main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends His Master's Blade (JA, Q/O, OCs) - *one-shot*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Title: His Master's Blade
    Author: P_A
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: OCs Galore, Q/O (but they're present in a way I can't explain)
    Genre: General, Musings
    Summary: An evening of relaxation turns out to be an eye-opener for several of Obi-Wan's age-mates.

His Master's Blade

"He hates it, I tell you," said Irja Him'Meth. "He's not really fond of these gatherings."

"Why shouldn't he be, I ask you?" cut in Prendus Ge. "We're his age-mates. We've all practically grown up together. Why should we follow one path, and him another?" His tone was half curious, half irritated. "Besides, Jedi do not hate, Meth." He grinned.

"If you ask me, the poor boy doesn't have a choice," came a low murmur from Adre Itdge, half slouching on a set a little further away, long legs crossed. "It isn't as though he's his own master. Under the thumb of the maverick, is our poor Obi-Wan, always."

"And we're all free day-birds, I assume."

A smile twisted the corner of Adre's mouth. "Free day-birds, yes. Some at night as well."

Two or three snorts accompanied this grave statement. Four female padawans, who had sitting a table away, turned their attention towards them. "Ah, now we get to listen to the secrets."

"The secret life of Adre Itdge?" asked Garen Muln, sauntering into the room. "I doubt we'd find that very interesting. He smiled as he looked around - old friends, all of them - and sat down in a chair that was nearest. The room was cool and inviting, with comfortable seats and tables, subdued lighting, and the promise of refreshments to come. One wall was a huge window embrasure, opening out onto the twinkling sky-lanes and night scene of Coruscant.

"Forget secret lives. Why isn't the little Perfect Padawan with you? Has he decided that our company is a little too crass to indulge in? Or has the towering Master Jinn locked him up in his room?" Adre's voice could have an almost insulting edge to it, even when his face betrayed none of it, Garen mused.

"He doesn't deserve to be talked about that way, you know," Garen replied, smiling. "Obi-Wan doesn't think anything of the kind."

"You would say that, wouldn't you? You and your quartet. Never give each other away, do you?" drawled Prendus. "Very touching. Where's that flabby friend of yours, by the way? Has he eaten himself into the Force?"

Garen's lips smiled, but there was a thin line between his forehead. "He's gone on a mission, as you well know. He left a week ago."

"Ah, let him be, Prendus," came Ler's musical voice. "They've only been back for a week. And wonder of wonders, haven't come back in bits of flesh and bone. You ought to be thankful."

"Why would I?" Prendus's face set into a near scowl. He hadn't been on a mission in three weeks, and his impatience rippled out like wave, through the Force. "Lucky kaft."

He caught Irja's frown - Irja was something of a mentor to him, even if he was only a year older, and relaxed into a grin. "My idea of a joke. I grudge young Obi-Wan nothing."

"Here's Bant Eerin," said Adre." Hello, my fishy friend." His tone was almost insolent, but Bant took no offence. The Mon Calamarian girl, like everyone else their age, was only too aware that Adre's insolence usually meant nothing. Not among friends, anyway. She gave a chortle, held her right hand up, and sat down.

"Back at you, Adre," she sniffed, her silver eyes glowing. "Haven't you anything better to do?"

"Nothing better than asking after your quartet's health. This is a relaxed gathering, Bant, and the mind and body must relax when necessary, as our masters are so quick to inform us."

"Listening to your elders, are you?"

"And moaning that Obi-Wan's considers us all beneath his notice," piped up Neira Bott. "That so, Eerin?"

"Nothing of the sort. You know he could come if he were home. He has, before."

"Once or twice. And the dratted boy's away for months on end."

"High profile missions, my dear, require high profile padawans," murmured Adre. "We're small fry and donâ??t matter."

ClaudiaR likes this.
  2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! I really liked that! It was a very unique piece and the feeling of a real conversation! Bravo!

"And moaning that Obi-Wan's considers us all beneath his notice," piped up Neira Bott. "That so, Eerin?"

"Nothing of the sort. You know he could come if he were home. He has, before."

"Once or twice. And the dratted boy's away for months on end."

"High profile missions, my dear, require high profile padawans," murmured Adre. "We're small fry and donâ??t matter."

Garen and Bant looked at each other. "There's no question of small fry or anything else," Garen said, in a low voice. "It's what the Council decides - you know that."

"Even destiny picks out the choicest missions for them, doesn't it?"

"They've gone on their share of easy missions." Garen didn't exactly know when he'd turned into the defender of the Jinn/Kenobi team - but now that he had, he was quite prepared to go ahead with it.

"I think I'll go and see what's holding up Obi-wan," said Bant, rising.

"Do," said Adre cordially. "It's probably his obi and tabards, but I'd like confirmation anyway."

[face_laugh]

Incredible work, as always. =D=

3. JediLiberator

JediLiberator Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2004
    Neat little story. Good Job!

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Wow! Stupendous.

Neira spoke slowly. "Nothing happens without a reason, you know? Maybe that's why Obi-Wan was apprenticed to Master Jinn. Maybe his destiny wills it. If you're able to follow legends ... maybe it's because you have the makings of a legend yourself."

Everyone fell silent as the implications of her words sank in.

And that sums it all up nicely.

It's nice to see our favorite Jedi from the perspective of others.

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Great job with the language and the give-and-take of conversation. Love that they finally realized that the perfect Padawan wasn't so perfect and yet he was willing to go into hell for Qui-Gon's approval.

Love the banter. Wonderful. =D=

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Excellent exposé of Obi-Wan and Master Jinn.
    It is what people do when they sit around socially.

Nice story.=D=

7. mari4212

mari4212 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2006
    Very interesting perspective!

I'll echo what VaderLVR64 said, this did feel like a real conversation between the original characters.

Nice job, and I enjoyed it a lot.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    An amazing viggie P_A. How realistic of these padawans sitting around and discussing, ack, gossiping about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

You were talking about Master Jinn," Oriel reminded them.

"Yes. Well. I was watching them both - and do you remember when Master Windu announced that he was the fourth judge? I was watching Master Jinn. And there was a look in his eyes - it's a little hard to describe."

He paused.

"You know - I really felt like I could have jumped across whole seas and oceans and won every single lightsabre competition, in that moment. I'd have done anything - to have him look like that at me."

"You'd have surrendered the whole galaxy and something else at his feet, wouldn't you?" Adre murmured.

Irja looked surprised. "Yes. That's how I'd describe it. Something about him - that makes you want to - to be your best. To earn his respect, you know?" he shrugged. "I wouldn't trade my master for anything - but Jinn ..." he stopped.

That will leave me smiling for days. :D :D :D

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh! Jedi padawans dishing on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan??? Haha! I bet there's nothing in the Jedi Code about gossiping. :D

10. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    "I've seen it too. Never misses a class, session or instruction hour. And such a studied air of composure. Really, he drives me mad. I quite tire of watching the boy being so blasted polite."

"The Perfect Padawan," mimicked Adre.

[face_laugh] That's our Obi-Wan, all right.

There's just something I love about seeing our favourite Jedi Padawans through the eyes of their peers. Wonderfully written, P_A. =D=

11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Liked it and have read all your stories and they are great too.

12. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    "It's probably his obi and tabards, but I'd like confirmation anyway."

[face_laugh] I also liked how Garen sauntered in. :*

I loved this - so honest and real. Just like a bunch of high school kids gossiping about a friend before he shows up. "Can you believe he has an A+ in calc?!" :p

13. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Beautiful work. Wow, I just love everything you write. :) This has . . . such an air of reality to it, you know? I can really hear them, gossiping like that. Somehow a different perspective like this one makes canon seem to rotate, so you can see it from a different direction, a new angle, and that's what this fic did for me. Incredible job ;).

14. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    I was sure I had already posted something in this story!

But apparently I haven't XD

I love how you weave your stories together so that even if they are

not one sole unit they are all connected and this point of view from a 3rd party is always a nice way to see how they are seen, especially in this case since it is by their peers... to see their perspective is refreshing... The mention of the Adel Ga�´ra tournament was great... that story is a favorite of mine!

as is most of your work incidentally ...

I like the differing points of view on how Qui-Gon is as a master and how the four friends stick up for each other, defending their friends from the banter...

The part about returning in bits of flesh and bones was great... for once they could do it!

"High profile missions, my dear, require high profile padawans," murmured Adre. "We're small fry and don't matter."

One of my favorite lines!

"They've gone on their share of easy missions." that end up turning into complicated run for your life or torture situations... at least if the fanfic writers get wind of them!

The part about the research into the J/K missions was funny but about Obi-Wan trying to make for his master was very insightful.

Though I was laughing when the younger one found about Melida/Daan since I have always wondered what people though about what took place there, especially those who knew him and were close to his age.

"... is a legend," Adre finished. "Legends are that way. You can't understand them, you don't know why they do what they do - but you feel compelled to let them go their own way. And you want to follow them."

Neira spoke slowly. "Nothing happens without a reason, you know? Maybe that's why Obi-Wan was apprenticed to Master Jinn. Maybe his destiny wills it. If you're able to follow legends ... maybe it's because you have the makings of a legend yourself."

I loved this description! it's perfect for them! and the ending with Obi arriving was fun!

15. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    I really liked the realness of the fic and the feel behind such a simple ?gossip? filled conversation. It made Palawan?s seem like teenagers and not just Jedi. A very refreshing perspective too and analysis the Jinn/Kenobi partnership was superb and unique and that is what I enjoyed about. I loved the part about ?if you're able to follow legends ... maybe it's because you have the makings of a legend yourself."

Great fic~!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.