main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph His Dark Materials

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    what about the Prof? I would love to see Christian Bale - but who knows if he is up for another large role with Batman being filmed soon... I can see him as the intelligent, smart conviving Prof.

then there is the mom - who to put in that role. Hopefully they won't go with Kate Beckinsale... maybe someone

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The Professor? Lyra's father? I would have thought someone older.

3. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    her father... who do you think...

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It's been about two years since I've read the books, so I'm a little rusty on the characters. In that case, not Christian Bale- too young. Someone older.

5. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    same here... maybe its time for a reread in the near future.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    That's what I've been thinking...

7. Obi-Kris_Kenobi

Obi-Kris_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2002
    Well, my cast ideas are a bit outdated, but here it goes:

Lord Azriel -- Pierce Brosnan
    Lady Coultier -- Cathrine Zeta Jones
    Lee -- Billy Bob Thorton
    And Ian McDiarmid as Lord Boreal :cool:

8. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    hum... I was just looking at the imdb.com page for the Golden Compass and it states that Philip Pullman wants Nicole Kidman for Mrs. Coulter... you know I would love Cathering Z but when I read that I can see her in my mind as Kidman - and Kidman can play cold oh so well...

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I can't see either of them in the role, and I was picturing someone a little more dignified than Brosnan As Lord Ariel.

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I can see Nichole Kidman, but please, no huge big named actors. Kind of like what they did with Lord of the Rings. Actor hype is never as good as story hype.

11. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    The movies just wont be as good as the books. Thats all.

12. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    Okay not Kidman but someone with the same persona I think would work... but I agree smaller names - course for me LOTR was chockfull of big names for me - crush on Sean Astin growing up, Viggo since GI Jane, Jonathon Rhys-Davis, Elijah Wood...

but then they weren't as big as some other actors that were thankfully not in it

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I actually didn't know many of the actors - I don't think that they could be considered A list ones.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I didn't know any of the actors the first time I watched LOTR, but it certainly shot Orlando Bloom to fame, and Viggo didn't do too bad.

I don't want to know any (or at least very few) actors in these movies.

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I'd like to know some of the actors, although not A listers. People who can really stand to gain some good attention on their acting skills alone, not what they've already done.

16. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm excited about the movie just because it will bring his books into the main stream - the boxed set of the trilogy is one of my fav. handsells during the holidays!

17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The books are pretty mainstream - especially over here in the UK.

18. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Yep, here in UK most people know/have read/have an opinion on them. Pullman's pretty popular.

Casting . . . casting . . . I think they'd do well to follow the same model as LOTR. Have maybe one big name (like Ian McKellen in LOTR) to anchor the cast (but make damn sure they can actually act as well as being famous) and fill the other parts with people who are good but only semi-famous. Character actors, basically - the people who've been in a million and one things, and been good, but who nobody ever remembers the names of.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    McKellen would be good for the professor or someone.

The books are actually surprisingly popular in the US (at least where I'm from). Several people in my (quite small) middle-school class had read them, and these aren't people who would normally read fantasy.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I had a thought--what about Sean Bean as Lord Ariel? He was Boromir in LotR, Odysseus in Troy . . . I think he'd be pretty good. I like his work quite a bit, and he's not A-list famous.

21. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Hey there, everyone, just checking back in now that I'm online again!

Cast list - well I always thought Nicole Kidman would be great as Mrs. Coulter. And even before Star Wars I had Asriel cast as Liam Neeson or someone like him. Sean Bean is an interesting idea.

Who do you think should voice Iorek? And will he have a wacky Swedish accent? [face_worried]

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Someone with a deep voice. James Earl Jones maybe, but thetn everyone might think that he's DV in a bear suit 8-}

23. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    hum, Iorek - who was the guy from the Green Mile? He has an amazing voice... but I can see them going with a russian accented voice.

I like the idea of Sean Bean - he is an amazing actor! But looks like a rumor of Jason Issacs is going around. He seems too cold to me but maybe because he plays Lucius Malfoy and putting him in ANOTHER film with a simiular audience as HP would be weird.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    OOooo, he would be PERFECT!!!! I love him as Malfoy. Change my mind, Sean Bean takes second place.

25. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Jason Isaacs as Lord Asriel would be perfect. He can certainly play detached and cold, as we saw from Malfoy, and Asriel does have that kind of attitude. His research and his personal crusade (or whatever you'd like to call it) take precedence over pretty much everything. Very clever. Slightly mad. Yeah, I think Isaacs could do it . . .

Iorek needs an Eastern/Northern European accent; going by where Novaya Zembla actually is, the bears would speak with a Finnish or Russian accent depending on who they'd learnt their English from. As for who could play him, I've no clue. Just giving a polar bear the screen presence, and gravity, of a major cast member is going to be extremely hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.