main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends His Smile - Songfic/Poem (Jaina, Kyp) Inspired by Foo Fighters. 9/28 Edit + question

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tahi, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Title: His Smile
    Author: Tahi
    Characters: Jaina, Kyp (implied)
    Genre: Sort of songfic/poem inspired by "The Best of You" by Foo Fighters, from their album: In Your Honour
    Timeframe: The end of Rebirth

Notes: This poem revisits Jaina's confusion at the way Kyp was able to use his sexuality to trick her into believing that the worldship the Yuuzhan Vong were growing was a weapon that had to be destroyed.

His Smile

I?ve got another confession to make
    I?m your fool
    Everyone?s got their chains to break
    Holdin? you

Were you born to resist or be abused?
    Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?

His smile
    is a weapon
    he wields with the confidence
    of one well-versed in the art
    of underhand combat, plying
    his arsenal of feints and trickery,
    baiting the sly traps with hints
    and half-promises, enticing me,
    stirring emotions I cannot name
    . . . except in fantasies.

His smile
    is a scalpel
    deployed with the precision
    of one practised in the art
    of manipulation, skilfully,
    coldly, cutting to my heart,
    releasing a torrent of needs
    I never recognised as mine,
    and I cannot stem the flow.

His lips
    are blades
    curving slowly into couffes
    that slash through my beliefs
    desecrating the symmetry that,
    layered slowly and textured
    by nurturing years, saw child
    grow to adult, girl to woman.
    Callously they rip and reorganise,
    mindless except for blind ambition.

He who will stop
    at nothing
    to prevent tyranny,
    cannot see
    the tyrant in himself
    savaging the structures
    I hold dear
    with knowing lies,
    shaping his lips
    into that smile -
    tearing me to shreds -
    that smile, like gas
    infiltrating, insinuating,
    filling my head with clouds.

His smile
    lays me,
    flays me . . .
    betrays me,

and for that
    I cannot
    forgive him.

You gave me something that I didn?t have
    But had no use
    I was too weak to give in
    Too strong to lose
    My heart is under arrest again
    But I break loose
    My head is giving me life or death
    But I can?t choose
    I swear I?ll never give in
    I refuse

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That was beautiful! =D=

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Most excellent Tahi! Wow, if Kyp is really like this.... what book does this deal with?

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Very welll done, Master! =D=

5. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Wow, Tahi poetry and the Foo Fighters? That's a dream combination for me ;)

Outstanding work, Tahi :) You really did a great job of illustrating how Kyp manipulated her into getting Rogue Squadron involved. I really liked this part:

His smile
    is a scalpel
    deployed with the precision
    of one practised in the art
    of manipulation, skilfully,
    coldly, cutting to my heart,
    releasing a torrent of needs
    I never recognised as mine,
    and I cannot stem the flow.

Poor Jaina :( Kyp completely distracted her to get what he wanted.

Excellent use of the song lyrics as well. I would have never thought of this for them, but they seem to fit perfectly :D

6. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Tahi: Whoah!! :eek: Excellent as ever - dangerous, mobile like dancing smoke or fencing swords... physical, emotional, strangely tactile... flavoursome and dark. Rich, teeming. Teasing, sharp-edged, intangible and solid as steel.

I like it! A guilty pleasure?

:)

- The Imperial Ewok

7. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Brilliant as always my dear....

8. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    VaderLV
    Hi there, and thanks for reading. :)

Healer_Leona
    Thanks, Leona. :)

The poem is based on the incident in Rebirth where Kyp convinces Jaina that the YV are growing a new weapon, whereas it is actually a new worldship to replace one of their dying old ones. The problem is that he does it by playing on her teenage emotions and, to an extent, you could say it makes him a kind of sexual predator. Of course he sees what he did as a means to an end - but Jaina, when she realises what has happened, feels really betrayed, and I guess kind of violated.

FelsGoddess
    Thanks, padawan. That's the first Jaina piece I've ever written. :)

Yoda
    Wow, Tahi poetry and the Foo Fighters? That's a dream combination for me
    Heh heh, what would you say to some Pearl Jam and possibly some REM and Nirvana? Those cwazy plot wabbits are biting. :D

Poor Jaina Kyp completely distracted her to get what he wanted.
    Yeah - it was pretty sneaky of him. I think he regretted it later and realised he owed her.

Excellent use of the song lyrics as well. I would have never thought of this for them, but they seem to fit perfectly
    Well - I've been listening to the Foos quite a bit lately, and it occurred to me that it just seemed to fit.

Thrawn
    LOL Wow! I like the fencing swords idea - always wanted to learn fencing.

Like the guilty pleasure idea, too. ;) And yes, there's a certain amount of that involved - older experienced man/young girl syndrome. And of course Kyp knew that.

Red
    Ta very much, luv. Heh heh. [shades of Coronation Street accent]

9. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I just made a little edit in the first stanza thanks to a suggestion from Thrawn. I had "underhanded" originally to allude to the idea of "one-armed" or single-handed" combat, but have changed it to underhand. I wanted the extra syllable in "underhanded" to work as a trip in the rhythm there, but probably the comma does that job adequately. I think it is better without the extra syllable.

Thanks Thrawn. :)

Any other suggestions are more than welcome. For instance, I want the "his lips" stanza to sound a bit distanced and kind of robotic, but do you think it needs a little bit more angst?

10. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    That was brilliant. Your best poem yet, Tahi. And I really like how you wrote where she feels betratyed even as she knows she wants him. Great stuff.

11. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks, Jek. :) Yes, that was Jaina's dilemma - poor girl. Kyp knew what he was doing, too - the meanie.

12. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Love the way this poem really captures the emotion of that situation... the juxtapositioning of Kyp's manipulation and Jaina's feelings for him is brought out beautifully. I'm not really a huge Kyp or Jaina fan, but the great thing is that the poem gives such an insight into the both of them that you don't need to be. I particularly liked the line about how Kyp can't see the tyrant in himself... I wondered what he was thinking at that point, and this really explains how he rationalised things to himself. Seems very fitting with what I know of his character...

*rambling* Great poem, anyway - a pleasure to read. :D =D=

13. GoddessJainaSoloFel

GoddessJainaSoloFel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2004
    Wow, that was great! You captured the emotion and the moment so well.
    I totally agree! You've done a wonderful job of showing how much in turmoil Jaina's emotions are and how confused and hurt she is. This was an excellent poem!!!

14. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Foo Fighters?

Who could resist?

I am again impressed how you can capture depths of emotion and ideas with not only words but also with a rhythm that gives those words more power. Great job! =D=

15. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    K_A
    the juxtapositioning of Kyp's manipulation and Jaina's feelings for him is brought out beautifully.
    Thanks. :) That's exactly what I wanted to evoke - so thanks for that piece of feedback.

I'm not really a huge Kyp or Jaina fan, but the great thing is that the poem gives such an insight into the both of them that you don't need to be.
    Thanks again. In many ways it's not an unusual situation. Ans when one is young it's easy to be manipulated emotionally like this.

I particularly liked the line about how Kyp can't see the tyrant in himself... I wondered what he was thinking at that point, and this really explains how he rationalised things to himself. Seems very fitting with what I know of his character...
    Thanks again. :) The sense of integrity to character is very important to me, and in poems it's often easy to lose that.

a pleasure to read.
    Muchos gracias.

GoddessJainaSoloFel

Hi there - and thanks for reading.

You've done a wonderful job of showing how much in turmoil Jaina's emotions are and how confused and hurt she is.
    Thanks. I hate it when people do this kind of manipulation to others - so I sympathise with poor old Jaina a lot.

TKeira_Lea

Foo Fighters?
    Who could resist?

Exactamundo. :D I LOVE Dave Grohl.

I am again impressed how you can capture depths of emotion and ideas with not only words but also with a rhythm that gives those words more power. Great job!
    Thanks. [:D] That means a lot. I guess writing a poem is a bit like the Barabels' idea of hunting the moment. Poetry is not something I can just sit down and write - it IS very much a "getting into moment" kind of thing. There's a different processs goes on with poems than with prose. It's like - the poem is there, and just needs to be caught and crystallised.

Thanks for reading and reviewing - much appreciated.

16. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    ::Blinks in shock::

Wow. That could almost be a spoken word piece, perhaps mixed with the Foo Fighters song a la "The Black and Blue Album" or Danger Mouse's "The Grey Album." You ever consider freestyle hip-hop battles as another way to showcase your extraordinary talent?

I am always so moved by the poetry you post here, and I am always so close to commenting on it, but I prefer just to sit back and let it be, without needing to analyze it. It's nice to be able to enjoy poetry without the burden that comes from studying it in class.

17. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hi there Crazy Rodian. I know exactly what you mean about just wanting to enjoy without analysing. I spent years HAVING to analyse works of literature and now it IS lovely just to be able to let it wash over me rather than write about it.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It is always appreciated. :) And, yes, I do like hip-hop, much to my husband's horror. It's the wordplay I like, and the syncopated rhythms. It's a bit like a maths equation getting the words to slot in where you want them without losing the beat. A hip-hop battle would be fun.
    ;)

Thanks again

18. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    A little up for Jaina. :)

19. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Wow this was awsome! I loved the idea. Great job!

20. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hi there Princess Melissa - and thanks for reading. :)

21. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Encore une fois pour Jaina. ;)

22. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I was just listening to the Foos again so thought I'd give this another run in case there are Foo fans out there. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.