JCC Hipsters

Discussion in 'Community' started by imperial_dork, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    Hipsters are such hipsters that they'll only use the term "hipster" ironically :p
  2. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    Not sure I've ever really understood what it means to be a "hipster", though I used to consider myself somewhat "hip" :D IMHO, the problem is that so many things these days that were once considered "hip" are now mainstream (i.e., Starbucks coffee shops), so being a "hipster" doesn't mean as much as it used to. But this type of thing has been going on for years:

For example, I was in college in the early to mid-'90's, and, at that time, I really enjoyed listening to local radio stations that played what was then called "alternative/progressive" music from musicians/bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Matthew Sweet, Radiohead, etc., as well as lesser known groups like The Tragically Hip, EMF, Soul Asylum, Catherine Wheel, Belly, Billy Bragg, Hole, etc. As everyone knows, some (though not all) of these bands became hugely popular. - so, when they became popular & many people started listening to them, were they still considered "alternative", or "hip"?!

One of my all-time favorite comedies is "The Big Lewboski" (1998), an at-one-time obscure film that is arguably "hip". However, I became a fan several years after it came out, at a time when a lot of others were discovering this. So, it wasn't really "hip" anymore when I first started watching it...

And, since I'm such a huge Star Wars fan & since Star Wars is so popular, I guess I'm really not "hip"...

After doing some research, I found out that the term "hipster" actually originated in the 1940's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(contemporary_subculture)

Here's another interesting link:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?47117-What-the-F-is-a-Hipster-Anyway

Alright, I have to go and drink my Starkbucks Vanilla Mocha Non-fat Whip-cream Chocolate-sprinkled Latte, listen to Radiohead, and try to discover (or re-discover) my inner "hipness".....
    Last edited by Blur, Mar 14, 2013
  3. George Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yeah, the Hip rule!
  4. Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost

star 4
    I hated Radiohead before it wasn't cool.
    eht13 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
  6. Son of a Bith Force Ghost

star 4
  7. Spider-Fan Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm assuming you aren't Canadian.
  8. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    Nope, but I am a fan of TTH, especially their song New Orleans is sinking..
    Last edited by Blur, Mar 14, 2013
  9. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    You're not a hipster, sweetie. You're a dork, true and tried. [:D]
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  10. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    I feel like grabbing the mason jar they're drinking out of and busting it and stabbing all of their Bukowski books with the shards...
    Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I'm not a true hipster. I don't own a typewriter. :(
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  12. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    somebody called me a hipster today because i posted a picture to instagram :(
  13. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    i kicked a hipster in the balls today. his pants were so tight i had no problem identifying the ideal spot for my foot to impact. afterwards, i apologized and helped him up. then i kicked him again (in the BALLS).
    mrsvos likes this.
  14. Zapdos Force Ghost

star 5
    Isn't that the opposite of being hipster?
  15. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    It means you have awful taste, at least.
  16. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    just kidding i would never do that. i do not dislike hipsters that much, as they are basically a specialized breed of nerd/geek. i think i already said that in here but i'm just going to repeat it anyway. so yeah i PUNCHED him in the balls. did the johnny cage thing, you know.
  17. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    Well it doesn't help that it was a picture of a record I was listening to. But still.
  18. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    what record was it? i can tell you if their accusation was justified or not.
  19. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Hahaha

It was an Arcade Fire record, wasn't it?
  20. Zapdos Force Ghost

star 5
    That's more wipster than hipster
  21. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    if it was arcade fire, you would not be a very good hipster, as that band is pretty much passé at this point in their eyes.
  22. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Sorry, first band I could think of. Forgot that they won a Grammy and became un-cool.
    PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  23. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    no need to apologize. bands can become passé within the space of a few months with these people. it is very difficult to stay on the crest of that wave unless you are totally committed.
  24. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    What he said.
  25. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    The best hipster bands don't have names, they just a bunch of over privleged buskers in a train station. And their name is not Sanjaia.
  26. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    @harpuah: Would that apply to facial hair as well? :p
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Mar 15, 2013