main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Hingis] Straight down the line FTL

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by George_Roper, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Hingis admits positive drug test and retires

Martina Hingis has retired from tennis after revealing she tested positive for cocaine at this year's Wimbledon.

The Swiss star denied ever taking drugs and said the accusations against her were "horrendous and monstrous".

"I have tested positive, but I have never taken drugs and I feel 100% innocent," said the 27-year-old former world number one in a statement

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    lol @ athletes denying they took drugs after their tests proved otherwise.

3. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    lol @ tests, which are more often than we think inaccurate.

4. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This was quite a shock when I heard it - she was one of the last people I thought would have been a drug taker. That said, it doesn't look good when you retire from a sport even though you say you're innocent.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Exactly. If she's perfectly innocent and this is an atrocious accusation, why retire suddenly at the age of 27?

6. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    well 27 in Tennis isn't very young especially in Women's tennis, but even so she has on a nice comback and was playing well, it wasn't like she was running out of game.

7. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    Because:

1) 27 may be young for you, but not for tennis players
    2) She had already retired once, so this was her comeback run.

She wasn't hugely successful, so she had to see that she wasn't going anywhere great this time around.

8. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Or perhaps the truth about her is better kept out of the spotlight and retiring would be the easy way out?

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Well one also has to consider that when she was younger, in her first go around, she had quite the reputation. She was often called the female John McEnroe. And this was back before positive drug tests carried such stiff penalties.

10. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    That may be case for other athletes, but I don't think she made it any easier by re-retiring. It seemed that she gave in to the accusations, even if she said she didn't take the drugs. If she had stood through it all and not backed down, it would look as if she truly has nothing to hide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.