Thompson ? In the Name of the Father

No comments here, since I haven't seen anyone but Emma Thompson, and I think her best performance that year was in Much Ado about Nothing.

BEST DIRECTOR

Robert Altman ? Short Cuts
    Jane Campion ? The Piano
    James Ivory ? The Remains of the Day
    Jim Sheridan ? In the Name of the Father
    Steven Spielberg ? Schindler?s List ? WINNER

Probably the right winner here.

BEST MUSIC, ORIGINAL SONG

Again ? Poetic Justice
    The Day I Fall In Love ? Beethoven?s 2nd
    Philadelphia ? Philadelphia
    Streets of Philadelphia ? Philadelphia ? WINNER
    A Wink and a Smile ? Sleepless in Seattle

I seriously don't remember any of the songs but Streets of Philadelphia.

BEST MUSIC, ORIGINAL SCORE

The Age of Innocence ? Elmer Bernstein
    The Firm ? Dave Grusin
    The Fugitive ? James Newton Howard
    The Remains of the Day ? Richard Robbins
    Schindler?s List ? John Williams ? WINNER

I often find myself humming to the Schindler's list theme, so I can agree in that it is William's best score. I love it.

Of films that weren't nominated I would have loved to see a couple of nods to Much Ado about Nothing. I also think 1993/1994 (most of these films were rel

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    The Best Picture nod for The Fugitive really gets me.

It's a great film and totally deserved it. It's just sad to realize the film is lucky it came out when it did, because if it had come out in the last decade the Academy would have completely ignored it.

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    It's certainly a more surprising nominee, in the vein of The Towering Inferno. But I always like it when they do something like that. Provided the film is actually good, and not the kind of mainstream twaddle that secured Best Picture nominations for the most recent ceremony.

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    CEREMONY YEAR: 1994

BEST PICTURE

The Fugitive
    In the Name of the Father
    The Piano
    The Remains of the Day
    Schindler?s List ? WINNER

Okay, really BIG year. Let?s get started. First off, I?ve only seen The Fugitive and Schindler?s List of this roster. If had ten slots:

Carlito?s Way (a return to form for De Palma; a climax of absolute tragedy meeting absolute suspense)
    Farewell, My Concubine (astounding Chinese drama; forty years of history seen through the lens of two dysfunctional opera stars; a gripping, fascinating epic)
    The Fugitive (ripping good thriller)
    Gettysburg (historical war film, done as they should be done)
    Groundhog Day (still Murray?s funniest film? I think so)
    Jurassic Park (I can?t fathom them not nominating this; I mean, God!)
    Much Ado About Nothing (Branagh does one of Shakespeare?s comedies and, surprisingly, proves just as good at that as he is at the drama; energetic, vibrant, sparkling, above all, hilariously funny)
    Naked (descent into the abyss; mentally ill sexual predator roams London over a long weekend ? a more disturbing, hilarious, apocalyptic film you will perhaps never see) - WINNER
    Schindler?s List (gripping, horrifying drama that is only slightly overrated, quite an achievement)
    Shadowlands (more or less true story about C.S. Lewis, one of the great authors of all time, and his middle aged discovery of both love and loss; amazingly effecting film)

It has cut me to the quick to leave out Tombstone, an iconic breath of fresh, fairly non-ironic, air to the Western; Mrs. Doubtfire, one of the most consistently hilarious movies of the past twenty years; In the Line of Fire, a almost entirely perfect pulp thriller; and The Age of Innocence, Scorsese?s brilliant adaptation of Wharton?s equally brilliant novel.

Not Mrs. Doubtfire (gag); "In the Name of the Father" of those nom'd; "A Perfect World"; "Addams Family Values"

Daniel Day-Lewis ? In the Name of the Father
    Laurence Fishburne ? What?s Love Got To Do With It
    Tom Hanks ? Philadelphia ? WINNER
    Anthony Hopkins ? The Remains of the Day
    Liam Neeson ? Schindler?s List

Hanks is very good in Philadelphia and Neeson is the same in Schindler?s List. I think Hopkins performance of the year was in Shadowlands as C.S. Lewis, a personal hero of mine, wrestling with middle aged stirrings of love and then of devastation. Also, Al Pacino deserved a nomination for giving one of his rare late performances with no ham in it in Carlito?s Way; this is how he should have done The Godfather, Part III. Then there?s Leslie Cheung and Fengyi Zhang as the two leads in Farewell, My Concubine; I?m honestly unsure which of them has the harder part or which of them is more frigging transcendent. They both deserved nominations. And, if we can be lowbrow for a second, Robin Williams for Mrs. Doubtfire? If you won?t tumble for that, may I float Johnny Depp for Benny & Joon, not so much a performance as a feature length ballet; wrongheaded as the movie was, Depp was a delight.

But the winner this year for me is unapologetically and unquestionably David Thewlis for his harrowing, violent, twitchy performance in Naked. This is not just the best performance of its year, but one of the best film performances of all time. If you only know him from Harry Potter, do yourself a favor and check out Naked, in which he is a revelation.

Not Robin Williams, for godsakes. Neeson or Hopkins or Day-Lewis. Kevin Costner for "A Perfect World" (and you know what I generally think of him); Dennis Quaid in "Wilder Napalm" (though you need a different mind-set)

Angela Bassett ? What?s Love Got To Do With It
    Stockard Channing ? Six Degrees of Seperation
    Holly Hunter ? The Piano ? WINNER
    Emma Thompson ? The Remains of the Day
    Debra Winger ? Shadowlands

Can a throw a little love at Emma Thompson for another movie, namely Much Ado About Nothing in which she gets to fully showcase her capacity for dry wit and be perhaps as sexy as she?s ever been in any role as the sharp tongued, very ineligible Beatrice? And K

5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Elijah Wood gives one of the best child performances I've ever seen in "The Good Son", & though the film is awful, he says the crap dialogue like it's Shakespeare.

All of this is quite true, but you left out what stands out to me most about Elijah's performance. It is in sharp contrast to the performance of Macauley Culkin in that film who is one of the worst child actors in the history of show business. When the two perform together in the same frame it's like watching a really brilliant concert pianist playing Mozart next to an untalented beginner playing Chopsticks. I once read the director of that film fought a mighty battle to keep Culkin out of the film because he couldn't act. But the director lost because Culkin was such a big name. :oops:

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    What you say is also true, but this thread is about who deserves an Oscar, not a Razzie. And yes, I would say "The Good Son" put paid to Culkin's career; he could memorize dialogue but couldn't *say* it, and the contrast was painful. I've seen adult actors perform miracles with silly dialogue, but rarely--okay never--a child one.

Ironically, Culkin's daddy dearest demanded the role for him and got it, thinking to expand his range, no doubt. Not realizing that he *has* no range.

7. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Oof. I've never seen any of Culkin's films, and this little nugget pretty much settles that question for me.

Having just seen Inception over the weekend, I'm inclined to think Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be one of the biggest child-star-turned-credible-adult-actor successes Hollywood's ever seen. Isn't he about the same age as Culkin?

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I don't know. But yes, he's good. He was good as a kid, and he's good as adult.

9. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I dunno, I would think Leonardo DiCaprio has already claimed that honour. And possibly Jodi Foster.

(in regards to age, that's correct - Gordon-Levitt is 29 and Culkin is 30)

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I'd say Elizabeth Taylor, actually...

Christian Bale would be another contender, I although I know the "credible" part seems to be a point of contention in regards to him. For whatever reason.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I haven't seen much of Bale's stuff as a child, but I think he's one of the best actors working right now. He's entirely credible as far as I'm concerned.

12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Oh, agreed entirely. I just know that's not quite a universal viewpoint. :p

Whatever Empire of the Sun's flaws might be, I find Bale to be extraordinary there. Almost nuanced.

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I didn't like the movie, but it certainly wasn't his fault; the only time I saw a hesitation was when Spielberg asked him to do something that the script called for but felt wrong, like the "I surrender' scenes. A really remarkable performance by a child. However, I don't think he was a 'child star'.

What struck me about Wood's performance in "The Good Son" was the genuine feeling he got into it. He had the less effective part, and used it to wipe the floor with the wooden Culkin.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I haven't seen The Good Son. But I've seen the trailer, fairly recently, and I have to admit that Wood blew me away even in the trailer. He seems to actually understand all the emotional and spiritual import of the film (or that the film wanted to have anyway).

15. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    GIANT HINT>>>><<<<!!!!

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
  17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Singing="I'm getting out the cattle prods, I'm heating them twice; Gonna find out who's naughty or nice..."[/singing]

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    CEREMONY YEAR: 1960

BEST PICTURE

Anatomy of a Murder
    Ben-Hur ? WINNER
    The Diary of Anne Frank
    The Nun?s Story
    Room at the Top

The very first thing one says here is that North By Northwest should have been nominated and probably should have won. The second thing is that Some Like It Hot should have been too. Ben-Hur probably deserves its nomination, but I don?t know if it deserved the win. I?d love to have seen Last Train From Gun Hill, a dark, suspenseful film noir by way of the western, nominated.

Laurence Harvey ? Room at the Top
    Charlton Heston ? Ben-Hur ? WINNER
    Jack Lemmon ? Some Like It Hot
    Paul Muni ? The Last Angry Man
    James Stewart ? Anatomy of a Murder

Lemmon probably should have won this one. Heston is better than usual in Ben-Hur, probably his second best performance after Planet of the Apes. Cary Grant deserved a nomination for North By Northwest. And Kirk Douglas deserved a nomination for his turn as an obsessed, vengeance seeking lawman in Last Train From Gun Hill.

Doris Day ? Pillow Talk
    Audrey Hepburn ? The Nun?s Story
    Katharine Hepburn ? Suddenly, Last Summer
    Simone Signoret ? Room at the Top ? WINNER
    Elizabeth Taylor ? Suddenly, Last Summer

Actually, it?s kind of great to see Doris Day nominated for a comedic role in such a light, fun film. Eva Marie-Saint probably deserved a nom for North By Northwest.

Hugh Griffith ? Ben-Hur ? WINNER
    Arthur O?Connell ? Anatomy of a Murder
    George C. Scott ? Anatomy of a Murder
    Robert Vaughn ? The Young Philadelphians
    Ed Wynn ? The Diary of Anne Frank

Stephen Boyd gave the best performance in Ben-Hur, a vicious, seething, homo-erotically repressed villain; he probably should have won this year. Griffith was funny, but the performance is mostly schtick. James Mason deserved at least a nomination for his own villainous performance in North By Northwest, a performance that set the template for every Bond villain to come after him. Also, it would have been nice to see Tony Curtis get a nomination at least for Some Like It Hot, in which he does a riotiously funny Cary Grant impression. Other possibilities: Martin Landau for a minimal, incredibly creepy turn as an obviously homosexual villain in North By Northwest; Joe E. Brown as the irrepresible millionaire in Some Like It Hot; Orson Welles as the flamboyant Clarence Darrow figure from Compulsion.

Hermione Baddeley ? Room at the Top
    Susan Kohner ? Imitation of Life
    Juanita Moore ? Imitation of Life
    Thelma Ritter ? Pillow Talk
    Shelley Winters ? The Diary of Anne Frank ? WINNER

Thelma Ritter probably should have won for this. And for every other movie she?s ever been in.

BEST DIRECTOR

Jack Clayton ? Room at the Top
    George Stevens ? The Diary of Anne Frank
    Billy Wilder ? Some Like It Hot
    William Wyler ? Ben-Hur ? WINNER
    Fred Zinnemann ? The Nun?s Story

Wyler does a fantastic job with Ben-Hur. If it weren?t for Hitchcock?s North By Northwest being this year, Wyler would be the obvious winner. As it stands, Hitchcock should have got this.

The Best of Everything ? The Best of Everything
    The Five Pennies ? The Five Pennies
    The Hanging Tree ? The Hanging Tree
    High Hopes ? A Hole In the Head ? WINNER
    Strange Are the Ways of Love ? The Young Land

I?ve heard only the winner, which isn?t bad.

BEST MUSIC, SCORING OF A MUSICAL PICTURE

The Five Pennies ? Leith Stevens
    Li?l Abner ? Nelson Riddle, Joseph J. Lilley
    Porgy & Bess ? Andre Previn, Ken Darby ? WINNER
    Say One For Me ? Lionel Newman
    Sleeping Beauty ? George Bruns

It?s refreshing to see Sleeping Beauty nominated; animated it is, but Bruns? Tchaikovsky pastiche is indeed marvelous. I wouldn?t have minded to see it win, actually.

BEST MUSIC, SCORING OF A DRAMATIC OR COMEDY PICTURE

Ben-Hur ? Miklos Rozsa ? WINNER
    The Diary of Anne Frank ? Alfred Newma

19. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    An impressive battery of nominations, particularly for Best Picture. North by Northwest is my favourite of that year, but it's not an Oscar film of any stripe.

That being said, this year does hold one of the most eyebrow-raising decisions in the Academy's history: Pillow Talk winning of the likes of The 400 Blows, North by Northwest, and Wild Strawberries.

20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    BEST PICTURE

Anatomy of a Murder
    Ben-Hur ? WINNER
    The Diary of Anne Frank
    The Nun?s Story
    Room at the Top

I enjoy "Ben-Hur" and all that, but I would never describe it as a great movie, or anything. "Anatomy" and "The Nun's Story" are both decent movies, as is "Room at the Top". "The Diary of Anne Frank" is just plain misguided. Yes, "North by Northwest" and "Some Like it Hot" should have been nominated. And what about "Rio Bravo"?

Laurence Harvey ? Room at the Top
    Charlton Heston ? Ben-Hur ? WINNER
    Jack Lemmon ? Some Like It Hot
    Paul Muni ? The Last Angry Man
    James Stewart ? Anatomy of a Murder

Lemmon or Grant. Or Curtis. Or Alec Guinness in "Our Man in Havana"

Doris Day ? Pillow Talk
    Audrey Hepburn ? The Nun?s Story
    Katharine Hepburn ? Suddenly, Last Summer
    Simone Signoret ? Room at the Top ? WINNER
    Elizabeth Taylor ? Suddenly, Last Summer

Eva Marie Saint, Hepburn, or Signoret.

Hugh Griffith ? Ben-Hur ? WINNER
    Arthur O?Connell ? Anatomy of a Murder
    George C. Scott ? Anatomy of a Murder
    Robert Vaughn ? The Young Philadelphians
    Ed Wynn ? The Diary of Anne Frank

Rogue, the Romans didn't repress it; they practiced it openly. Boyd isn't any hell, IMO. Gore Vidal claims he introduced this into the script (and that they didn't dare tell Heston. I doubt it. Sounds a fake story to me.) Lots of better performances in this category this year: Scott is excellent is "Anatomy" as is the un-nominated Ben Gazzara; Dean Martin is very good in "Rio Bravo"; Pernell Roberts gives a very good performances in "Ride Lonesome"; Mason and Landau are both fine in "North by Northwest"; Tony Randall is fine in "Pillow Talk"; or Peter Finch in "The Nun's Story"; or Joe E. Brown.

Hermione Baddeley ? Room at the Top
    Susan Kohner ? Imitation of Life
    Juanita Moore ? Imitation of Life
    Thelma Ritter ? Pillow Talk
    Shelley Winters ? The Diary of Anne Frank ? WINNER

Ritter. Or Lee Remick in "Anatomy". Or Carolyn Jones in "Last Train from Gun Hill"

BEST DIRECTOR

Jack Clayton ? Room at the Top
    George Stevens ? The Diary of Anne Frank
    Billy Wilder ? Some Like It Hot
    William Wyler ? Ben-Hur ? WINNER
    Fred Zinnemann ? The Nun?s Story

Billy Wilder or Alfred Hitchcock.

The Best of Everything ? The Best of Everything
    The Five Pennies ? The Five Pennies
    The Hanging Tree ? The Hanging Tree
    High Hopes ? A Hole In the Head ? WINNER
    Strange Are the Ways of Love ? The Young Land

Only know the winner.

BEST MUSIC, SCORING OF A MUSICAL PICTURE

The Five Pennies ? Leith Stevens
    Li?l Abner ? Nelson Riddle, Joseph J. Lilley
    Porgy & Bess ? Andre Previn, Ken Darby ? WINNER
    Say One For Me ? Lionel Newman
    Sleeping Beauty ? George Bruns

Dunno.

BEST MUSIC, SCORING OF A DRAMATIC OR COMEDY PICTURE

Ben-Hur ? Miklos Rozsa ? WINNER
    The Diary of Anne Frank ? Alfred Newman
    The Nun?s Story ? Franz Waxman
    On the Beach ? Ernest Gold
    Pillow Talk ? Frank De Vol

Not my department.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    CEREMONY YEAR: 1997

BEST PICTURE

The English Patient ? WINNER
    Fargo
    Jerry Maguire
    Secrets & Lies
    Shine

The best thing about The English Patient was the episode of Seinfeld spoofing it; Elaine squirms in agony as Peterman brokenly sobs, ?I thought I knew what love was!? Jerry Maguire is surprisingly great and Shine is a great little biopic, elevated by above average direction and Rush?s astounding performance. Fargo is the best of this slate, however.

If we could expand the slate to ten, I?d make room for Sling Blade, a surprisingly brilliant and nuanced little thriller/drama. The Rock is a superlative, epic thriller that has held up almost perfectly. And The Birdcage is one of the four or five funniest movies of the nineties and one of the few American remakes to utterly exceed the original. Sayles? Southwestern Gothic Lone Star probably deserved a nomination. It pains me to admit that De Palma?s sleek, stylish, spy thriller Mission: Impossible isn?t quite good enough for a nom, near to perfect though it is. Also, Branagh?s Hamlet is the definitive version of the greatest play of all time; I think that means it deserves a nomination for Best Picture.

Tom Cruise ? Jerry Maguire
    Ralph Fiennes ? The English Patient
    Woody Harrelson ? The People Vs. Larry Flynt
    Geoffrey Rush ? Shine ? WINNER
    Billy Bob Thornton ? Sling Blade

It?s hard to quibble with a performance as brilliant as Rush in Shine; Thornton?s performance in Sling Blade is perhaps the more remarkable, however, since Rush is consistently excellent and Thornton is rarely as good as he was in Sling Blade. Cruise, believe it or not, actually deserved a nomination; he was very good in Jerry Maguire.

A few other options

Nathan Lane for one of the most finely tuned comic performances of all time in The Birdcage
    Sean Connery for bringing the badass back in The Rock, or, alternatively,
    Nicolas Cage for a twitchy, neurotic, completely brilliant performance in the same film
    Michael Keaton for his brilliantly funny quadruple role as a harried family man and his clones in Multiplicity
    Al Pacino for his brilliantly ironic and hilarious performance as a ham (and hamfisted) actor wrestling with Shakespeare?s Richard III in Looking for Richard; some people say this is a documentary ? I say it?s one of the best comedies of its year.
    Mel Gibson as the grieving and increasingly unhinged father of a kidnapped child in Howard?s quite wonderful little thriller, Ransom

Brenda Blethyn ? Secrets & Lies
    Diane Keaton ? Marvin?s Room
    Frances McDormand ? Fargo ? WINNER
    Kristin Scott Thomas ? The English Patient
    Emily Watson ? Breaking the Waves

A breath of fresh air, McDormand?s win was and one of the best decisions Oscar has made in my lifetime. No quibbles here.

Except . . . subtle it wasn?t, but subtle it shouldn?t have been: Glenn Close deserved a nomination for her fearless, scenery chewing, maniacal, explosive performance as Cruella De Vil in the live action 101 Dalmations. If only the rest of the movie had lived up to her. Also, with this slate, I?m not sure why they couldn?t make a little room for Renee Zellwegger for Jerry Maguire; she was definitely better than Cuba Gooding Jr. and he won an Oscar!

Cuba Gooding Jr. ? Jerry Maguire ? WINNER
    William H. Macy ? Fargo
    Armin Mueller-Stahl ? Shine
    Edward Norton ? Primal Fear
    James Woods ? Ghosts of Mississippi

I?m about half sure that Macy should have been nominated under the Lead Actor category. These are all good performances; Woods is hammy as hell, but what do we pay James Woods for? Of these, probably Norton?s is the best.

But there were a lot of wonderful performances overlooked this year.

Steve Buscemi for a legitimately supporting role as a hot-headed, idiotic criminal in Fargo
    Harve Presnell as a ramrod hardass (also an idiot) in Fargo
    Hank Azaria as the preening houseboy in The Birdcage, as great a piece of slap

22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Apart from Doyle (who should have won for this and possibly Henry V), I'd say that Branagh's Hamlet had no business being anywhere near the Oscars, let alone that it was snubbed. Branagh's nomination in Best Adapted Screenplay is quite amusing.

I dislike AMPAS's slate for the most part, with the exceptions of Fargo and Secrets & Lies. Looking for Richard might be my favourite film of that year though - marvelously entertaining and packed with variety.

I hate The English Patient with a passion. Jerry Maguire is decent, but not among the year's best. I don't take to Jan Sardi's Shine structure at all, let alone that Noah Taylor is probably doing more in that film than Geoffrey Rush. But it made the awesome Armin Mueller-Stahl an Oscar nominee, so I forgive it.

I'd also give Hard Eight a look in, especially for Phillip Baker Hall in Best Actor. The People vs. Larry Flynt is also quite solid, I like the Harrelson nod.

John Williams' nomination for Sleepers is embarassing. It's his most cloying, inappropriate score, and it actually spoils the film (which isn't very good to start with).

As bizarre as it might seem, I'd probably nominate Henry Czerny for Mission: Impossible. He is the life-blood of that film, far and away the most entertaining thing in it.

The Birdcage is hilarious. I'd probably have given it some love in the acting categories. Put Hank Azaria next to Henry Czerny in Best Supporting, which would be great fun.

Bottle Rocket, although probably my least favourite Wes Anderson film, wouldn't have gone astray in Best Original Screenplay.

I'm pleased by Emily Watson's nomination, but a matching nom for Stellan Skarsgard from Breaking the Waves would have been great.

Actually, I just remembered who might have been even better than Paddy Doyle, score wise: Alan Menken. The Hunchback of Notre Dame might be ruined by those damn gargoyles (it's impressive filmmaking otherwise), but the score is amazing. "Hellfire" should have won Best Song. But then, Menken already had 9000 Oscars.

Santa with Muscles deserved to sweep the board.

Shove Robert Carlyle into the Best Supporting Actor lineup for Trainspotting as well. Along with Kelly Macdonald in Supporting Actress.

Not really a good year overall, though.

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm still upset that Michael Collins didn't get any nominations that year. Liam Neeson should have had a best actor nomination, and Alan Rickman at least a nomination for best supporting actor.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Migod, I loved Hamlet. It's one of my top ten movies! I suppose our Shakespearean tastes are flipped in opposition then! :p Looking for Richard is indeed incredibly entertaining. Silly, but entertaining.

And Henry Czerny for Mission: Impossible? That is the kind of wacky idea I usually come up with. Bravo!

25. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Well... I'm guessing that we both like Branagh's Henry V and Much Ado About Nothing.

Actually, Branagh's Henry V is one of the select few Shakespearean films that I'd deem essential.